Rear Shock for KLR250?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by henrymartin, Nov 17, 2012.

1. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for an upgrade to my rear shock, KLR250. The stocker is now like a pogo stick.
    My Google-fu is probably not working because I can't find anything except replacing it with a KLR650 stock shock.

Thanks
  2. OldPete

OldPete Be aware

Oddometer:
  3. emti

emti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The KLR 650 shock is the cheapest solution, I tried a used 250 shock from ebay and got screwed. The 650 shock fits ok, need to enlarge one hole, and fiddle withe carb boot/airbox fitting. emti
  4. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    I'm familiar with the thread, but didn't find what I was looking for. Some people mention KLR650 shock, other than than I found one shock for $600ish.

So, did you have the 650 shock on yours? How does it work for you? Any changes to the front springs to compensate for the stiffer rear, or did you leave your front stock?

I love the little KLR for woods riding, I just don't want to bounce around too much :lol3
  5. beergut

beergut Thumper

Oddometer:
    Call Rick at Cogent Dynamics.
  6. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    Are his shocks better than the Hagon? Asking because there is about $200 price difference.
  7. emti

emti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It lowers the rear of the bike about an inch or so I just raised the forks an inch to match .Still have the stock front springs. I dont have a better dirt bike to compare it to but it seems ok within the expectations of a KLR 250. For some reason afternarket shocks are expensive. My only issue is/was getting a good seal withe carb to airbox boot. emti
  8. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I started looking at the Hagon shock, but yeah, it's expensive. Maybe it would be easier and cheaper to find a proper dirtbike shock in the same length and then have a machine shop modify what needs to be done.

KLX250 shocks seems much cheaper on fleebay and the bike weight/power is just about the same.
  9. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:
    This

I am not familiar with the quality of Hagon, but Ricks stuff is top shelf. I can tell you for sure that Cogent Dynamics shocks are 10X better than a progressive. I won't use anyone else.
  10. seekerhiker

seekerhiker Starbuck

Oddometer:
    I have instructions on installing a KLR650 shock in the KLR250 here - http://youtu.be/k6xwxYsuIOQ

The man who can make the pin replacement/sleeve/adapter is Ian Smith at MotorSmith:

8 Wicket Street
    Unit 8
    Pine Meadow, CT
    860-751-9026
    fellesh@yahoo.com
  11. Dominic49

Dominic49 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just did the same swap on my bike without having to order any custom parts (factory pieces off the klr650 will cure the hole being to small issue.) Off the shelf bolts and spacers. (the head of the 650 bolt had to be shaved down a little to clear the dog bone.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also swapped the 250 spring on to the 650 shock as it is a slightly higher spring rate.

I did however decide to make a new upper link to take care of the intake boot clearance issue and the height issue. (optional)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    singleslammer likes this.
  12. rube

rube Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dominic,

Thank you for the part numbers and photos.

What did you use for the sleeve for the extension link (shackle) you built?

I'm getting ready to do this swap on my klr250 and like you extension link solution to avoid the compression on the carburetor boot.

Thanks again,

rube