New OSSA Explorer 2012

Discussion in 'Trials' started by vander, Oct 7, 2011.

1. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for that link. Cool to see it in action. I must say, watching him ride that bike up the steep rocky sections was less than exhilarating. I can't wait to see a few more videos of people riding them fast. It looks like the seat will rarely be used.
  2. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    It's based on the Ossa trials bike chassis, so regardless of what the seat and fender look like, it's still a trials bike under all that bodywork. The seat might change the look of the bike, but it's still really low and only for sit-down sections at most. Riding one "fast"(depending on your perception of that) is a completely different experience than riding most other motorcycles of any type at the same velocities over the same trail, road or terrain.
  3. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it is STIL, but that's some of the slowest motorcycle riding I've ever seen on video.
  4. GoThere@50

GoThere@50 Getting older, poorer and possibly wiser.

Oddometer:
    And that's a good thing! I'm sure if you tried to ride the explorer like you would an EXC or WR you would find it disappointing. Ride it like a trials bike, enjoy the extended range, comfort and versatility and you might find slow speed technical trail nirvana. Admittedly a niche bike for a niche market, but can you think of a better technical terrain tool? Assuming the rider is willing to adapt his or her riding style to trials skill sets. That's a challenge I would find exciting.
  5. hilslamer

Oddometer:
    A WR or EXC will do amazing things under someone with a real trials skillset - that they learned on a trials bike, in real competition where rules apply and you are being observed and scored. Anyone from Malcolm SMith to Guy Cooper to Jeremy McGrath to David Knight to Taddy Blazuziak will tell you the same thing. While most are very good on a trials bike, they all saw early on that it helped with all of their other skills that they used as professionals.

I applaud the concept but I think it is being mispercieved as the "perfect blend" - all of the marketing videos show riders with excellent trials skillsets, riding it like a trials bike...they could get on many other bikes and ride the same terrain just as well, I promise you. They are taking a trials bike and making an enduro bike out of it and benefitting from that heritage, but it is still a small motorcycle with relatively fragile suspension and the pegs are set very rearward and the head angle is very steep. It will be a handfull in any sort of sand or soft terrrain...not unrideable, but also not easy at all.

Lastly, is that most people don't realize that the steering sweep of a trials bike means that when you are seated on something like the Ossa Explorer, the handlebar will actually contact your leg and "pinch" it between the bar and the chassis at either side of full-lock. Not to mention, if you ever hit something that the suspension can't eat and/or wheel won't roll over head on with the front wheel steered slightly off-center, you'll find yourself with the handlebar in your thigh or stomach. Ask me how I know, I have pictures of the hematomas to prove it. Yes, Ihave abused my trials bike but it abused me back...

Again, it will work fine for what most people that want to learn technical riding, but they'd be just as better off getting a trials bike and buying the skillsets with practice and competition and then take those to their "big" bikes. JMO, though...to each his own.
  6. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:

Well said, Hilslamer. :nod
  7. hilslamer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

"I will relish the day when everyone sees truth as authority, and not authority as truth."
  8. DerViking

DerViking Shred

Oddometer:
    I want one for my better half :evil
  9. xpuente

xpuente n00b

Oddometer:
    At last it has been "estrenada".

Very light. Its perfect for narrow trails. Not bad on wide tracks. I'm 1.84m tall and the bike fells ok when you sit. Huge tank gas. Bad "ostia", definitely is a 2-stroke. Maybe trial gear-box is a bit uncomfortable (The gap between 4th and 5th gear is huge).

A stupid video of the first ride http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlVTRJK7MjE
  10. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    great video xpuente, thanks!
  11. hilslamer

Oddometer:
    Great 'real world' vid...not sure where you live, but desperately wish I had that stuff out my front door! I didn't mention the gearbox in my previous post...later on in its development, the GasGas Pampera got an exclusive correctly spaced gearbox, and like all transmissions, it "made" the bike in many ways. Its a bummer that Ossa has neglected that, apparently.

+1!!!
  12. xpuente

xpuente n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks :) This is Cantabria (North Spain). More or less over here

Although the gearbox Its not "too" annoying, a larger 4th will be helpfull. In any case the engine is still breaking-in and it might be less noticeable later.
  13. Elefant

Elefant Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I haven't ridden an Ossa (or any trials bike for that matter since the TR80, 349 blanca, or a last model sherpa (aka top of the line BEST dual shock bikes ever bilt). In other words, before Ossa and Bultaco shut down, ort Honda bought and shut down Montesa. But if my memory doesn't deceive me, that IS the way they are (were) supposed to be. Fifth being used to ride from zona to zona on public roads.
    That's why I am following the explorer closely. If it is avaliable, and "tageable" here in PA, I will be a strong candidate to buy one. Otherwise, I'll keep looking for a 348 trail. I refuse to have to trailer or truck it. BUT, it must have a seat from factory. I want on it and off it. Couple hours and done. If I have to make a big production out of it..... Forget it.

Saludos.
  14. xpuente

xpuente n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes. I think the bike is a state-of-the-art tribute to those old glories :) I never have ride one of those but this seems to be a great DS .

Yes... I understand the zone-to-zone . The funny thing is that she has a 6th gear. Probalby both (the bike and myself) we need to break-in :D
  15. xpuente

xpuente n00b

Oddometer:
    Another video... (still very easy but with images from narrow trials, to asphalt roads)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY5ULzBvoVs

Absolutely perfect machine. When you get how to use the clutch, the gear box is perfect.
  16. KnowFear

KnowFear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ossa Canada has them in stock now.
  17. Rockcat

Rockcat LDA

Oddometer:
    I see one on eBAY with a buy it now for $7995.
  18. KnowFear

KnowFear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got mine yesterday! Running-in period starts tomorrow.
  19. whitham_wannabe

whitham_wannabe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sooooo ...?

We are all ears :ear
  20. KnowFear

KnowFear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Context: I'm fairly new to dirt riding (2 years), but have been riding on the street for 25+ years. Age = 46.

I had been trail riding a Husaberg 390 in our tight, slippery, Pacific Northwest trails. It is an amazing dirt bike, but too much of a handful for me. Docile motor, but throwing it around the local trails is too much work. My buddy rides a Beta Rev 3 and I can barely keep up with him.

Anyway, this Explorer is a real delight. I have 5 hours on it so far. This is my first trials bike, and first 2-stroke. I really like the motor a lot, much more than I expected. It has taken me a little while to get used to a trials bike, and I still have a lot to learn.

Tight muddy trails are now WAY more manageable (as expected!)

I ordered my Explorer with the suspension from the pure trials version (adjustable Marzocchi forks, and Ohlins shock.) The standard Explorer comes with more basic suspension components.

- light weight
    - plush suspension
    - fuel capacity

DISLIKES:
    - no mudguard to protect the shock & linkage
    - bitch to clean
    - fit & finish is not up to Husaberg standards
    - ignition key location is stupid -- I relocated it
    - passenger grab bar is dangerous -- I have removed it