Lobsters to Llamas, Maritimes to Argentina

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Kedgi, Oct 7, 2012.

1. HDen

HDen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in !
    I went to NB many times, on my way to Summerside PEI.
    Your winter pictures reminds me great snowmobile rides also in NB!
    Have a safe trip!
    HDen
  2. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    This is only day 3, you're early, stayed tuned and welcome aboard.:lol3
  3. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    They are still looking for snow mobiles that got lost when I took those pictures, hehe:rofl
  4. HDen

HDen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lolll We were close to Charlo with the snowmobiles: I said to my girlfriend: Campbelton / Pointe-a-la-Croix is not very far!
    Be careful, this is a great adventure you're in !!
    HDen
  5. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

Quebec is where NBer's go to buy beer. A 24 case in NB is $42.00:eek1

There oughtta be a law!
  6. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice report, but a bummer about the bike.

If you keep moving fast you will probably pass me by. In Southern Mexico and moving slow. Enjoy the trip. Be a lot better when you get to these southern borders.
  7. West Isles

West Isles Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoy you're adventure! Thanks for takeing us all along...
  8. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting up your ride report. Glad you got through that tough rainy part. Good luck and wishing you a safe journey.

Funny about the beer prices, same cost in Ontario, and when I get to Buffalo, NY the same case of 24 costs $16.there..
  9. mrleblan

mrleblan n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Dwight this is bike 3 from your Key West trip. In my dirt bike years when dealing with lots of water like river crossing and heavy rain we used to spray the electronics with WD40. It repels water very well. I envy your adventure and wish I could be riding along.
  10. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

We`ll have to get together for a tequila or two as I get down there!

Welcome aboard

db
  11. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi Marc

That`s a good idea. I have a water/electrics problems I need to adress Glad you're following along

Kedgi
  12. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm grateful for readers, It make writing all this down really worthwhile

Welcome along on the ride!!

Kedgi
  13. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I got up early this morning , determined to make up for the crappy day yesterday by making to my friends, Karen and Roland's place in Hagerstown MD, drink some beers with them, and chill out.

I blasted out of Fishkill, NY early, in clear blue skies. The GPS at first seemed to understand that I want to stay off of Interstates, It led me south along the Hudson and I thought this is great, I mean there is so much history on the banks of the Hudson River...cool! Along the river there was thick fog, Nice! Then the GPS, which could have plunked me on the I-*$ right at the Hotel decides it will wait until it takes me on a loop encompassing 5 or 6 miles of and out of the way loop and a taste of river valley before it says take I-84. Without a plan, I follow,

Not much traffic on the I-84 early Saturday morning and all goes well. I ride into a headwind, I have a big truck follow me at a distance and just pace me at about 60 mph. He stays back about 1000 feet. When that happens I figure the driver is a biker who's thinking what's taht moron doing on the I-84 on a loaded down KLR 650 and he has decided to "protect" you by following you. All goes well until as I descend into one of the many valleys and it gets pretty cold, I crank the heated grip up to 3 and the bike dies! FUCK. That's the problem, the grips, no wonder, I installed them myself!

Turns out, I was out of gas. I mean co-incidence or what. Funny how you get to know a bike after riding it a LOT but as I was coasting down the hill on the shoulder and watched my Big Truck "protector" blast by I remembered the last time I filled up, the attendant pumped the gas and never really "filled" it the way I do and I had bought regular, with the idea the bike is going to have to get used to regular on this trip. That's it! I'm out of gas, never even stopped, flicked over to reserve, instant power....YAY! It's not the grips after all, Hahaha. Bought gas strategically at the first gas station in PA. It's cheaper there. I even remembered to throw the reserve lever back into the main tank position for "next time"
  14. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    While I was drying out at the hotel In NY last night part of my mission was to find a way across Pennsylvania, staying off the Interstates. Later, as I was coasting on the I-84 I saw a sign that said "No Commercial Traffic on 209 south of Milford". That's when it dawned on me, THAT'S how I got though PA this Spring northbound out of Florida....PA Rte 209. I took it. It's not fast, It's not pretty particularly, but it provides an excellent look at life in PA. I like it. Some spots are very pretty and others are pretty gritty. It takes you right down the main street of countless coal mining towns that have seen their prime pass. It is sad but I wonder what those towns must have been like in the days those houses and homes were being built. Mnay families lived good lives out of those mines, and those towns continue to be home for so many. There is a lot of history there and I find it an interesting ride.

I got caught in Jim Thorpe PA in a traffic jam for an hour. WOW. Who knew a town the size of Jim Thorpe could design an hour long traffic jam. When I saw the electronic sign, Expect Delays, Saturday and Sunday I didn't know they meant Saturday "AND" Sunday. I waited at least and hour before i did a u turn and threw myself on the mercy of my sadistic GPS which eventually lead me back to Rte 209, which proves to me that choices across PA are very limited, thanks to the wonderful Poconos

I passed through Pottsville PA and stayed on the rte 209 to it's conclusion at the merge with Rte 11 and 15. Those last ten miles or so on brand new twisty pavement were awesome, you descend down this long wide valley and I have no idea what it's name is but dressed in peak fall colours today it was outstanding! Simply awesome. Sorry for no pictures, I was on a mission to get to Hagerstown before dark and there was no shoulder to speak of on the steep hill.

I followed the north shore of the Susquehanna River on a route nuber I've forgotten. No traffic, nice scenery, super smooth pavement, BLASTIN' More fun than human beings should be allowed to have!

More to follow....
  15. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I called my buddy Roland, from Potsville to give him a progress report and an ETA for his place in Hagerstown. Probably the problem, should have "knocked wood" somewhere.

I rode steady all day long the ride from Fiskill NY to Hagerstown, MD is a long one, if you refuse to use the Interstates. Anyway as I approached State College, Pa, which sadly has been in the news so much lately for terrible reasons, I figured I had it made. I was going to make it just by dark. Yay! I was ready for a few beers with my friends.

It had been surprisingly cool all afternoon 52 to 54 according to the bank clocks I had passed. I'm not complaining, No Sniveling here, but I would have thought this far south it would have been warmer in October. I saw a few Amish Carriages on the road. Pretty cool! I tried to get a picture with my Go-Pro but I think the battery is dead. I take 2 hours movies with it, I don't know I'm taking sometimes so that it won't be ready to take and impromptu shot of a Amish Buggy.

Man, after about ten hours in the saddle in the cool in clothes still damp from yesterdays' deluge I could see a front about to pass and spied some virga, then wet pavement and then the bike statrted to sputter, cough, fart and almost die. Fuck. So close and yet so far> I was 3 miles from State College, I stuggled to keep the bike running. I aske dthe GPS for the nearest motel, It responded by leading me down the nearest dead end...BASTARD. I found the hotel from clues I am learning to take from my GPS.....No room at the Inn....FULL. I told the lady at the desk about my bike problem and asked if she knew of a place nearby. She did, gave me directions, I found the place, on a bike stumbling in the wet and that's it not even really rain, just wet pavement. The bike died in the motel parking lot. I started it again after a few minutes and that's it.I got the last room at that Inn, LUCKY.... I'm in State College hoping for dryer times tomorrow.

Karen and Roland are searching out a Kawasaki dealership for me in Hagerstown

I mean how many times do you break down after an awesome ride, find a hotel, co existant with a beer store, who knows a good pizza shop nearby....I'm living the life... It's all good!

Day 4 was a good one....Tomorrow is another day.....stay tuned!

Time for another "Yard's Brawler"....Good beer!...Good night!

Kedgi
  16. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Now get that kaw running right!
  17. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey I learned....when i broke down tonight I did it at a hotel with a beer store and connections to a good pizza shop

I'll get it fixed when I get down to my friends place in MD. They are already trying to search out a kawasaki dealer that will help.

I figure it has to be something simple like the plug wire or cap or coil, there is just not that much that can be suspect.

The bike worked awesome today. What a ride. Twisty, secondary roads are wonderful on a KLR.
  18. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    If you find yourself in the neck of my wood (Eastern NC) and need a place to stay, you are welcome to stay over. I am deaf but you can reach me by leaving a message at my videophone or text/email me and I will get both messages at my Blackberry. Text/Email is much quicker because I can get it anywhere I am at while I would need to be at home to open my "SignMail" on my videophone. PM me if you think you might be going my way and could use a place to stay then I can give you my contact info or just leave a message on PM and I will read it on my Blackberry (via email).

If you like sub, I will treat you to this good Pizza and Sub joint..

Access to WiFi and within good driving distance to Kawasaki dealers (20 to 1 and 40 to other one) and John Stanford might be able to help with any potential mechanic problem. He is certificated Kawasaki/Yamaha/Honda mechanic and do motorcycle works in his shop, and find his price to be very reasonable! He taught me how to change front/rear tire, sprocket and chain, and front sprocket all for measly $20 using his shop and his tools. His parents run a country store near my campground so good to help local community.

Anyway, do keep me in mind and I am also monitoring your thread to gather info on Central/South America because I plan on going down there within 2-3 years from now. :ear
  19. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

Thanks That's a kind offer. I don't think I'll be that far East again on this trip, but I have always wanted to visit Kitty Hawk and Moorehead City. I'll get out that way one day. I've been to Myrtle Beach in the past. You're living in a beautiful area.

Thanks for following along. I'm hoping I can find out what's up with the bike tomorrow. I had a good sleep last night. I recommend this Nittany Budget Hotel to anyone traveling near State College, PA. Affordable, clean, warm, free coffee and breakfast, not bad at all! If your bike is going to break down, this is the way to do it.

When I get the bike sorted I'm thinking I'll ride the Blue Ridge Parkway and then maybe go see Graceland (Not Sure about that) but I would like to see Floribama. It's a famous, maybe infamous bar on the beach on the Florida/ Alabama line. (Not sure about that either) It all depends on weather and getting the bike fixed. I may decide to take a track that's much more direct toward Texas. I see there is the potential for some pretty severe weather popping up West of here.
  20. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keeping an eye on your report, Kedgi. If we get close, maybe we'll meet. I may still be in the Florida area when you are in Texas. Did the Skyline and Blueridge on my way down and it was beautiful. Cold even a few weeks back. But beautiful. Thing is you are never too far from getting down off it if it's freezing. Skyline starts at Front Royal, straight west of DC.
    Safe ride.
    Toad:D