The G650 GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LarryGee, Jan 29, 2012.

1. RogerWilco

RogerWilco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When we purchased a 2011 model, we had the dealer perform the lowering option. They gave us a removed part, wrapped in bubble wrap, they had removed from the original and told us to keep it so that we could easily restore the height later. So, I would assume that at the worst, you could get the needed part(s) from the dealer.
    They indicated it was no big deal to change out.
  2. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Seth, I tried a GPR muffler so I could (1) save weight and (2) make room for more storage. The GPR was well made, reasonably priced, and came with a Db killer. I left the killer in and thought that the exhaust sounded a bit louder but not obnoxious. Then I took a multi day trip where I had to listen to the exhaust for hour after hour and I simply got tired of the extra noise. It appears that I'm that odd duck who does not like the resonance I was getting at cruising speed. Everyone else thought it was desirable. On my trip I also decided that I'm really not the off road charger I was aiming to be. That let me get rid of the extra storage and go back to OEM.

As for the license plate, thanks. My other bike has a plate that says 1K DAY. Evidently Virginia has more vanity license plates than any other state. Go figure.

FWIW, there was absolutely no gain in power or economy when I had the after market exhaust. The bike ran exactly the same. I have to wonder how Husky managed to get almost 10 extra horses out of our Rotax engine. They bumped the compression up and re-did the heads but that's quite a jump from an engine that was already in service for, what, over 15 years and pretty well developed.
  3. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Wadi, the change is more than just the suspension dogbone. I believe you have to change the shock, side stand, and center stand too. This is something you can do at home but the shock is going to be interesting. You will find that the upper shock bolt is a bitch until you raise the rear subframe. There is always someone wanting to go from one direction to the other (stock to lowered or the other way around) so you will find a buyer for your lowered stuff. Patience will win out. I'm 5' 11" and years ago I got a lowered Funduro for my height challenged daughter. When I tried to ride that bike it was painful. My big feet were dragging the ground on every corner. No such problem with my G650GS since it is the standard height.
  4. Backwardsit

Backwardsit n00b

Oddometer:
    To all those on this topic from New Zealand. Just in case I am not the last person in the country to know, Touratech now have a NZ presence. Really friendly and easy to deal with. Saves all those big shipping charges from US and prices seem comparable once exchange rates are taken into account.
  5. RogerWilco

Oddometer:
    Is there a shorter side stand available for the lowered version? Ours has the standard one and it stands the bike a bit to close to vertical for my likeing. Also, we were told that no center stand is available for the lowered version, so we never had one.
  6. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Side stand for standard bike is pn 01 46 537 669 899, for lowered it is pn 01 46 53 7 669 901

Center stand for lowered bike is pn 01 46 52 7 686 769 and it is on sale from Max BMW for $126.95; for standard bike the pn is 01 46 52 7 669 895.

All this is available on the MAX BMW web site: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=53253&rnd=03252011

Hope this helps some.

Peter Y.
  7. PACK RAT

PACK RAT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The removal of my factory pipe and install of the leo vince pipe went smoother than expected. The pipe looks and sounds great ( IMO ). The throttle is smoother and more responsive with the new pipe, other than that no HP gains have been noticed.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    Right side were muffler use to be,,
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Thanks again to Pyoungbl and Seth, your input really helped with removal of the factory pipe.. :beer
  8. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    A dab of bule locktite on the clamp holding the muffler on....highly recommended. If you lose that bolt the muffler is just hanging from the pipe.
  9. bobobob

bobobob IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Oddometer:
    You got two out of three things that account for the extra ten bhp.
    They also went with hotter cams.
    Btw, those 10 extra bhp are at the crank.
    So figure about an extra 8 bhp at the rear wheel.

Would somebody measure the diameter and length of their oem exhaust for me, please?
    Thanks.
  10. RogerWilco

Oddometer:
    Helped some? That helps a BUNCH!! Thanks!
  11. Boats313

Boats313 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Just did a quick measure of the right side, 14" x 5". By no means is this a precise measurement, just held up the tape as I walked through the garage.
  12. Adventure MotoX

Adventure MotoX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates / Used to be Ottawa
    Has anyone put a 21" wheel on the front yet? I'm looking at ordering two new Excel rims 17 rear with a 21 front much like the sertao. Share the process if you have... I'm wondering about the front fork adjustment if any or anything else?

Thanks
  13. nomad5326

nomad5326 Xventurous

Oddometer:
    You'll need to change your forks and shock. Dakar/Sertao tubes are longer.

You'll also need a spacer on the fork brace to lift it a bit depending on your tire choice.

I just did a Dakar conversion on my GF's bike but changed out forks/shock/front tire
  14. Adventure MotoX

Adventure MotoX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates / Used to be Ottawa
    Thanks,

Was the Dakar conversion on the F650GS single or the G?

I just talked to Touratech US who sells a set of Excel rims for the G650GS and F650 single with a 21" front and they said that the lower part of the forks are the same on the G650GS and the Sertao... only the upper part and the springs are longer so I would only need the spacer on the fork brace...

15. jwrare

jwrare Getting Started

Oddometer:
    Need some advice on where to purchase reasonably priced oil filter for my G 650GS, 2011. A friend said he purchased one for his 1200GS at Wal-Mart.

He said he found that info on ADVRider - but I'm not having similar luck.

Any advice out there?
  16. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Reasonably priced? If you are looking for something in the $3 range you might find a Fram cross reference but I'd stay away from their filters. Prof over at www.f650.com was clearing out a stock of stuff that included a good price on oil filters. I picked up a couple of filters along with sprockets and chain.

Peter Y.
  17. reenmachine

reenmachine Rain or Shine

Oddometer:
    Just my .02...filters aren't somewhere I shop by price. Yes, I look for the best price for the filter I deem best for my use, but I'd recommend against just buying the cheapest filter you can find.
  18. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    HiFlo 151 $5.95 at many dealers

I usually change the o ring but find it seals well for a couple of times.
    last time I found the orings at transmission supply,a bag of 5 for a couple of bucks.
  19. Davidc83

Davidc83 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. nomad5326

nomad5326 Xventurous

Oddometer:
    It was a F-single but it's the same as the G. Yes, if you can get upper fork tubes from a Dakar you can just swap them in. It may be cheaper to just buy a set of used forks depending on price. And I didn't need a spacer but if I went with a knobbier tire on it like a 606 I would definately need one. All in all the swap was easy but I took the rear into the shop to have them do it as it was kicking my arse.

There's a 21" wheel , rear shock and forks for sale on ebay.