the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Harley Beemer

Harley Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After installing new Kenda K270 tires I now have a wobbley rear tire/wheel combo. Yes the wheels were balanced. Cush drive and bearings seem great. spacers great..........until after 300 mile dual sport day this Saturday. took the wheel off before day 2 and everything looked great but the spacers on each end were chewed up a bit.

What did I do wrong?

What causes the rear tire to wobble? From a close distance my buddies said the wheel and hub looked straight but who knows?

Thanks!
  2. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    I think you'll find they do better than you'd expect.
    Air down to 20f 18r and go anywhere you want...
  3. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. 40cu.in.of.furey

40cu.in.of.furey Something clever

Oddometer:
  5. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    95% sure they are cbr250rr wheels as on this site.

[​IMG]
  6. Grizz Adams

Grizz Adams When in Doubt Throttle Out!!

Oddometer:
    I just installed a TM40 on my DR. I have my DJ kit to sell with extended fuel screw. I am offering it here before going to the FM. PM me for details if you are interested. It will go to the FM later today.
  7. asrvivor

asrvivor Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer:
    Are you sure you got the spacer inside the wheel in? The long one that goes inside the wheel bearings.
  8. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    i currently have a set of distanzias on my sumo wheels, DS compound on the rear. i found them as take-offs from a DRz and got them pretty cheap. so far i'm really impressed! they feel great on the road and i rode them about 70mi of dirt/rocks this weekend. work great in the dirt, not so great on the rocks but they got me where i wanted to go.

i ran the 130/80/17 Shinko for 5000mi and was pretty happy with it, they stick well in the corners but mileage was short for my commuter. i just took off the front Shinko after 5600mi and it's hardly worn (pic/right).

i swapped to a Kenda K761 (pic/left) rear and was not impressed, is squirmy when leaned over and the wear looks pretty bad after only 1500mi. but it was cheap and works well in the dirt.

[​IMG]
  9. Dravintoad

Dravintoad Toadthumpin

Oddometer:
    I have the 705's on mine right now. I really like these tires. I spend most of my time on the road, but I like them off road as well. When aired down a bit they work just fine. Not a knobby, but way better than the stock tires for sure.

I have around 3000 miles on them right now and they still look great. My rear is the tubless/radial if that makes any difference in the rubber compound/mileage. I am not easy on the right hand either. Both the stockers and (of course) the 606's were ready to change at this point in the tires life. These just keep going and performing.

I don't see any reason to use another tire. When these wear, I will buy another set to put on there.

The price is right, the tire is perfect for my needs, they look good. What else do ya need?
  10. godaddygo

godaddygo drdude

Oddometer:
    I am looking at some racks to carry panniers...still debating what kind of bags (hard or soft) looking at the Happy trails stuff. This is a pretty specific question about the Happy trail rack and a option they offer.... so sorry for any confusion. I will put the link below. First of course you can buy the SU racks but they also offer an option of a new tail plate. Here is what the web-site says:

Add Happy Trails Tail Plate System: Specific for the DR650, this is a stand-alone tail plate. Wing-plate style eliminates the need for an underlying tubular.

http://www.happy-trail.com/Suzuki-DR650/Givi-Cases-on-Happy-Trail-SU-Racks-DR650.aspx

When you look at the picture you can see a cleaner look with their tail plate...my question is with this different mounting system is it stronger? Reworded: I can put the Su rack on with my current tail plate or replace and in the process take off the underlying tubulat bars...which one is stronger?

Welcome any insights on this brand in particular with the Givi hard bags.:freaky
    Chris
    Northern Idaho
    07 DR 650
  11. Texastater

Texastater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok I tried to do a search for this and I failed. Can someone point me to the location of the emissions sticker. It's on a 2009.
  12. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    howdy gents, any thoughts if my sumo setup on my 2000 drz400E would fit on a dr650?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    tricky to do.

DRZ400 front disc bolt hole pattern is different so you cant use the DR650 front disc. if you have a 320mm front disc on the motard wheels you may be able to find a caliper adapter to suit the DR650 forks. if its a 310mm disc it might be too tight a fit to get a caliper adapter to work.

DRZ400 rear disc is only 220mm compared to the DR's 240mm, and also bolt hole pattern is different so you cant use the DR650 rear disc. but good news here, the DRZ400SM rear disc is 240mm and bolts right on to DRZ rear wheels, and can be bought cheaply on ebay.

dr650 front axle is only 17mm compared to the 20mm of the DRZ. from memory, i dont think a bearing swap is possible but check around. DRZ front wheel bearings are 20x37x9mm so if you can find something that is 17x37x??mm then you can use your DR axle. otherwise, you will need to step your front wheel spacers when machining them, so they slot into the bearings and bring the internal diameter down to 17mm.

20mm rear axle on the DR650 is the same as the DRZ so just work out your rear wheels spacers and off you go.

so the front wheel is the only real issue. if you dont like your doughy DR front suspension, an easy fix for the front end would be to get some DRZ400E or DRZ400S forks and adapt them to the DR.
  14. goodcat8

Oddometer:
    You're the Rain Man of DR tire dimensions :eek1 Couldnt ask for better info, thanks much. Looking to swap my 400 for another 650, was going to hold onto the sumo setup if it were a direct swap. Appears not to be the case. Thanks very much for the info :thumb
  15. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
  16. goodcat8

Oddometer:
    I got my 19" excel front for my last DR from them. Great people, and turned the bike into an extra hell of a good time :freaky
  17. epix1718

epix1718 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tried putting on my supermoto wheels last night, is there a trick of getting the darn front caliper inside the wheel!?? I'm using the EBC 320mm rotor kit with adapter which is mounted on the fork, but it's almost like I can't fit the caliper between the rim and rotor when I try to put the wheel on.
  18. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC I ended up filing a small bevel onto the offending part of the caliper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Al Tuna

Al Tuna Off The Hook

Oddometer:
    Why... sprinkle yourself with a dose of common sense and spread the callapers...:deal
  20. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even with the (new) pads spread it is tight.
    A small bevel makes it easy.