The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just as a suggestion. Otter box does make a product with an opening end lid.
    It's not the same volume as what you have there, but access would be easier
    and would also give a little room cushion. Could bolt to your bracket so
    strap flopping would be a non issue as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes they make it in black. For well known reasons I went with yellow.:wink::D
  2. crazyjeeper

crazyjeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'5" and I run a cal-sci x-large on a touratech adjustable bracket with the screen all of the way up and back, and the accessory wind deflectors and it works great. No buffeting at all at any speed. Now it is of course a barn door but the touratech bracket is pretty solid and it really doesn't shake much at all. I also have a madstad bracket but I can't say I'm a fan. It was impossible to get it to stay in place with the giant screen and it also holds the screen out from the bike considerably more than the touratech. This is my config.

[​IMG]
  3. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    Nobody has mentioned an MRA screen yet. Matched with a Waspworks adjuster the possibilities are endless. The flip on the MRA disrupts the blast and flips most of it over your head.

The adjuster allows the screen to be lowered for off road or hot weather.

I am nothing like your height (5' 10") but I also have a long torso, that of a man of about 6' - 6' 2".

[​IMG]
  4. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are to brackets what Jaumev is to stickers.
  5. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    I think its time to get an adjustment bracket for the windshield. I hate the stock setup.

Anyone have a used one of any make? Where is the Waspworks one listed, I don't see it on their site?
  6. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    Last I heard, Wasp wasn't making his brackets anymore. Madstadt makes one, though.
  7. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  8. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    +1
  9. sleepyOwl

sleepyOwl Long timer

Oddometer:
    United Kingdom of HIS Majesty's Tax Collectors
    I've got my eye on this beauty.

[​IMG]

I love the looks of this machine but then I like the fuglystrada. All of my riding is tarmac with the Fugly. 90% two up. I am worried after studying forums etc that this may be underpowered for long distance two up riding. I know I (we) need a test ride to work this out and I know it isnt going to be like the Multi. However in some circumstances the Multi is too quick as my better half gets caught out when I'm overtaking as she cant see past my helmet.

Any two up riders gone from the Multi to the Ten and have opinions on the power?

Oh..and will I look a complete knob riding a Worldcrosser on the road?? :hmmmmm

Much appreciated
  10. William42

William42 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you need a test ride. That is what convinced me to trade in the FJR on the XT. About half of the riding on the XT is two up. The XT does not have the power the FJR has but it has more than enough for us.
  11. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I gave up my FJR after owning the Tenere for 6 months. I'm pretty sure the FJR would give
    your Multi a nice rear view.:wink: I can't say I dont' miss the thrust rocket once in a while.
    I just was more comfortable and I liked the plusher ride (more travel) of the Tenere.

The Tenere can still get out of it's own way doubled up. Just not with the authority
    of some other bikes. I have not found a semi it can't get around with still giving a
    good grin.

Why are you considering the switch? Is it something deeper than just want to try something
    differrent?
  12. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's definitely not underpowered for any use, including two-up. Some would even consider the torquier, less-peaky power delivery better for two-up. But.... the Multi is a basically an upright sportbike and as such it has that hard-hitting power that is ever-present and effortless - the S10 doesn't. With 90 or so RWHP, it's got enough, but it never feels like a powerful sportbike.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

- Mark
  13. sleepyOwl

sleepyOwl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Although I have had little trouble with the Duc in two years ownership, we are now going to be touring further afield into Europe and the reliability just keeps picking away at the back of my head. Shaft drive is another reason also.
    I went to the Duc from a CBR1000RR and also had a Tiger 1050. Age caught up and now I find myself searching for a smoother power delivery. The Tex1200 would sound a great otion but I just dont like the way it looks. The sleepy owl on the engine just seems to be mocking me! :huh

[​IMG]
  14. Flydream

Flydream King of the Atlantic

Oddometer:
    Any two up riders gone from the Multi to the Ten and have opinions on the power?

Much appreciated[/QUOTE]

I came from a HONDA cbr1000rr 2008. May be I'm getting old, but to tell you the truth, I'm not missing the power, and my wife also love this bike :evil
  15. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

I was lurking, in this discussion, and just couldn't get past this ^^^.

I feel compelled to ask, "What forum/forums did that come from?" I can tell you, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that whomever threw that out there doesn't know their ass from their elbow. In it's sweet-spot, the ST pulls like a friggin' freight train.

If I was leaving tomorrow (single or two-up), for a 10000+ mile journey, the ST would be my bike of choice...HANDS DOWN.

16. Specterx

Specterx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    love it! gonna get one. thanks!
  17. sleepyOwl

sleepyOwl Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is great to know thanks. Its the long journeys I'm interested in and am I quite willing to give up the sportsbike characteristics of the Multi.

I started my search with google and started to notice that the word underpowered was showing up in a few forums. As you say, more than likely people who have never ridden the bike. This progressed to typing in "underpowered Tenere 1200" into google against my better judgement. The interweb is an evil place at times:deal

I realise that it can only come down to my decision and a test ride is definately going to be on the cards. Its mainly the "having it there when needed" feeling of power delivery I was concerned about.
    Thanks for all opinions so far
  18. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

I think we're talking "relativity", here.

Yes, on paper, the ST (and Stelvio) are "underpowered", when compared to some of the other bikes. However, for real-world usage, I can honestly say that I haven't run-up against anything that I felt the available power, on the ST, couldn't get me out of.

If you peruse some of the forums, and see some of the pics, some of these dudes don't leave anything behind, when they travel. In fact, I think I've caught a glimpse of a couple of kitchen sinks strapped to the back. So, as far as I can tell, the ST is the motorcycle equivalent of a pack mule: strong, heavy, and stone-cold reliable...

19. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    When that's in the higher positions it looks like it would let a lot of air in from the bottom....is that a problem?

20. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bah! you are a jealous guy :*sip*

:lol3