ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    What switch do you have now?

The stock Euro KTM CEV one is super compact and also very durable. I've got an extra if you need one.

[​IMG]
  2. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    That looks cool. Can I run over and pick up your extra!!! Oh wait you are in Austria!

Do you have info on how I can order one? Cost?

Thanks
  3. helotaxi

helotaxi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's the stock US market switch setup. The real problem with it is that the housing is too thick on the back side of the bar. As a result the thumbscrew adjuster on the clutch lever hits the housing if the perch is moved any further toward the end of the bar.

[​IMG]

I might take you up on that offer. I just wonder if the wiring harnesses are the same between the US and Euro spec models.
  4. Lulu7404

Lulu7404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in the same boat. I am about to give in and buy the new switch that is plug and play. I fiddled with it just enough to ease pressure on HDB spacer, but now my clutch won't engage all the way. When I go from neutral to first it grabs pretty good. I almost have to put it in neutral at stops to keep it from pulling... Could we get some pictures from those not having problems. That have EXC's not XCW's. We know why those who were smart enough to get the XCW have yet another reason they made the better choice...:lol3 I have a feeling that a smaller switch is in order, since Paul himself used his XCW for fitment I am sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    ya gotta get rid of the stock switch housing, and get a smaller switch housing.

Paul at HDB sells these types of switch housings for a good price:

[​IMG]

With a better switch housing, you can get the clutch in much closer. In my case, I moved to a better clutch lever as well

[​IMG]
  6. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok I know that switch from my buddies US spec Husaberg, it is indeed quite bulky especially at the back and if I remember correctly it does not even allow you to switch off the headlight due to DOT regulation? I'm pretty sure that is the only difference with the Euro light - which does allow switching off - and the rest of the wiring is plug & play. KTM is pretty good that way, I have had that same switch on all my KTMs, from my first 1998 620 SC all the way to the 2012 fuel injected FE570.

I can take some detailed pics of the wiring colors tomorrow so you can compare it to yours. Here is what the plugs look like, I assume they are the same?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll try to find out the part numbers, but I know you can order it from US dealers. Unfortunately it's very expensive, you need a couple of parts and all together retail is almost $150... :eek1
  7. avconnect

avconnect Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get the switch from Sicass Racing. I am installing one tonight and am confident it will solve the problem. Here is a link for the part. http://sicassracing.com/store/produ...switch?zenid=0135266039b4713069dded36ba0b8681
  8. helotaxi

Oddometer:
    Except they are currently out of stock. First place I looked.

It looks like the HDB switch housing might be the answer, but I assume that there will be some cutting and splicing required? How deep is it behind the bar?
  9. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adapter: 13011070060
    Screw x2: 0985040163
    Screw X2: 0084040223
    Nut X2: 0934040003

I think that's it.
  12. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    That sucks I wont bust you EXC guys balls over this one.

Have any of you looked into making a different Clutch line instead of having to mess with the wiring? It would be alot cheaper and faster.
  13. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    We spent the day at the track :ricky

[​IMG]

This evening I pulled the bike apart and put new springs in and installed a scotts.
    Also went with a different height riser... its perfect now :thumb

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love how changing the spring in the rear is a 2 minute job :thumb

[​IMG]

pardon the crappy tapatalk hosted compressed pics from my phone
    [​IMG]
  14. avconnect

avconnect Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Is the problem with the EXC or with the HDB top clamp mount.

I have no issues but I run normal bark busters and standard levers. All seem to work fine for me.

I do have a question on EXC wiring. If I use the Sicass switch will it allow me to run the bike without turning on the lights etc. I am constantly forgetting to turn off the bike when stopped. Just not use to it. I have no use or desire for a key switch.

Any suggestions?
  16. avconnect

avconnect Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock EXC obviously did not have the problem. The HDB top clamp created the problem where the clutch line runs straight into the HDB pivot. The line needs to plunge down sooner to clear. Right now, mine goes above the pivot but it is tight enough to raise concern about wear. The stock KTM switch has turn signal, high low and horn. It was too wide and deep for an aftermarket clutch lever to clear. I discovered the problem with the switch when I installed the KTM hard parts orange bling folding lever. I will try to upload pictures tonight of where I stand. I have talked with Paul at HDB about the issue and sent photos. He has not offered a solution. There is a company back in Ohio or something like that that can make a custom clutch line with cool colors (yes orange) that will solve the clearance issue. I just cannot bear to pay $100+for the thing so I am going to wait to see how the slightly longer EE clutch line wears.
  17. avconnect

avconnect Long timer

Oddometer:
    And yes, you can eliminate the key withoutconcernfor the battery. Also, their is an off position on the headlight switch for the Sicass switch. I have the Baja Squadron insert so it only works on high beam.
  18. helotaxi

Oddometer:
    I've though about it. Do you know if the clutch MC is threaded for a standard brake banjo bolt? If so, it should be a simple matter to replace the factory line and its inline fitting with a normal brake line of the correct length. It looks like a standard fitting on the clutch end.
  19. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    I dont know what the thread pitch on the bolt is and if a typical banjo will fit but,

Id be willing to bet in ANY industrial town inthe USA you can get a new Clutch line made any way you want , Howedver the Orange may be hard to come by
  20. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys, I'm looking into the problem, not having an EXC but an XCW I didn't see or fully understand the problem. I'll pull mine apart and try and emulate the switchgear issue with my bike, see what I can do to minimize the problem without it cascading into buying more parts on your end.

Is this a good representation of how far away the clutch perch is on the EXC?

[​IMG]

Do we have any other issues I need to look into? Let me know.
    Thanks, Paul