Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    2.43 into a headwind 3/4 of the way. That last 1/4 of the ride was fun! Haulin ass and not tryin real hard to do it.

:ricky

M
  2. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    I've got a drive train of athena from the late 90's. I wanted sti type shifters .I liked the hard crisp click of Campy. I've sense returned to Shimano DA stuff. The Campy stuff I've got works great,never a problem. I've got a riding bud he likes his stuff He's got late 90's Record & Choris (or how ever it's spelled). The Bearing groups of Campy are great.
  3. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    That's sort of like asking "Ford or Chevy or Ram?" ...depends on who you ask.

I personally have run nothing but Campy (on my road bikes) for the last 15 years. I love the positive feel and the ability to trim the front derailleur (not possible on the last Shimano group I rode).
  4. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    I can trim my FD on my 4 yr old Dura Ace, wonder if they got rid of that recently?
  5. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    :nod

New new D/A 'doesn't need it' so they eliminated that click

M
  6. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, they now do not need to be trimmed. The front der will not rub no matter what gear you are in the back.
  7. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    where do you think I was looking at that wicked deal? :evil
    They say they've got SRAM rival groupsets though, so I might go with that.
  8. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    The search for a wagon wheeled GIANT bulletin board has finally ended.:lol3 They went over the top with the logos, but this CL deal was worth checking out. Its a 2010 XTC 1 29er listed for a grand. I talked the seller down to $750. That's a $700+ Fox fork.:deal
    [​IMG]
    I felt I should break her in right by crashing her in a most spectacular manner.:evil
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    See that bloody knee? Took a hell of a digger after forgetting to undo the lockout on the fork during a descent.:baldy This newfangled suspension tech has me a bit confuzzled. The legs and hands were bloody.
    [​IMG]
    Kris cleaned this log without a second thought. He's an AMA pro level roadracer who also happens to be a natural on anything with two wheels. This 17 year old kid makes the hard stuff look easy. I wish I had half his talent.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For Gaston Gagne. This one is actually three logs connected together. Its looong.:eek1
  9. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    I think actually the other way around - DA in the past was the only group where you had trim (which now has also been eliminated). At one point in 1999 I actually ended up with an Ultegra kit on a cylocross bike, and it definitely did NOT have trim. Especially after switching to smaller chainrings, it would always rub. I ended up just ditching the cable and running a single ring on a chain guide up front.

:lol3
  10. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got five or six year old Ultegra and I can trim the front.
  11. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    Well yes, I do have to trim it to stop the chuffing noise.

On a completely different topic, I just sold a bunch of bikes and rollers, etc to get one of these -

[​IMG]

But it's been years since I've done MTN biking. I really want a bear trap type pedal that also has an inert clipless SPD or Crank Brothers type etc easy contact. But I also like to have the bear trap when things get slow and technical, and I've tried the eggbeater's in tight mud single track and hated them.

So what do you MTN rider's think of these-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AT33CW/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Shimano PD M324

They look like they would be fun for urban casual commuting too.
  12. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    But it's been years since I've done MTN biking. I really want a bear trap type pedal that also has an inert clipless SPD or Crank Brothers type etc easy contact. But I also like to have the bear trap when things get slow and technical, and I've tried the eggbeater's in tight mud single track and hated them.

So what do you MTN rider's think of these-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AT33CW/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Shimano PD M324

They look like they would be fun for urban casual commuting too.[/QUOTE]

I like em I've got on two bikes,both are road bikes.we've got a lot stoplights on hills I've had problems clicking in to road pedals. these can be pedaled w/o clicking in, or other than bike shoes. be sure to set them loose at first to get used to them. Also don't be tempted to buy the cheaper brands stick with Shimano.
  13. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Hey CDP: HTFU only wussies and beginners ride them flip-floppy things. REAL men ride SPDs and don't whinge about it on the innerwebs.

There. Feel at home now? :D

Seriously. Them half and half pedals are all OK. You can get something like this if you'd rather just get 'regular' SPDs. That way, yer not stuck getting new pedals when you've been off-roading enough to not need the flats any more. Yer LBS prolly has a few pairs layin around from when they useta come on every bike sold with SPDs so you may not even hafta pay for em.

M
  14. Oznerol

Oznerol Motion Enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a change -- I remember you saying a while back that MTB held little appeal for you. You should bring that thing up to Westchester.

Personally I ride eggbeaters everywhere, on and off road. I've ridden wide platforms in dirt, and I honestly do feel a bit more stable on them when bombing down a rough downhill. But I hate them everywhere else, especially when climbing, so I stick with the eggs.
  15. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    Yeah, this winter got the MTN bike jonze back in me, last time I rode MTN was about 4 yrs ago on the old Klein, and the eggbeaters were awful in the wet muddy single track so I'm looking for the old trusty bear traps when dropping down a tight path of slippery mud and rock.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always be a roadie....:D

PS - I'm x country skiing in northern VT this wknd, will update on the Xcountry ski thread.
  16. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    Okay choooperman......:lol3

That's why I'm looking at em.. (the SPDs).

PS - I've had those clip on platforms, they weighed more than the bike (solid blocks of alum) and were impossible to get off once you clicked them on.....:lol3
  17. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm actually able to stay locked in, track stand on the road with my clipless Look Keos, so it's not a worried about falling thing so much.

I grew up MTN biking with toe clips, and we used to just keep our foot a bit out or sometimes underneath when we were on a sketchy edge or downhill, slippery rocks etc. Later when we used clipless, there used to be old Shimanos that had a good toothy edge and the locking mechanism in the middle, but they don't seem to make them anymore (except Ritchey looks like they still do).

When I tried the eggs beaters a few times I realized i really like to balance on a large flatter platform, and they were too slippery when wet.

So I think I'll give them a try.
  18. bikeboy1

bikeboy1 2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer:
    I have a set of Time ATAC on the cross bike which I like a little better then the SPDs. I grew up on the SPDs so I really dont know any better. This might be the reason I like the speedplays so much as they are double entry.
  19. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
    I've had Time Atac's on the Mtn Bikes for years now, and they are a good pedal. Double sided entry, and work well in muddy conditions. Even if you can't clip in right away there is enough platform to keep moving.
  20. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    Which model ATACs are you guys using?