Who else is training for King of the Motos 2013?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by trc, Mar 6, 2012.

1. trc

trc Tim Robel Concepts

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone,
    My name is Tim Robel #222 and a raced the first King of the Motos. I didn't complete the race (taped out at RM35) but I'm hooked on the Extreme Enduro riding and racing.
    I thought it might be time to start a new thread for the 2013 King of the Motos. I would love to discuss bike set up, fitness, and training for the race. All Extreme Enduro talk is welcome here. What are you doing to ride the most extreme terrain?
    Here is my Training I did on March 4, 2012 for the event!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d_UpKYBp-Bg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not training for anything other than hard riding per say, but interested nonetheless. I believe you ran a trials tire, how did it perform in the fast sections? sand?
  3. MotoMike

MotoMike Washed Up Desert Racer For The 2nd Time

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I want to attempt KOM or not. I raced, or more accurately trail rode, Last Dog Standing and that was a tough ride, not so much for the terrain, but my stamina left something to be desired. I am notorious for my lack of training, I tend to race myself into shape.

I think I'll wait until it gets closer and make a decision, it definately has me interested.
  4. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    you??

:lol3

for someone that is notorious for lack of training, you are also notorious for results.......

....you bastard

:D

personally, I have no interest is such events probably because I started riding at far too late in life and started racing WAY to late in life to ever be competitive in such an extreme race. I love watching them though and marveling at how guys like Graham Jarvis do it!

:huh
  5. trc

trc Tim Robel Concepts

Oddometer:
    The Trials tire I chose for the event was the Pirelli MT 43 rear and I already had a new Dunlop for front. The Pirelli is a great choice for the big bike! I will be taking the Dunlop off and mounting a MT 43 on the front.The Dunlop doesn't have a strong enough carcass to hold the bike up well. I ran 14 up front and still dinged a wheel. For the rear I ran the race with 5 psi in the back witch gave me great traction in the rocks! Now for the shocking part, I love it on the high speed stuff also. It's very rare that is a true win/win in life. In the desert it is very predictable and to my surprise it didn't yaw on the rim. It's a great tire choice for this type of riding. I plan on running the Big Bear dual sport ride in June and will be sporting front and rear Pirelli MT 43! :clap This is me riding the grand slab out at Cougar Buttes with 18 psi in the front. Just not enough carcass to hold up to all the weight.

[​IMG]
  6. booniebasher

booniebasher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too like the mt43, what tube did you run @ 5lbs ? what bike did you run it on ?
    I love it on the ktm 300, I have wondered about 450,s ?
    also did you say front mt43? i have only used knobbies on the front ?
  7. trc

trc Tim Robel Concepts

Oddometer:
    I ran the Mt 43 on my 04 KTM 450 exc(the bike in the pic) for King of the Motos. The rear tube is a standard light duty tube ran at 5psi with no problems. I now have 178 miles on the rear, all Extreme Enduro stuff. This even includes 35 race miles. It looks like I will get around 300 miles out of it!
    The only time the front Trials tire really comes into play is on the steep downhills! Being able to have the tire stick and me just having to work on the front brake gives me confidence. With a knobby not so much. A lot of the Extreme Enduro guys run a knobby front and rear. I will take all the help I can get with the Trials Tires!
    The KTM or Burg 300 is my next bike for doing this kind of ridding. I believe it's the ticket! I laugh because I was the only racer at KOM on a dual sport street legal bike! I hope to be on a 300 for next year! Long winded, but hope this helps!
  8. fuggy

fuggy Canyon Explorer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I agree with your comments on tires. Pirelli has the best trials tire that I've seen. Amazing how long these tires will last compared to a knobby. The KTM 300 also sounds like a great bike.:wink:

Have you done any suspension work to your current bike for extreme enduros and trials riding? Rear end looks soft in this pic.
  9. trc

trc Tim Robel Concepts

Oddometer:
    I've had the suspension resprung and revalved. It works very well. The rear is just squatting down from slamming into the ledge. I do bottom the bike out on really big hits. It's a trade off for it working well in the rocks. I still can slam whoop after whoop 65-70 mph in the desert and have full control. I don't want put any more money into this bike other than a steering stabilizer and building a proper skidplate. It works and it's just about as good as it going to get. Other than that all focus is on physical raining and gathering funds to purchase a new KTM300 XC W. Then the set up starts all over again! :clap
  10. trc

trc Tim Robel Concepts

Oddometer:
    I finally got my Pirelli front D.O.T MT 43 tire mounted and tested. Before I mounted it I checked the difference between the Dunlop Trials tire and the Pirelli. The first thing I noticed was the carcass was much stiffer on the Pirelli and its a slightly taller tire.I installed a heavy duty tube with the new tire. The second thing I noticed was it took more air pressure to make the heavy duty tube fill the inside of the tire!
    I went out training on Friday out at my favorite site, Cougar Buttes. I got warmed up and hit the grand slab with 14 psi in the front and could tell it was a stiffer tire. Now for coming down the slab. I knew the front wasn't going to be as sticky as the Dunlop but to my surprise, it worked very well. I did have a slight slip out coming down but I will chock that up as over agressive on the front brake, tire not fully scrubbed in and a very cold slab!
    We burned a full 3 gallons of gas and I'm very happy with the new front shoes. The desert sections were very predictable and I stayed in full control at all times. I aired down to 8psi in the front at the mid part of the day. This may have been too low. I will try 9-10psi next training trip to see how that all works. I think a standard duty tube is the next thing I will try. There were two of us with the Pirelli MT 43 both front and rear and we both say the same thing, for this type of riding the MT 43 is a huge advantage and a great fit! :clap
  11. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. fuggy

fuggy Canyon Explorer

Oddometer:
  13. MotoMike

MotoMike Washed Up Desert Racer For The 2nd Time

Oddometer:
    I have a friend, who when we were younger, used to be able to scrape the rear fender on the ground and recover it. The only limitation he had was running out of road.

When we took the engine apart one time, it was obvious that the top end had been starved for oil from the bike being vertical so much of the time :lol3

BTW, bike was the very first year Pro Link XR500.
  14. RobertoGatos

RobertoGatos Go-Go-GatosBros!

Oddometer:
    Sent-off my entry form as soon as I saw that registration had opened. Just bought a new 300 so I can start training. Can't wait!

[​IMG]
  15. RobertoGatos

Oddometer:
    Came across this the other day. Had not heard anything about a qualification race for teams. Sounds cool. My entry fee check was just cashed the other day. No turning back! STOKED!
  16. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    I envy you guys for taking on such a formidable event!

:thumb

make us proud!!!
  17. trc

trc Tim Robel Concepts

Oddometer:
    Right on Robert! I'm glad to see you join the madness! I too got a new 300 for the event!:clap
  18. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    that seems to be the weapon of choice.....

cant wait to see this happen again!

:lurk
  19. trc

trc Tim Robel Concepts

Oddometer:
    A pic is worth a 1000 words! Anyone looking to train together I'm in.
    [​IMG]
  20. RobertoGatos

Oddometer:
    I just got my 300 a bit ago as well, came off a ktm 450 and love it! Been going out 3-4X a week for about two hours or so between classes. Been riding as many rocks as possible, this creek bed is a few miles long. All first gear crawling:

[​IMG]