Where do you hide your cash?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by InDenial, Nov 30, 2012.

1. chif

chif Bukowina, inima mea!

Oddometer:
    If you're talking Alaska, don't worry about this.
    My trip last year was amazing, almost 4 weeks on the road, 1500% safe. The people are the best ever, all over north, Alaska, Yukon, BC, NWTerritories. I'd move tomorrow up there :beer
  2. BigToad

BigToad The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer:
    My job takes me all over the world mostly into the backcountry and when I'm in a high risk area I go for the fake wallet with lots of $1 bills and expired cards and sometimes a good photocopy of DL in case I drive. I used a money belt once in the DRC and was seriously screwed by the fact all the bills got a very tiny tear from being folded and packed so tight...unfortunately this renders them useless for exchanging in many places, no money belt for me again.

Now where to hide your cash for AK? Well unless your bringing the wife why bother? Your ass is more likely to get eaten by a grizz than robbed....

( please no thread on what gun for a bear!)
  3. achtung3

achtung3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am on the Central Coast CA and rode for 21 days to Seward via Dawson, $300 cash and card when possible, kept in my pants pocket and wearing a one piece suit, not a problem, when need money there are atm's all over Canada and of course AK, so I do not think you have to worry, if I to carry cash I would still keep most in my pants pocket and $100 or less in the pocket of my suit.

I felt pretty safe on my ride, camping and moteling, I was alone too.

Enjoy the ride.
  4. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    For Canada and Alaska anywhere you normally carry your money is fine.

I think enough cash to get home in a ziplock taped inside the airbox is a good idea though, just in case you lose your wallet.
  5. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I'm not really worried about getting robbed. I'm more worried that I'll lose my wallet because I'm... uh... er... I'm... what am I again? Oh, yeah, I'm forgetful.

I tend to stash enough cash that if I'm at the farthest point on my trip, I can still return home and have money for fuel and food and a hotel for a night or two, if necessary. Plus some of that cash if for tips - waitresses, hotel maids, strippers. You know: the usual.
  6. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Find a place on the bike that is not easily accessible and put it there. Riding to Alaska you should have ZERO concern about losing your $$ to anything other than Gas and lodging which are both very high. Grizzlies really could care less how rich you are, they just like tasty humans. Though come to think ft it, they do like rich food. Salmon.
  7. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    If I told you ... I would have to kill you ...:evil

All kidding aside. I always have $300 or so on me. On a longer ride I will stash a spare key and $100 somewhere on the bike as emergency get home cash (more if I'm father then 1000 miles from home).
  8. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    when I've traveled in Thailand and Peru, I put some cash in ziplock bags, and put it under the insoles inside my boots. If I'm more local, I just use my wallet, but I sometimes split it up, keeping some in a jacket pocket, some on the bike, etc.
  9. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    This.

Well, not the "kill you" part... the $300 part.

$300 will get me home from just about anywhere in the lower 48.
  10. roadtrip22

roadtrip22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I keep 50 in my boot. it stays nice and warm. but would hate to be the person having to recieve it if I ever needed to spend it. The then I keep 100 right next to my holster. I figure if there going after one I'll give them the other for free :gun1
  11. CaptTeach

CaptTeach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WAAAYYYYY Back when I raced BMX and actually had to train, I kept a few dollars in the cross bar pad on the handlebars. Just enough to get a gatorade or two. kinda doubt you are running a cross bar pad though.
  12. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stash in several locations. 2 spare keys too.

Rod
  13. Fast103

Fast103 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok so now the bad guys know where you stash your cash! Good going!
  14. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Shhh... don't tell the new guy that 200,000 people are monitoring this site.
  15. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my solo 3 wk trip to Mex/Baja last year, I bagged about 1500 pesos into two baggies. I then removed each small tank body panel on my R1200GSA, and taped it underneath and re-installed. Only came in handy once, as I was able to manage mostly using ATM's. If I remember correctly, I had small stash with ID copies underneath the tool tray too.

I totally agree with most others too - inside US/Canada - I wouldn't have a worry and would not stash or hide $$.
  16. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    What's that???

About a dollar thirty eight ($1.38) :rofl :rofl
  17. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, if you give me 1500 MX pesos, I'll be glad to give you $1.38 USD...:deal. Hell, I'll round it up to $5.00!
  18. panhead rick

panhead rick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WTF hasent any one here seen the first few minutes of easyrider
  19. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I've never seen "Easy Rider."
  20. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:

They didn't have the shitty gas full of ethanol that we are forced to use today.

Today's gas probably would have melted the cash stash in Easy Rider.