Garmin Zumo 550 issues

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by marcing, Mar 8, 2012.

1. marcing

marcing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,
    Any of you have Zumo 550 ?
    In my Zumo I have the problem because the screen is moving slow (not all the time but in 90% cases) which causing me missing the junction ect which is not nice. I've heard 50/50 feedbacks from couple of my friends using the same device...

Do you experience any of that issues ?
    I have City navigator Europe NT maps
  2. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen it on my friends freshly purchased Zumo 550.
    He sent it back. Another one did same. He got money back and bought another make.
    There are hundreds of reasons why this may happen, only attempt to get it serviced will tell if it is really problem or just design of Garmin so-called "motorcycle navigators" legalized robbery ( I had chances to compare a lot of PNAs and Garmin really gave me most problems and worst performance).
  3. joef

joef Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine would turn on then run slow and turn off. Garmin had me send it back all expense paid and returned a new one to me because the unit was faulty and was still under warranty.
  4. garfield

garfield Garfield

Oddometer:
    my zumo has been on my 990a since new(2008) but very rarely turned on. now I'm going on a gps guided tour but something isn't right. unit turns on only to tell me my map needs an update, should it not work with old maps? any way it will only respond to the to the power button. ok button is also a no. garmins support is closed weekends. any ideas? if I send it back what is the turn around and is it worth fixing? thanks for any help!:ear
  5. silvergoose

silvergoose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suggest going the the Garmin zumo forum. They maybe able to sugggest a cure.

Good Luck
  6. Pete O Static

Pete O Static Adventure Seeker

Oddometer:
    I don't have mine anymore but when it gave me trouble, I just did a master reset and that usually cleared up any issues. You won't lose any data either.

Press and hold the power button and the top side button at the same time. This should reboot the unit. Just like any computer, this often resolves the issue.
  7. oomis

oomis What's a noob?

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. I was able to do a reset that I wasn't awsre of, press the bottom left of the screen and power off and it worked. Phew!

Now to get on with the riding
  8. ChristianRider

ChristianRider SwampFox

Oddometer:
    I've had lots of Garmin's, Hope this helps :-D

To get into debug mode on the Garmin Zumo 550:
    (should also work on StreetPilot c series and Nuvi's)

Zumo off:
    Press and release the power button (lower right) to turn the unit on.
    As soon as an image appears on screen - press the button (with a speaker icon) on the lower left and hold it for 20 seconds.
    The diagnostics info page will appear automatically.
    Zumo on:
    Navigate to the home screen (showing Where To / Show Maps).
    Press the upper rightmost area of the screen (where the clock is) and hold for 15 seconds.
    The diagnostics screen will appear automatically.
  9. 2Lucky

2Lucky n00b

Oddometer:
    My Zumo 550 charger on the motorbike is broken.
    There is a little PCB in the charger and from that a flat-band cable which goes to the contacts where you push the Zumo in.
    Some of the wires in the flat-band cable are broken.
    Was already repaired once - now gone again ...

Any idea how to charge the Zumo over the USB interface - if i put a plug in there it always goes into PC-connection mode (so it is not possible to navigate) - any ideas to that?
    (I have a USB charger for the bike - and the Garmin USB connection cable as well).

Any hints how to get a new Zumo motorbike charger in Peru?

Cheers,
    Uli