Tiger Tales - Dialling in the 800XC for the dirt

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Burren Rider, Jul 6, 2011.

1. forkt

forkt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Impact driver was the key. New 15t is on, and as others have said, what a difference. It feels like im always in the powerband now and lifting the front is much easier. :D
  2. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    +1
  3. Riot

Riot Tiger Rider

Oddometer:
  4. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
  5. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure is. That's more reliable.

This is from the TriumphRAT forums: [​IMG]

(Please GOD let this be the image, my firewall at work won't let me see it and if it's wrong I'll look like an even bigger dork...)

-T
  6. Oshiat

Oshiat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Emailed Leo Vince about a USFS approved spark arrestor for a Leo Vince Big EVOII slip-on for my 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC. Their reply:

Hey Perry,

Sorry for the delay. I found the spark arrestor for the Tiger 800 pipe. This is a sound insert with a spark arrestor screen in it. We have them in stock. It would be $52 to your door. If you would like to get one on order, just give me a call. Have a great day!

Part # 307587801R

Just thought I'd share.
  7. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Yes, an extra charge on top of the exhaust. They should include it.

I got one, put it on the bike and it would not fit with the Happy Trails pannier racks. Eanie meanie miney moe....racks trumped. I was f'ing pissed. Sent the can back.
  8. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi there, i do not own a tiger yet but i do plan on buying one very very VERY soon. Biggest thing is i love dirt but i do a lot more freeway, so with this mod... does it affect vibrations of the engine being at higher rpms? and from stock gearing how is it off road?

thanks!
  9. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i'm looking into getting an xc soon but freeway is my concern... why did you change the gearing on it... was the bike not pulling enough on stock? how are the top speeds before and after the mod?
  10. Chinookmark

Chinookmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bike pulls just fine, but first gear feels a little tall. It takes just a little more slippage to get going than ideal. And it's also bothersome at low speed crawling, like when you have to pick your way through rocks. 15T just makes it feel more "right".

Don't misinterpret this as the bike not having enough power. I've left stoplights in third gear without too much drama, after forgetting to downshift.

On the highway, it's a few more revs, but no more vibes. The bike is smooth all the way up to redline. You'll get more vibes from your tires, depending on which ones you pick.
  11. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    For "trial" riding I think the the Tiger is geared too high with stock gearing. And by trail I mean very rough stuff or single track. If you are just talking gravel or two track forest road it does just fine.

The bike pulls at 80mph fully loaded with luggage and the missus with no problem. So powerwise, lower gearing would not be a problem. As for the vibrations, its hard to say with all the wind you get at 80. I do plan to drop the front a tooth when its time for a new chain. I dont think I'll do the rear sprocket however.

You have to make decisions and compromises. A bike set up for trail riding is just not going to be a good road bike and vice versa. Thats just the way it is.
  12. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    that's perfect because i will be pull a miss (not missus yet :D), and luggage. so you're saying it pulls no problem with stock or 15T in the front?

Oh i know you weren't sayigng the bike lacks power! just gearing is very important for the perfect amount of pull. Now is switching the front sprocket easy on the tiger or is it a pain?
  13. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Go back a page and start at post #1476 for some helpful hints.:deal
  14. TxLoneRider

TxLoneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take this for what it is worth, but, wouldn't it be cool to have a low and high range gear on the output of the transmission. :lol3

It could be a manual dog on a slide that selects to final drive ratios. One that is higher for street, and a lower one for crawling. And if you are in the lower one, reduce power output. :D

Either way, I can't see me going a tooth lower on the counter shaft, that would instantly add ~6.3% to the bikes mileage, and reduce the accuracy of the trip computer. :deal

But that's just me.
  15. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Just a quick FYI: on ABS models, the feed to the speedo, odo, etc., is taken from the rear wheel ABS sensor ring, not the countershaft. Changing final drive ratios on the ABS models has no effect on the speedo/odo.
  16. TxLoneRider

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I am surprised that with all the regulatory crap for compliance AND testing (V&V) it would be worth duplicating the effort for speed and distance measurement to save the price of a sensor on the countershaft.

Further, it would, if even so slightly, increase the complexity of a safety system.

I am not saying I don't believe it, I am just falling back on years of embedded engineering, with some medical device expertise, with a little bit of knowledge on what countries (well and states, namely California) make automakers do to be able to sell vehicles in their regions.

Further, then to remove that sensor from the engine, you would then have 2 different versions of that engine to manage. So throwing in my experience as manufacturing, that is a lot of expense for a $0.50 cent part. Just say'n.
  17. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    TLR, your over thinking what Triumph did with the speed sensor. They only made non-ABS in the first run 2011 & some 2012. They just used the 675 speed sensor & left it out on the ABS model. Now they only make ABS T8s so all of them have the same speed sensor.
    I can verify that dropping a tooth on the front sprocket does not affect the speedo/odo. I tested it out with my GPS.
  18. TxLoneRider

Oddometer:
    Hey, I get paid decently to over think dam it! :norton

So, for the '12s, if there is only a single configuration (ABS), then I can see doing that. But for the previous year where this is a mix, hmmm, depends on what all needs to be done for each configuration. The regulatory component might have been the same either way.

Still sadly, I would actually like a tooth higher on the HWY :-)

And darn it, I like the idea of the final drive selector.
  19. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:

it pulls fine with stock gearing on the highway. I believe that it will pull just fine with a tooth dropped as well. Just maybe at 75 instead of 80.
  20. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, CTRN Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sucks. My spark arrestor was included with my LV pipe...

JG