Guitar thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by rajflyboy, Jan 31, 2010.

1. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    Wow, even the volute didn't save that one. Cool project with your son. Is he a Phil X fan?
  2. The_Commander

The_Commander The Man. Supporter

Oddometer:
    PHIL X!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LwYcasy15vs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Yeah he has Phil book marked but he thinks he's on 3 pots of coffee:lol3

I usually find him using Marty...

http://www.youtube.com/user/martyzsongs

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AgZnwdho9-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DW
  4. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    LOL. Phil is a bit much sometimes. But he comes up with some great stuff too, and on incredible guitars!

I asked if your son was a Phil X fan because he has that computer fan grill laid out on his project. Phil has one of those mounted on a couple of his guitars. Obscure, I know. :D
  5. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Phil is fun, and if you watch some of his other videos and interviews is seems very laid back....I think it is just a switch he turns on and off as he wants.

I like marty as well I even bought a set of his DVD's. Have him check out on youtube the channel gregsguitars. Those are fun to watch.

If he likes rock-a-billy have him checkout Damian Bacci's channel....bought his DVD as well.
  6. Asphalt Assault

Asphalt Assault Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know nothing-zero-nadda-zip about guitars but have had an itch to learn for some time now. My girlfriend is musically inclined and pushing me to go out and try it. It sounds like purchasing from a dealer and trying to get a "package" deal is a better way to start things compared to just buying any guitar and having to do a bunch of stuff to it later. I'm going to start looking around and asking local dealers for advice, etc. I'm primarily interested in learning the acoustic guitar and learning on my own to start things off. My local community college also offers classes that I may give a try.

If anyone is in the Southern California area and knows any good shops or has beginner advice I'll certainly take it!

And since this is a motorcycle website, have any of you weekend warriors taken your guitars out on your motorcycle adventures? (If so, Pictures Please!).

7. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want to learn on your own check out www.justinguitar.com A VERY good site.

I would suggest that if possible you take someone that knows how to play with your for your first buy. Other than that don't spend a ton on your first guitar...your tastes will change as you learn.
  8. The_Commander

Oddometer:

Buy a mid-line guitar. It's very tempting to go "budget" to see if you're going to like playing, but many people end up buying junk guitars and giving up. With a little better guitar you'll get better fit, finish and playability. Beyond that a better guitar is easier to recoup your investment from if you decide that it's not for you.

Look for something in the $300-$500 range with a solid top, back and sides. Taylor, Martin, Takamine, Yamaha and Washburn make good acoustic guitars.

This is a G chord:
    [​IMG]

This is a C chord
    [​IMG]

This is a D chord

[​IMG]

Put those together and you'll be able to play an untold number of songs by every popular artist. No Roy Clark needed.
  9. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am still pretty new, but have 4 guitars now....they are all fun and all sound a little different. I agree with the price range suggested, but also have someone that knows go with you if you can, they can help you. When I bought my first guitar about three years ago, and then put it down. About a year ago I wanted to try again, and took my first guitar to a shop....the action was SO HIGH it was impossible to play...I did not know any better, you read about setting up guitars, watch videos, but nothing is better then having someone you trust show you the ropes.

The cord that is killing me is F. I can get it every time, every note sounds great, but it takes so long for my fingers to lay it down....practice practice, and practice what you can't do not what you can. Once it is easy you got it.
  10. The_Commander

Oddometer:
    Who needs an F chord?
  11. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    How you gonna play 'Let It Be' without one?

:D
  12. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    Transpose it to a different key :evil

jdg
  13. The_Commander

Oddometer:
    The same way I play "Blackbird."

I don't.
  14. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    "Hey Marty, how about that dreaded F chord :lol3

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jAPokIyRfxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DW
  15. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Check out the Seagull S6 Original....great sounding....solid top....hand made in Canada. I got mine with a case for $399.

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Seagull-S6-Original.html

Now, if I could just figure out how to play the darn thing. :shog

I have been slowly working my way thru the Justin Guitar beginner lessons.
  16. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    Definitely check out the guitars and make sure they feel like you will be comfortable playing them. My niece just started at a performing arts college last fall and she got a very nice Takamine acoustic for $129.00. It plays fine and sounds good.

Also consider a nylon string guitar. They can be much easier to play and will sound good too. My favorite acoustic is a nylon string classical that I play rock and blues and jazz on.

The video posted above is a great place to start and youtube is a gold mine for guitar players. Just search for beginner guitar lessons.

The initial hump takes some time to get over before you feel like you can actually play something. Keep at it. It can be very, very rewarding.
  17. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thinking about getting a new little amp to play on the porch. My small amp is current a Roland 30x and while small it is a little heavy for me.

All of the amps I have now are Solid State amps....and I like them just fine...I have the 30x and a Line 6 spider 4 75w.

I am thinking about trying one of those beginner 5w tube amps. I also want a "look" to the amp. I am thinking about the baby Vox 5w amp and the Bulgera v5. I have read mix reviews of the bulgera but it does have a built in reverb that would be nice. There is also the VHT but I don't quite like the way it looks....I want something vintage looking...I know stupid but hay it is what I want.

Does anyone here have any of these amps? Guitar sites are pretty one sided to things that they think are cheap...and I want to stay around the $200 range.
  18. The_Commander

Oddometer:
    They're a little more money, but the Marshall Class 5 amps get a lot of rave reviews. And, they look/sound very vintage.

[​IMG]
  19. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    Played on one of these a few weeks ago and for a lil bugger, it had good tone...Might want to add it to your list. Buddy picked it up for $140 off craigslist

[​IMG]

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lBU7YYS0yHE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DW
  20. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup the little Fender is on my list as well...also the little Gretsch (I am told they are the same amp) I am starting my shopping.

Never had a tube amp before....anything I should know about the care and feeding of an amp with tubes?