The little/light Camper Trailer Thread...

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jurgen, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I've been camping my whole life, so the tips for basic campground use I've got down pretty well... it's the RV that's new. :D
  2. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Did you have shower shoes on your packing list? Hmmmm?

:shog
  3. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    I never go anywhere without my headlamp. I LOVE IT!!

I wear it so often that I forget I still have it on my head. :deal :eek1 :lol3 :norton
  4. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    A mini Weber you can connect to the propane is handy. Everything from pizza, nachos to steaks.:dg

[​IMG]

We hook ours right to the rig's tanks. Set it up on one of these from Coleman as they pack small.

[​IMG]

Then there's the dark side of RVing...

[​IMG]

So you know.

[​IMG]

You'll soon learn that it's like outfitting a second home - largely because it is. Good times, though.
  5. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    It's true. And once you have it properly kitted, you don't have to pack! Just get in it and go. :clap

Yeah, remember the stinky slinky gloves...
  6. Hannda

Oddometer:
    :nod I have friends who keep a set batch of clothing in their RV. Jeans, socks and underwear, t-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, raincoat, etc. Only have to pack any clothing that would be specific to the trip they're taking.
    So you don't get poo-poo-paws? :lol3
  7. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    Very nice--- tell me about the rebates? :ear

no wait, no don't, don't :lol3
  8. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    :rofl

We got $5000 off the sticker, and they gave us more for our trade than we paid for it. First time I can remember feeling like I got a screaming deal... instead of that vague feeling of having been screwed.
  9. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I would add, maintenance meds (7 day supply) in case you forget when leaving the house
    Build a med kit that fits your activites and keep it in the trailer. Date it on the outside. Blue tape with month/yr is sufficient. Change out meds yearly.

I ended up dumping the dishes and went with paper plates and bowls.
    Add spices that are your mainstay. I cook ribs, burgers (red meat) when I camp. So I have spices that go well with that.
    If items in the trailer are time sensitive, find a spot and write down the date of the items, again blue tape works very well. The inside of a compartment drawer is perfect. Example, trailer tires are time sensitive not mileage senstive. I changed mine every 3 years. You will find a bunch of discussion about this, (just like opinions about oil, etc)
  10. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean. I alternate between vague and just knowing.

I like the color BTW. The Nissans are the best looking of the current mid-size pickups IMHO.
  11. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Don't think it's been mentioned yet but pack stuff to change a tire or four - a spare with air (I know that sounds obvious but you'd be surprised), tire iron and a jack.

With tandem axles these work pretty good in place of a jack assuming your situation allows it.

[​IMG]

Stack them up in any configuration you can to ride the good tire up on lifting the flat tire off the ground to remove/reinstall a good one.

They're also handy for leveling the camper while setting up. Wooden blocks do as well but don't stay in place as well if using for pitstop tire changes.

Pack a tire gage.:deal Be religious about checking them before hitting the road heading out and heading home. A method to inflate one wouldn't hurt.

We were fortunate enough to learn of Carlisle Tire's 'bad run' of rubber a few years back. You can't get off the road fast enough when you're watching 4-5 feet of rubber flop around and beat the heck out of your camper with each revolution.:eek1

Had more than one flat before we learned what the story was but in the process we got the 'trailer tire religion' from our tire guy - check them each and every time before towing.

One more tip - store the keys to anything you take camping (camper, roof rack, trailer hitch mount, etc) in the glove box of your tow rig. That way you'll always have them where you need them.:deal
  12. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not necessarily: it may just mean it's wired for 110 & needs a shoreline of some sort.
  13. Hannda

Oddometer:
    Good to know. :thumb
  14. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Some data points:

* had a brief gig at a tool rental place awhile back and one thing that I quickly discovered was that tools and generators with Honda engines were usually preferred because they started quicker and easier than any other engine

* out here in the South Texas oil patch the Honda generators are far and away the most popular for that class of small generator on the back of a light or medium truck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  15. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    If that little one will run an AC unit, I'll be all over it. We've got a bunch of boondocking planned.
  16. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    Be wary of gas with ethanol of you are going to use a genny and not use it very often. The ethanol fuel has a short shelf life and will cause you a lot of carb problems later. DAMHIK :cry

Stabil in the fuel seems to help some but I run my genny every month like religion and burn a 1/4 to a 1/2 tank through to get old gas out and new gas in. PITA, but it saves on trips to the repair man.
  17. cablebandit

cablebandit Web Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Score one for the Yamaha if you like to run the carb dry before storage.
  18. WildAnCrazymtl

WildAnCrazymtl Political Prisoner

Oddometer:
    People's Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
    This is really cool but I think they want too much... I was quoted $8000.00 up here in Quebec Canada. Are the US prices similar ?

:ear
  19. WildAnCrazymtl

WildAnCrazymtl Political Prisoner

Oddometer:
    People's Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
    This is what I was quoted $8000.00. It is a tent on a lightweight trailer. I am not sure a bike could pull this, anyway I would not try it.

It is really cool but in my opinion too expensive for what you get!

Thoughts...
  20. cablebandit

cablebandit Web Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems easier to haul a tent on the bike.