2013 RMAR Colorado Adventure Motorcycle 1000

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Big_John, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    After lugging a 5+ pound two man tent and an excellent but heavy Exped sleeping mat on the TAT I'm making an effort to cut some weight for this ride. Tonight I chumped off and ordered a one man Nemo Obi 1 one-man tent. Just a little over 2 pounds. No footprint; I'll use some house wrap instead. The Exped will stay home and a much lighter 2.5" air mat will go along. In for a penny, in for a pound, or five; ordered a Shorai battery too. That's getting almost ten pounds out of the deal, and will let me use a smaller duffel too. I try to keep all of my necessary camping stuff in the duffel so that if a quick tent pitch is needed you can just toss the duffel inside and crawl in after it before setting up housekeeping. Hopefully we won't have to pitch camp in the rain, but one never knows. I presume there are no motels up at 11,000 feet, right John?
  2. Velolion

Velolion Born on 2 wheels

Oddometer:
    Ya, you can't really air your boots out in a bivvy, either. :wink:
  3. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    I am trying to remember, but I think we had at least three nights in 2012 where it lightly rained/drizzled most of the night. Staying dry and having a small tent to keep you, some of your gear and your clothing/boots out of the rain is probably a really smart thing to do.

If you doubt, you might ask a certain fellow that brought his tent, but forgot the rain fly in 2012.......he was not a happy camper in a wet bag.

I have a 2-man tent that packs tiny and is plenty of room for me and my gear.....and weighs about 2lbs.

And yes.....it is amazing how much better I sleep with a 2.5" thick, air/foam sleeping pad. And don't go 'Cheap Charlie' on this little item either.....there is another guy who was heard every night....re-pumping his bargain pad....2-3 times.

My setup looks huge and bulky, but it is pretty light. The big duffel on the top has my tent, sleep pad and sleep bag. (it takes up space but weighs less than 10lbs.) I am a huge fan of the Wolfman gear, as you can see.

Despite me missing the last night and day in '12 (blown steering stem bearings), I still did over 900 miles packed this way and the bags and gear were awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Big_John

Oddometer:
    The big question for me and a bike and the '13 CAM is.......do I go even lighter? If I decide to ride the 426, it is about 70lbs lighter than the XRR Pig.

I am leaning to the 426, but I will need to re-spring and shore up the sub-frame in the rear fender area and add the big Acerbis Desert Tank to get over a 150 mile range (which is required on the CAM).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been planning on using my 25 degree Western Mountaineering bag on this trip, but then I read "-15 degrees"; is it liable to be that cold? I've been up there in July, but not the end of August, and never spent the night that high. Would those that have fill us in on what to expect? If I need a warmer bag, I want to start shopping soon. I'm sure I would be comfortable in my WM 25 to below 25 F with some extra layers.
  6. Big_John

Oddometer:
    I thought my 15 degree down was perfect. My son has taken his 30 degree bag on a couple of summer trips in the Rocky's and he was cold.

Even in August, at 10k and higher....it is not uncommon to drop into the 20's and for flakes to fall.

7. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:

... which all happened on the 2012 ride. We had blowing sideways sleet/snow on top of a pass. Our coldest night was 20 degrees at over 10K feet one night. A couple other nights we had rain during the night. And, we also had a day or two where temps reached over 90F.

It's best to be prepared, including bringing your tent fly and installing it every night. :evil

More importantly, we had an awesome week of riding that every one of us will remember for the rest of our lives.

Yes, it's that awesome!
  8. Big_John

Oddometer:
  9. Velolion

Velolion Born on 2 wheels

Oddometer:
    Whether it's a bivvy, single wall or double wall tent I'd say someone would have to be pretty insane to do a trip like this, regardless of the time of year or forecast, without that shelter being waterproof. My bivvy is waterproof/breathable (and tested thoroughly...I just moved here from Seattle!) and for motorcycle it's extremely awesome because I lay it out and put the bag inside before the trip, then the whole thing still stuffs in my sleeping bag stuff sack. All I've got to do at the end of a day of riding is pull the deal out of my bag, throw it on the ground, and it's ready to go.

Even with a tent the inside will often get damp (even to the point of dripping) due to condensation buildup from breathing through the night, especially if it's a cold night. Both of my good bags are down, but with a (good) DWR coating, so inside the bivvy or tent even if it get slightly damp from condensation I've never noticed it. I have had the little window on my bivvy freeze up during cold nights from my breath, though! If you were travelling with a non-waterproof bivvy then I really feel for ya -- I bet it became a big bathtub!

Everybody definitely has their own little systems and tricks and stuff. I've tried to select the stuff I use such that it's as compact and light as possible without causing me to have to suffer at night. Although most of my stuff is very light, compact is actually the more important attribute for me, as the less bulky the stuff I'm carrying is is the less my on-bike movement gets inhibited...I like riding my dirtbikes like they're dirtbikes, not big tanks. I ride a big tank of a motorcycle when I want to ride that way! I also always try and make sure I don't have anything flappy (and definitely not wobbly) on the bike as that kind-of stuff can easily catch an obstacle and put you ass over teakettle in a heartbeat! :rofl

-Brian
  10. bouldertag

bouldertag WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer:
    Is there any more places left open to sign up? If so how do I begin the process? Just PM you Big John? I know I am way late but just in case.

thanks,

boulder
  11. Big_John

Oddometer:

We have about 3 slots left. I have had 6 reach out to me recently, but am not sure to their level of interest. So, three slots are still available.

You need to PM me your email address and then I will send you the first document with details to help you make a decision.

12. bouldertag

bouldertag WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer:
    PM'd You thanks.
  13. Big_John

Oddometer:
    I think this ride is closed.

Final registrations will be sent to thoses that I have exchanged notes and emails, in the next couple of weeks.

14. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    But, we do still have several positions open on our new RMAR ride, the RMAR San Juan 500. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851307

This other ride is not quite as extreme, and is suitable for experienced dirt riding 2up riders. This ride will be at least 500 miles long over 3-1/2 days, with three nights on the trail. It also happens to start and end in Silverton, CO, just in time for the Rendezvous.

So, if you missed out on the CAM1K, come check out the SJ500.
  15. joelisac

joelisac Rotorhead

Oddometer:
    Is there a waiting list?
  16. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Joe,

If there wasn't a waiting list for the CAM1K, I'm sure John will start one.

I replied to your email regarding the SJ500, but got a bounce. PM me your correct email address, and I'll get the info on the SJ500 email out to you.
  17. Big_John

Oddometer:

We have just sent out the instructions for the first responders to secure their spot. We will give them a little time. After a few weeks, if we still have spots, I will send out information to those that reply to this thread seeking information.

John
  18. Big_John

Oddometer:
    While the YZ is a smokin awesome trail bike........

I will be on the Pig again in 2013..... She is just so awesome for this type of ride.

[​IMG]
  19. Big_John

Oddometer:
    We had a couple of guys back out do to work, etc......

First to PM me gets the slots.....

John
  20. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to ride up from Montrose and meet you fellas one night!