Even when you do it all wrong...

Discussion in 'Trials' started by motojunky, Jun 16, 2013.

1. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trials is all about traction and body position. Until you have mastered clutch control for grip I would keep using the slow throttle.
  2. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    :nod

IMO I hae never seen anyone even needing to get on the main jet until they have moved past intermediate.

Probabaly more new riders have been turned off to trials by whiskey throttling a bike and then trying to sit down, which causes even more throttle--with the ensuing :2cry
  3. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For all the crap you stirred up over a little video clip be sure and let that camera in your truck when you come ride at my place. I sure don't want to give up all my crashing secrets:rofl
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just for grins, check my son`s gasser for which throttle he runs. Black. He`s learning fast, but you first must learn.
  5. thegraydog

thegraydog 2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer:
    I watched a few times to see what was bothering you about your form. I suppose a wheel touch, a little lift, no skid plate is nice, but hey -- you were practicing what a skidplate recovery feels like!

I can now assert that anyone who misinterprets Sting32's, um, effusive commentary should make the effort to ride with the dude. He's great fun.
  6. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    :thumb

And a good rider! :deal
  7. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    I'm sure Sting is good people. We've had some PM conversations and I get that he means well. He just delivers it in a way that I don't always get. :D I don't think either of us are taking it that seriously and I think we'd get along great in person. :beer

I wasn't complaining about my form or looking for advice. I was simply pointing out that even when you don't get it right, you can still get away with it. I sometimes dab too quickly, before giving myself a chance to get lucky. I've been getting better about patience and wanted to pass that on.

As far as advice on my form - there is so much good advice out there already that I can't seem to apply correctly on a regular basis... :lol3
  8. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have careful read of your Schrieber book, and pay particular attention to the double blip technique used on logs and other similar obstacles.

If you dont have one already fit a fast action throttle, and give riding that log another go. You will find it an awful lot easier, and will soon gain the confidence to ride much bigger obstacles.

The most important thing of all is to get your basic techniques right, and the Shrieber book will help a great deal with getting those right.
  9. Choicecut

Choicecut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is the book. You should be able to buy it for 20-30 bucks. There was a large amount of them `found` last year and were being sold to fund the TDN team.
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. BEEF706

BEEF706 King of the dumb dab

Oddometer:
    Funny you should mention that... I was playing in my backyard today after replacing a fork seal, and I think I put my ties too close together, and this is exactly what happened. If it hadn't been for A-TeamNM and NMTrailBoss telling me to always have one finger on the clutch lever, i might have been trying to climb my back fence :jack
  13. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:

:deal
  14. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Motojunky - I thought your log hopping video was awesome. I'm probably where you were 3 years ago in terms of learning curve and don't have any illusions of becoming an expert trials rider just in it for the fun and trying something new.

Have had a crack at getting over a small log and believe me your attempt was waaaay more graceful than mine :lol3.

Keep the videos coming :clap