Yamaha xt350/400 hybrid!!

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by MILLENNIUM FALCON, Feb 21, 2012.

1. MILLENNIUM FALCON

MILLENNIUM FALCON Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! I hope it all comes together in the end. This bike is the motorcycle version of a quilt; A bunch of different pieces assembled to make one. Maybe that is what I should call this bike. lol.....the Yamaha Quilt400. :) I got the suspension on tonight. I wont be putting the rear wheel on till I get a wider rim (2.15) sourced/laced. I slapped the tank and seat on her to take a few pictures for ya.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Ron Bullard

Ron Bullard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks excellent! Can't wait to see the finished product!!
  3. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    That looks awesome!:clap

I'm going to do something similar when I finish all the other projects, so in like another decade:lol3

where are you in pa? Im in the burgh
  4. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    I live about 20 minutes from where they have the little league world series. Its near williamsport. I assume you are talking about Pittsburgh?

5. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    yep
  6. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks great so far! The paint looks good, I like the way the lines are on it.:clap
  7. PhiSig1071

PhiSig1071 Friendly Neighborhood Privateer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed, looking forward to the finished product.
  8. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    I got the motor bolted in the frame today. I just wanted to say thanks to my dad for coming over to give me a hand today. I went in pretty smoothly. A little pipe insulation and masking tape goes a long way for paint protection during installation. My fiberglass wrap came today. SO i figured I better get my pipes painted so I can wrap them tomorrow. I would like to install the exhaust while the engine cases are off, because it will give me much more room to slip them behind the frame. All the paint I have been using on the engine and exhaust it VHT flame proof ceramic 2000 degree paint. I also ordered my new rear rim today. I'm switching to a 2.15 the 1.85 was way to narrow for the tire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Man that is looking hawt:deal
  10. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! I got my Pipes wrapped and installed today. My gaskets also showed up in the mail today. I can't believe it. They shipped from japan on Tuesday. That was crazy fast. Now I can install my engine cases.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you thought about how your going to solve the problem of chain slack?
  12. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    I'm going to make a swing arm guard, but with only 8" of rear travel I don need a ton of slack. I can always add a roller if I need to.
  13. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    I made some more progress today. Nothing major, but I feel good about it...lots of little stuff. I got my engine covers on. I reinstalled the starter and all accessories I could. I had to pull my exhaust because I forgot to install the crush gasket. (duh)! I made new plug wires. Stripped and painted my foot pegs and installed the kick starter. I also ordered jets. I cleaned up my rear hub and spokes. The nipples were rusted on the inside. I snapped two spokes tearing the wheel down. I think that is all. The little stuff takes so much time. I snapped a picture with the rear tire mocked up...just for fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the counter sprocket that far away from the swing arm pivot you might find that you need a suprising amount of chain slack and it might also cause bad squating.
    I have the same problem on my project so I'm going to try idler sprockets to control the chain tension ond squat.

If you have a look at the thread "lots of assembly required" there is a photo of one of his bikes that has a idler sprockets set up near the swing arm pivot.

I cant wait to see the finished bike.
  15. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    You asked for stripes....so you will get stripes! ;D I kinda had to much fun with the striping tape but I like how it came out. Be gentle it was my first time working with striping tape. I also installed the front and rear master cylinders, bars and I started with the controls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Kevan Garrett

Kevan Garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool project. Really enjoying watching the progress. Just curious. Looks like it will be tight spacing for the carbs/air box with those pipes running inside the frame. What's the plan to address that?

Keep up the cool build and pics.

Kevan (subscribed!!!)
  17. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    Yeah it is super tight, but I had it all hooked up and running before I tore it apart for paint. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Motomechanic

Motomechanic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The color looks sweet. Also can't wait to see the finished bike, you've been making great progress with the build..
  19. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work -- that's going to be too nice to ride on the dirt though :D

It's kinda like a modern version of the Honda SL350. Were the Honda SL175 and SL350 the only twin-cylinder enduros made (not counting the many scrambler models like the Honda CL's, which were really just street bikes with a high pipe)?
  20. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Yeah I just kinda realized that i'm going to be sad to get this thing dirty. I originally built this bike because I sold my dual sport. Now i'm kinda bummed. I guess I have to sell it and buy a husky.