Cam Newton breaks Manning's record

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TheVikingRider, Sep 11, 2011.

1. WaterWheel

WaterWheel Multi Talentless

Oddometer:
    After watching him chuck for over 400 yds against GB yesterday, I'd say if he works at his accuracy, the sky's the limit. He's got a cannon, he can scramble and he's hard to bring down.

The Panthers have themselves a helluva QB. With a good QB coach and Offensive Coordinator designing/calling plays around his strengths, look out.
  2. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:

I wish he would run less. That is going to end up taking a toll on him. He is big, strong and durable, but he's in the pros now and the hits add up. I am happy for him.
  3. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    “His football IQ is off the charts,” Darius continues. “I love his body language. I love the way he walks down the field. You know he’s a leader."

Darius Rucker said the comment above as he apologized for his comments re CM. Nice of him to man up.....maybe some of the other haters will follow suit.
  4. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    An interesting article - linky
  5. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    I think we can all safely assume than BS is fairly miserable today. :wink:
  6. TheVikingRider

TheVikingRider mudonmymind

Oddometer:
    To all the haters :fyyff

Cams gunna break every record in the book by the time its all over. One of the best rookie qb seasons of all time.
  7. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
  8. Fleece Johnson

Fleece Johnson Husky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He's no Tim Tebow............. :deal

In all seriousness though..... The seasons he AND Andy Dalton are having are not receiving near the attention they should be. Both will probably be at the Pro Bowl with both of them being 1st alternates according to what I've read.
  9. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    True that - he's actually playing. :wink: Hey - where did all the Cam haters go?

It's almost been two full seasons at this point and we're all painfully aware that old Cam suffered a little bit of a sophomore letdown but, as of the last 4 games, he's back on-track. He may break 4,000 yards passing again this year.

It's always fun to compare QB's so let's compare Cam to a contemporary like Peyton Manning who I admire more than any other current quarterback. A real leader - a real student of the game who has mastered it - someone for a young QB to aspire to be.

Their first two years - keeping in mind that PM's numbers are for full two seasons (32 games) and Cam at 29 games, hasn't finished the second year yet:

Peyton Manning
    Passing Yards: 7,874 yards
    Rushing Yards: 135
    Total yards: 8,009
    Passing TDs: 52
    Rushing TDs: 2
    Total TDs: 54

Interceptions: 43
    Comp %: 59

Cam Newton
    Passing Yards: 7,271 yards
    Rushing Yards: 1,346
    Total yards: 8,617
    Passing TDs: 37
    Rushing TDs: 21
    Total TDs: 58

Interceptions: 27
    Comp %: 59​

Two years does not career make otherwise Bo Jackson would be in the HOF - but that's a thread for anther day.

I'm still a Cam Newton fan and sure, he still has to mature a bit but he's done nothing to sway my confidence in him yet.
  10. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    no John Skelton comparo?

:lol3
  11. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    Well, until 2012. :lol3
  12. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Low blow.

:lol3

It may take a little Luck to better Cam's rookie season. :wink:
  13. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    "Newton threw for 248 yards in the win, which is noteworthy in that the Panthers' quarterback now has the most passing yards in his first two seasons in NFL history. Newton's 7,920 yards topped Peyton Manning's 7,874 set in 1998-99."

Of course, there are two or three that might break Cam's record next year. :lol3
  14. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    It is going to be harder for him to do it all by himself, like college. He needs to figure that out to be a great QB, or he will be just another stat rattler with no rings.
  15. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Needs to figure out what? Like college? Auburn had a lot of luck but the defense wasn't bad either. If you use the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), Auburn's defense was ranked 8th. Yeah - hard for me to believe too. With that index, they were the top-ranked SEC team too.

Adam Schein said it this way, "It can't get worse. His 2012 season has been a public regression and a black eye. Newton needs to understand the difference between perception and reality."

Perhaps Adam was too distracted by the narrative (that's perception versus reality) to see his stats. He had more passing yards than Manning had in his first two years and rushing? No contest. About 130 yards for Peyton - in two years - and 1400+ for Newton. Am I saying that he's better then Peyton? Hell no - as far as I'm concerned, Peyton is the current gold standard with Roethlisberger, Brady and Rogers.

Does he need to mature a bit and step up? Based on this last 6 games, I'd say he made great progress and is right where he wants to be. Carolina needs a better defense and better special team play - those are far bigger issues than the QB.
  16. OuttaMyWay

OuttaMyWay I shook his hand!!!!!1! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two more years on his contract, then the winning can start. With another team.
  17. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Might be the best solution but I still think that Carolina mgt wants to invest and win. Time will tell 'eh?
  18. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Guess who's back at Auburn?

"Newton enrolled at Auburn last month to work on finishing his sociology degree – a promise he made to his mother when he left school two years ago. Newton, who is a semester and a half short of his degree, said being back on campus was wild initially."

While I expected Cam to be a good NFL quarterback, I didn't anticipate that he'd ever return to Auburn. That sets a good example.

I am also extremely pleased at the way Mike Shula has helped to develop Cam. I've been a Shula fan since his days at Alabama. :evil
  19. docwells7

docwells7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Must not make laptop joke...must not make laptop joke...:lol3
  20. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

You know you want to. Go ahead. No one will get hurt. All the other kids are making jokes. You don't want to be left out, do you? Come on, it's harmless fun.... :D