2013 Dakar - On 4 wheels

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Aquatic, Oct 25, 2012.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    The headlight system is a stroke of genius... they just need to replace the decals each night... :rofl:rofl

[​IMG]

Story here: http://www.marathonrally.com/news/d...d_al_attiyah_with_qatar_red_bull.22071.0.html
  2. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Is it just me or does that thing look really ugly?
    It makes the Mini look good! Bummed about Robbie not racing,
    that Hummer was poetry in motion to watch...
  3. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I dunno...:scratch is ugly anything like "sorted and capable"...? :ear:wink:
  4. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Amongst much pomp and ceremony at the annual Baghdad Motorsports and Small Arms Expo, the newly formed middle east motor racing syndicate - "Surface 2 Air Racing" - unveiled their ambitious plans to field a late entry in the pinnacle T1 Auto category of the 2103 DAKAR Rally, to invited media, press and dignitaries late yesterday. :deal

In a press release issued from their downtown Baghdad workshop and race headquarters facility, the team's manager - Mr I Saiid Al Kayba - made this statement;

"Our team felt that it was time for Irak to step up and enter this most famous of desert rallies... for many years our drivers have tamed the wilds of our great land, and now we will seek to attain glory upon a new world stage. After the 2008 rally's unfortunate cancellation, we felt that the DAKAR lacked a little something - in terms of challenge - since moving to South America... and so, with the support of our sponsors Screaming Shiite Energy Drink and funding from the Gaza Goodwill and Sportsmanship Association, we hope to bring the "excitement" back to the DAKAR!" :D

[​IMG]

The vehicle - designated as the S2AR Intimidator T1 - is a rear engined/rear wheel drive spacefamed buggy, built to full FIA and NATO specifications. A couple of features that are immediately obvious are the fact that this is a three seater vehicle; equipped with two rather conspicuous 50mm "proximity beacons" (sentinel system).

In a startling move, the S2AR team have requested one of the absolute last starting numbers... not so much because of their "rookie" driver status, but as an integral part of their race and mechanical support strategy; :deal

"Yes, we have equipped the Intimidator T1 with a rather unique and patented overtaking signal/tyre deflation system for the dune stages...:evil In the spirit of goodwill and sportsmanship that we wish to foster in this years event, we plan to use our two 50mm "sentinals" to warn the competitors ahead of us of our intention to pass, and to assist them with rapid deflation of their tyres." :D - Mr Al Kayba stated in the press release.

The vehicle is to be crewed by three experienced Iraki desert racers; the Driver: Gheddis Faddi Oudda-Mepantz, navigator/co-driver: Hurri-Yahp Pwilya and mechanic/tyre changer: Al "Boom Boom" Jihad. :rofl

The crew is not at all fazed by the prospect of starting at the rear of the field... it is in fact an ingenious part of their race strategy... :deal

"Yes... we anticipate that course this year be will very tough, and attrition rate of competitors ahead quite high. To find spare parts, tyres and fuel in the desert... this something is that we very skilled at... No problem! :D With co-driver Hurri-Yahp me showing the direction and "Boom Boom" in third seat operating "senitnel" beacon, I think not we have many problems overtaking..." :evil said Faddi Oudda-Mepantz at the launch.

Other design features of the S2AR Intimidator T1 are the two racks on each side of the vehicle for storage of fuel jerry cans and spare tyres that "overtaken" competitors donate to the team as they pass.

Although the vehicle is a three seater vehicle, it still just scrapes in over the FIA minimum weight requirement, through a judicial non-use of such non essential items like bodywork, windscreen and doors etc. and is equipped with only a modest 100 liter fuel cell... Which mandates a fairly aggressive driving style each leg, in order to "pass" rival competitors before the first 100-150 kilometers of each day's special stage is completed... sometimes even on transport stages. :lol3

Team mechanic "Boom Boom" Jihad commented; "Yes... is true... Fuel range on Intimidator T1 is restricted. So is critical that Gheddis have finger out early in stage, and put me in range to use "sentinal"... always our experience in past; is someone willing to help us...:evil is famous "DAKAR spirt" of cameraderie... you know...?!" :wink:
  5. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Beauty is subjective I suppose. I like the "Baja" look it has....andvyes Troy it looks capable to me :nod
  6. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny bastard. :lol3

Maybe at the end of the Dakar we could issue a f5ook with all these story of yours Troy.
    'Tales from the special Biouvac'
  7. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    "Capable and sorted" means...?

Steering/radius arms at front that are the first point of impact in extreme terrain(foriegn object large rock/gully etc.) with no visible nerfbar/protection?

Decals for headlights :rofland a fiberglass flopper hood (no visible grille/light/support frame).*

Spare tyre that sits below the line of the cars axles/beneath the underbody sill (ie. first thing to hit the ground when it bottoms?)

Rear engine cradle that (what appears) to be only maybe 30 - 40 cm's off the ground (hinder departure angle in deep gullies/dunes?).

*For sure all of these things can be addressed, built, refined and as Sainz stated in the interview; "thees ees a project we start for the future..." but as Strong Bad wrote in his last post... these are all aspects - even if only seemingly minor details - that require prep, development and more prep and that requires time (just as carlos also says in the video; "is against us..." ) :shog

TODAY the european DAKAR participants are being scrutineered in Le Havre and sending their completed race cars and bikes on the ship for Lima... and the Qatar/Red Bull buggy has just presented itself in a preliminary test/shakedown video presentation...? :brow

This is another classic example of a Bordone/Ferrari or Alfie Cox/Volvo scenario... a lot of enthusiastic on lookers hoping for something that just isn't there (yet).

Groundwork is the cornerstone to DAKAR... X-Raid/MINI know it, Hallspeed/OverdriveToyota know it, KTM know it... VW, Mitsubishi, Citröen, HRC and YME/BYRD in the past knew it...

To develop a vehicle requires time (4 months is not enough) and shortcuts lead to an early finish/retirement.

You can quote this if you like... Arthduro can vouch for me. :wink:
  8. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Lol, your misunderstanding where I was coming from. As I stated they clearly said that this year was the first in an effort :nod

Sorted.....having two drivers that very capable, sponsors with cash (not like BF) and a car put together in 4 months...the team seems sorted :nod will they win or finish....No to the win and hopefully yes for the finish. Will they be back for 2014? Likely yes.

Did we see a promo vid? Yes

Will it look different on the starting line? Likely

Is it cool to see a north american crew building a high profile vehicle for Dakar? Yes

Am I an expert ? Nope

Do I think it looks badass? Yes

Do I think it looks capable? Yes I do....time will tell :thumb

Are you going to try to tell me I'm wrong? :rofl
  9. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :wave Acknowleged on all points...

Well, except maybe the "badass" one... I'm with brodovitch on that one... :wink: In fact it looks very similar to the various Schlesser buggy evolutions or the SMG's that Thierry Magnaldi (reported third driver in the Qatar/RedBull team line up) has driven in previous years.

As I heard one astute observer state one year at pre-event tech in Barcelona (of a Schlesser entry)...
    it looks like a missile... with a wet sock pulled over it... :jack

No... I believe we already established that... last year... :rofl:wink::smooch
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    A pattern is beginning...sadly :cry

I also thought the Volvo ala Alfie was going to podium....

[​IMG]

I thought Quinn would be a contender for 3rd spot on the podium....

[​IMG]

And if memory serves I bet ya that Rubby would be on top of the podium....

[​IMG]

Suppose my track record for predictions is less than stellar :rofl

This year I see someone other than Peterhansel on the top :wink: I also predict KTM do NOT take 1 & 2 on the podium :nod I also predict one of the "badass" buggies finish with a respectable placing :nod

:freaky
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Gotcha! :wink:

AUTOS:

And I... by comparison see Peterhansel (MINI) as odds on favourite, with De Villiers as the "biggest challenger" tip. (The Toyotas on paper perhaps the most potent vehicle all round perspective). The Mini team has the numbers, experience and troops on the ground with a military like routine, to take the win again... The Hilux's though fewer in number - sure look to be a good package, maybe Giniel with support from the other SA crew can take it to the four Monster MINI's?

My tip for the other podium spot would be either one of the other MINI's or possibly even Carlos Sousa in the Great Wall (if they have all the kinks worked out of the X-Raid package they bought from last year). He is a long time competitor with many years near the front (Mitsubishi and later VW) time... like Chaleco, 2013 could be "now or never"... though I have no idea on how "big" the Chinese team budget/effort is for this year?

Neither of the "badass" buggies will finish (troublefree) and given Sainz/Nassers track reckord, I can't see either of the "stars" limping home in 45th position during week two... in order to just get a "finish"... so if anyone is capable of that it will be the more machinery sypathetic Thierry Magnaldi... however I am not sure if it IS confirmed he will be running the third car? Perhaps his role has evolved into merely doing the development work?

My AUTO podium tip is MINI on top/fighting with a Hilux (Peterhansel vs.DeVilliers) and another MINI in third (Roma or Holowycz).

MOTOS:

I think KTM will once more stand highest on the podium... perhaps not 1 & 2... but they are my favour to win it. Most probable tip (for my money) is Despres to break the pattern and get two in a row... Coma's injury in Marocco was a big blow to the preparation... IF he is 100% fit by january, he has the routine to push for the win... but this is the only question.

Chaleco is on KTM this year... and even though not on the factory squad... with the material at his disposal and the memory of "what could have been" from the Aprilia years... 2013 could be "now or never" for the Chileán champion to be the first latin American name on top of the Podium.

I think this year we will see a motorcycle with the letter "H" take one of the other two steps of the winner dias... :wink:

The Speedbrain team have been gaining momentum ever since the BMW program evolved into the Husqvarna program... and now they have four or five solid top 20 calibre riders on the roster, and Barreda has recently shown improved experience and speed of the front runners. The Speedbrain team were the stand out performers at the recent Rallye Maroc.

The other big "H" team will certainly make presence felt this DAKAR. I think that Helder will put HRC up on the leader board amongst the top three positions early in week one, and make a solid bid for the crown. But something tells me (intuition) that something will go wrong (there are a million things that can) and HONDA will not be on the podium... but two bikes from them in top ten is not improbable.

My MOTO podium tip is two KTM's (one on top) with a Husky on one of the lower two steps.
  12. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Quote by Nasser...

“I’m under no illusion that coming to the Dakar with a completely new car is perhaps the toughest challenge I have ever faced at this race. The entire Qatar Red Bull Rally Team are going to have to carry on the hard work that has got us to this stage in these few weeks before the race and continue that effort during the actual Dakar. My ambition right now is just to reach the finish in this new car, if we make it that far then everyone involved can be proud of the job they have done.”
  13. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vASqn0S_Cxs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The cheese is strong with the Mini team :deal
  14. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
    That was unexpected and hilarious! I realize mideast conflict is a charged topic, but this was well done.

15. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b7Ld-UW2a2I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  16. michalCCR

michalCCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Peterhansel for sure is the main man for yet another victory. But I won't deny I'd rather see de Villiers on the top spot again. And keep an eye on Alvarez, top 5 is very plausible. Roma and Holek for Mini and one of Dutch Ford-powered Racing Lancers could finish high. Regarding Chinese effort there were recent news that from 2014 they are going to race their own vehicle, not the "X-Raid" package. Until then it's chance for Sousa to give them extra motivation with Top 5 finish. Qatar Red Bull project is too hasty to be successful right now. And about Thierry Magnaldi, they lost him on the way somewhere...

I prefer Coma to Despres so if one of Extra Terrestrials should win, let it be Spaniard. Or even better to spice it up I will root for Rodrigues. And of course to our Slovak rocket &#352;tefan Svitko. I'm quite dissapointed that no (semi)factory team took the chance to sign him so once again it's just him against the Top Guns. Husky on podium spot? Would that be surprising? No.
  17. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    And that alone makes it awfull :blargh

Hate your intuition and hope you're wrong.
  18. DruncleWill

DruncleWill CRASH TESTED

Oddometer:
    Not to be nitpicky, but "Chinese effort" seems a funny thing to call the former X-Raid cars preped by SMG :deal
    http://www.team-smg.fr/Cinq-autos-au-Dakar_a103.html
  19. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap That was the intel that I was working from also - thanks Druncle :thumb - fact is that the "Great Wall" Dakar efforts (since three years before) have always been achieved by putting their logo and colour scheme on other - existing - teams machinery and call them "Great Wall" something or others; they then run using logistics provided by that team. So it is hardly a "factory" effort... more like rent a racer. It will be interesting to see what they build/prepare of their own for 2014...? :ear

(Before the X-Raid BMW based vehicles were purchase, they ran with re-liveried Dessoude NISSAN).

It is a little reminiscent of the the JinCheng (also chinese team) in the moto category...which have used a number of different other manufacturer bikes (extensively modified with a decal kit of their own design :evil ) as a platform for their DAKAR racing plans.
  20. michalCCR

michalCCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's true what you've written. Only IIRC those first Great Walls were not Dessoude but Italian Tecnosport Nissan cars, but that doesn't make a change. I believe the Chinese are planning to take Dakar seriously, these first years are all about looking for the shortcut to the top. And as they can make a copy of anything and everything, soon we can see an all-Chinese Dakar racer with European heritage. With a bit of exaggeration Great Wall could be new Mitsubishi :wink: