New DeLorme inReach - Looks like a sweet competitor for SPOT Connect

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Slappy McGee, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cap'n Ron,

Interesting player to the game. I poked around on their site and noticed it will work with iOS. For those that are interested Ceberus has free app's and a downloadable user guide on their site to look at.

App here - http://cerberus.briartek.com/cerbertouch

User Manual - http://cerberus.briartek.com/support

To get back on topic...

I had been thinking about getting a SPOT (or a Sat Phone and PLB) when I came across the inReach. Given some of the issues folks have had with SPOT I'm leaning more towards the inReach at this time.

If I had not already bought a Garmin Montana and supporting hardware and maps for it I'd be very tempted to return the Montana to REI and bring home the inReach and a Delorme Earthmate PN60w since that would give me the GPS and SPOT functions along with two-way txt msg's if I was out of cell service range.

Nothings perfect but it's good to know I'm not locked into a SPOT the way I thought I was.

Jon...
  2. Get_Bent

Get_Bent Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report. You're right, the map sure is different than what SPOT does. It will be interesting to see how it progresses over time.

Jon...
  4. Get_Bent

Get_Bent Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran the firmware update for the InReach as well as the Update for the Earthmate app.

As of right now the inReach only works in standalone mode. I've been unable to pair the phone and the device.
  5. OneEffinName

OneEffinName Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I had the same problem - pairing. I tried with two different HTC phones - which is a known problem. Then I tried with Galaxy tab. The tab ended up working. Then I went on a field test and the pairing screwed up. It was a total PIA. Which is too bad, because its a good concept.

I ended up returning the InReach, because of the pairing issue and track plans in Canada are way to expensive. I ended up with Spot II and a PLB.

I'd am interested to hear how yours makes out.
  6. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    I've enjoyed and used the SPOT, SPOT2 and SPOT communicator. They have always tracked well and my check in messages always went through. I'm a happy spot customer who rides solo in very isolated areas, I do trust my SPOT completely to function as they have for years and lots of use.
    With that said, having two way communication seems like it could be very useful when things go bad and the only reason I'm considering switching.

When sending messages or tracking, does the Inreach need to be orientated a certain way like a SPOT?
  7. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    When sending messages or tracking, does the Inreach need to be orientated a certain way like a SPOT?:deal

Please?
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    The inReach's antenna should have a clear view of the sky according to Delorme. That being said, I have had mine perpendicular to the sky and messages went just as fast: ~ 3-10sec. Heck, I even managed to send a message while in my home office. So, my answer is, the inReach's position is not nearly as critical as the SPOT - mainly because the inReach has a better antenna.

Cheers,
  9. sumwon

sumwon I was told there would be snacks

Oddometer:
    Hurry, you can grab one for $150 at Amazon tonight!
  10. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    That's a little better than I got from REI. I paid $249 with a $75 rebate and free shipping. Should be here tomorrow. If that $150 also qualifies for the $75 rebate, that's a smokin' deal.
  11. Mtn Man

Mtn Man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grab them guys, these are really nice units that work well. I used mine on the TAT this year and it worked perfectly, tracking and messages home.

Always use the good batteries that Delorme suggest, it does matter FWIW.

Nice way to track your trip, let your pals enjoy the trip and have a good record of good places you want to visit again sometime.

:happay:happay:happay:happay:happay:
  12. telcoman

telcoman n00b

Oddometer:
    I just got a spot 2. I am only into it for $99 once my annual sub expires so I may change to Delorme next year, depending. Maybe depending on how many text messages i send. Right now on the road I intend to send 2 "I am OK" messages per day. Besides off road stuff, I also drive an RV into southern Mexico each year. One of my concerns is being hijacked. I stuffed the spot under the dash and it still got tracked, even though I have a Truck Camper with a cab-over. I would hand it over anyway, but its comforting to know i could tell the authorities where it is. If I switch I will give the spot to my aging parents who refuse to have anything to do with a cell phone.
  13. modernbeat

modernbeat Jason McDaniel

Oddometer:
    Anyone modified a RAM mount to work with the Auxiliary Power Adapter? Looks like it might not be possible because the battery cover might be taller.

Another 12v power alternative might be something like this chap on Expedition Portal is doing for his Spot.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ger-or-Connect-Hardwire-to-12V-Battery-Source

Also, I'm seeing a lot of comments on Canadian pricing being much higher than the US pricing. Has it changed recently? When I pull up the pricing it looks like except for the low-end plan, the Canadian pricing plans are the same price, and/or more flexible on the plans I'd expect I, and most other real users, would use. The Canadian "Suspend" feature adds a lot of flexibility while using the "Expedition" plan during long trips. At first blush I think the Canadian plan will be cheaper for the way/frequency/length of my travels. I'll put it in a spreadsheet to make sure.

Here's the data I'm looking at.

Canada http://www.inreachcanada.com/service-plans/
    USA http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php

Canadian Pricing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

US Plan Pricing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    Might be clear to everyone else but not me. With ``prerecorded`` messages, are they the limited number of texts with the different plans or are the texts ones you make when using a paired device. Also for those of you who are using one of these, at 25 or 10 cents a track is that every 10 minutes or from when you turn it on until you turn it off.
    Just cancelled my spot and am getting ready for my next move.
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    B.C.Biker, I assume you have had your questions answered by now. I just returned from a 21,000km ride using the inReach and it did it's job quite well. I do like the alternate Tracking modes (10min, 30min, 1hr, etc.) but I don't like the need to use my iPhone each time I start Tracking to use any mode other than 10min. So, I'll be picking up one of the new SE's when they ship this month. It looks like the power consumption is being better managed (or bigger battery).

[​IMG]

Cheers,
  16. 1Bonehead

1Bonehead Fearless of Falling

Oddometer:
    I am looking at the delormne package for my sons trip across the USA this summer. Thoughts? Or Montana and spot? Or Montana and inreach with android connection
  17. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I'm a big fan of the inReach tech over the SPOT because of the two-way communications and overall system reliability. As for GPS, I think the Garmin Montana is the best all around unit available today for on/off-road Moto use.

Cheers,
  18. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    If an inmate was handy with electronics he could use that iridium transceiver chip with a blue tooth chip so it would pair up with your cell phone and convert the cell phone into a sat phone.From what I hear the iridium sat network is the best for performance anywhere.The peak current draw on that thing was 1a though-mostly .2a when transmitting.
  19. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Nope, not enough throughput in that data module for voice. Iridium offers a different module for voice, which is way bigger and way more power.
  20. sintax

sintax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I moved from the Delorme PN60w to the Montana. Its heads and shoulders better GPS, for anything in a car or on a bike. From a backpacking standpoint the PN60 is small, lighter and more well suited.

I did like having the Spot integration with the Delorme, but i am not all that bummed about losing it.

The Montana is great!