1986 XR600R Basket case - Hope to revive!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LandsVW, Oct 20, 2012.

1. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    doesn't melt the plastic?
  2. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    OK in know 88-90 have the spring loaded balancer as thats what I opted to use on mine...you sent me a single gear one from a 96 along with the crank...

so 87 and down are single and only 88-90 and xrls have the spring loaded gear balancer? aka split gear?

that makes sense:D
  3. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bought a bulb and fixed headlight today... (some kind of fog light halogen, 55w, but Oreilly Auto had it for 6$)
  4. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I haven't advanced much on the bike. Waiting for some money to get the next item - which will be an exhaust baffle/diffuser. However, I noticed that after the first start using starting fluid, that day while it was hot, it ran fine. However, when it cooled down that evening I haven't been able to start it since.

Today I took the bowl off the left side carb and cleaned everything. I didn't see anything really horrible, a few little drops of liquidy red goo in the bottom cup, but I couldn't see through pilot jet (which I assume is the idle jet. my XR100 used to clog up and not idle). I cleaned this, sprayed WD through all the ports, reassembled and she fired!

Has a 125 jet in the left carb. the idle mixture screw is in 1 1/2 ( I left it alone not knowing the actual setting).

I pulled the 17mm plug out of the other carb too. It looked clean too.

Has anyone replaced the phillips screws with little bolts? The inside screw was damaged by a PO and I had a heck of a time getting it out. resorted to a thin chisel to knock it loose.

That's it for now. Once I get that baffle in I can drive it around a little more. At this point it is a obnoxious police magnet.
  5. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also, anyone have an opinion or source on tank covers? This bikes tank is ugly, looks like PO painted white, over the original stickers, etc.
  6. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried a trick that I saw on this forum somewhere, a heat gun on the plastic. I heated the rear fender until it started to shine, then wiped it with a paper towel. took the scum/old paint right off! I did the whole fender and then went back over it, heating until it shined (melts the surface I think) but this time not touching it. Looks 100% better. Original color, no fading, no scratches. HOWEVER The tank MUST be a different kind of plastic. I started on it, but it started to bubble...
    I stopped before I ruined anything. Front fender, rear fender and headlight bezel seem to be the same but the tank Definitely is NOT. So, I used a vertical razor blade on the tank. Most of the paint is coming off pretty nicely and I'm not destroying anything. Still am wondering about a tank cover tho?
  7. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Craigslist came through for me again. I drove to Eugene today and picked up a 1989 XL600RF 2 carb with a blown motor for 50$. PO had the head off. Huge hole in piston. May have dropped a valve seat? Anyway, good news is, has all street legal components! Nice tank, lights, wiring, speedo, etc. etc. last licensed in 1999. Has an extra ebay head and piston too. Looks like the original head is absolutely toast... AND I am mostly moved in to the new house, with a decent lighted garage!
    Merry Christmas All!
  8. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A 1989 XL600??? You sure of the year?? Fat finger typing???
  9. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oops, 1985 XL600R.

I will try to get some pictures of the damage, as that's always gruesomely fun...

Now, decision time: Will i have a better bike over all (all things being equal) if I street the XR, or put the XR engine in the XL?
  10. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this is a sickness... How many will I have before I have to check myself in to XR/XL anonymous?
  11. Zombie_Stomp

Zombie_Stomp Aspiring human

Oddometer:
    Great deal on the XL. Only put the XR engine in it if it is the dual carbureted one.... I think it is.... yeah. Do that. That's the best option for getting it road legal. I consider the XL frame to be slightly sturdier in the rear portion since it was designed to carry a passenger, but the downside is that you can't take the head off the engine while it is in the frame like with the XR. Also the XL suspension is less off-roady and then if you're going to want to swap the XR stuff onto it you almost might as well plate the XR. Anyway, these are my opinions.
  12. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks for the opinion! I'm still thinking about all of this: The XR has a Montana title, and 'should' transfer to Oregon, but that is a gray area. The XL has a 'lost' title, but I know the guy that knows the guy who's name it's titled/registered in... It was last plated in 99. I just have to figure out what becomes legal to put a plate on the back, how much money I will have to expend, and how much trouble it will be...

The XL looks really nice, and is intact except for the engine. It has 25,000 miles on it though and has been sitting outside (with a tarp over it) for 2 years.

The XR is all together now and running well, and seems to be pretty low mileage (although how can I tell? besides obvious wear).

My first thought: bolt the speedometer, rear fender and turn signals on the XR, and then take it to the DMV and see what happens (make it look legal, LOL). If it passes, spend the time to transfer wiring etc. over to it?

The DMV lady said all she is concerned about is the VIN, but I"m assuming it would do well to have the a speedometer/odometer in place with some numbers on it, plus the turn signals. She said it didn't have to be running or run...

Hmmm... :)
  13. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    btw, need a cylinder head/and/or cam from the XL? I haven't looked super close at it, but the glance I did take seemed to reveal only surface rust, although the bearings felt a stiff. Maybe I should hang on to it? 'Just in case'? LOL
  14. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Ouch! Topend's a total write off :cry

Not like it didn't give the operator some warning.
  15. bill pierce

bill pierce I don't wana pickle

Oddometer:
    The warning comes when the valve adjustment is tight a couple in a row, or more than it usually is.
  16. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, this thing either dropped a valve (ala the 2 piece valves like the old air cooled volkswagens back in the day) or the valve seat itself came out and bounced around. either way - ugly but fascinating devastation.:kboom
  17. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I examined the destroyed head closely - definitely dropped the head off a valve. The seats are still in the head. Wow. glad it wasn't me. Also, I finally have my XR600 at my new house parked next to the XL600! Pictures forthcoming!
  18. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plate the XR. I had two XRL600s and loved them both, but in this case I think you are way ahead going with the XR. Good luck.
  19. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ... Thanks, thats what I have decided to do. Now, according to my research, i need a XR650L upper triple clamp to use the stock XL ignition switch in a factory mount. Anyone have one? Trade for some 1985 XL600 parts maybe?
  20. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

You will need a stop for the steering lock at the front top of the head tube.

[​IMG]