Talk to me about 1.28 gal toilets.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by mud, Jan 31, 2013.

1. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    SO, Are the new 1.28 gallon toilets worth a shit?
  2. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    get a good plunger
  3. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    That's what I am wondering....
  4. Mudflaps

Mudflaps Northward

Oddometer:
    I've got a 1960's Universal Rundle toilet in the basement. Not sure how many gallons but it's the greatest toilet ever.

BTW I was pretty pissed when I found out "Mud" was already taken here when I joined. Had to to settle with the crappy "Mudflaps" instead. :1drink
  5. Damifino

Damifino Damn if I know Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm quite good at clogging them apparently, I spend a lot of time in hotels, all the newer ones have them, yes, it is quite embarrassing calling the front desk with a big log stuck in the turlet...
  6. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    My gf did that once, tried to blame me, its quite easy laughing about it when you know you didn't go.
  7. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installed one of these

[​IMG]

in 2007 and it has never clogged. I've flushed old leftovers down it and it never complains. The plunger, which saw regular use with the $99 Ace Hardware cheapie that came with the house, now lives in the shed, completely unused. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat and recommend it to anyone who asks.
  8. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    ...and flush as you go.
  9. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    I put an american standard 1.28 gal flush toilet in our house 3 months ago. . . . the old (1960s) toilet didn't flush that well, and I'm interested in saving water. I was prepared to spend a few hundred bucks and buy a nice dual flush model, but I looked at the flush efficiency and prices, and decided I'd probably save more water with a 1.28 gallon model, and it promised to flush anything. I think I paid around $120 bucks, the box included a wax ring and new supply hose, and it's worked perfectly every flush. Oh, and big unexpected bonus: cleaning the toilet got a lot less frequent and a lot easier; a lot of newer toilets have super slick glazes on the inside so that crud doesn't stick/mildew doesn't grow.

I think people who resist new high efficiency toilets must have gotten burned on the first wave of 1.6 gallon toilets. . . things have come a long way since then. I used to only recommend Toto, since they were heads and shoulders above other toilets. Nowadays, it's pretty easy to find a low flow toilet that actually works, costs less than $200, and goes in in an hour.
  10. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one I posted above is Australian. It's a dual flush, .8/1.28 (3L/4.8L). The first month I put it in, our water usage dropped by 500 gallons. That's with two people. If you have a houseful of folks, the savings could be substantial.
  11. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Interesting, what is it?

When I was looking at dual flush toilets, seemed like most of them were still 1/1.6 gallon, or something close to that. I don't feel any need to flush every time I pee anyway.
  12. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple years ago I replaces a 1960's vintage with an American Standard 1.6G/flush model.

Its one from Lowes that claims to flush a bucket of golf balls. I haven't tried to flush golf balls:huh, but this is very impressive, I've never clogged it. YMMV

the newer designs work alot different, I think most of the flush water is aimed at the drain, so it sucks the waste down.

Being on a well and septic by myself I'm not that concerned about the water usage, I wanted a toilet that works.

It is much easier to clean too.
  13. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a Caroma Sydney Smart 305 Round Front Plus. It's a washdown design, rather than a siphon jet, so it keeps the bowl fairly clean.

http://www.caromausa.com/products/index/cu_products71.php
  14. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:
    are not bad as long as there's enough water running from other sources to keep the drain line washed out. If a toilet is on its own branch drain and has a long run of 3-4" pipe 'til it gets to an intersection, the lack of volume might not sweep things down the drain. Toilet with a shower close by? No problem.
  15. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    I installed an American Standard Champion 4 a few years ago in our bathroom that sees the most #2 action. The online reviews of this toilet I've read on terrylove.com are not good, but I love it . It's only clogged 2 or 3 times in 4 years, instead of every time like the circa 1995 Mansfield low flow it replaced. I have had to replace the gasket at the flapper valve, but other than that it's been fine.
  16. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can even get an anti-vandal kit with it.

Is it sold through the big three? Lowe's Home Depot, and Menards?
  17. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    I searched the "Where to buy?" tab on their website. For me it is a place not far away called "The Fixture Gallery." I'll be visiting soon.
  18. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The anti-vandal kit is for commercial use.

I haven't looked, but it's doubtful. I couldn't get any local plumbing vendors to return my calls, so I contacted an outfit in Moscow, Idaho and had one shipped. I paid truck freight from Los Angeles, so shipping was $120 on top of the $300+ the toilet cost. Had I bought three units, shipping would have been the same, though. I'd still do it again--it's that good. I forgot all about what it cost after a week of not having to plunge anything.
  19. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked for that tab before asking the question. :lol3

Closest dealer to me is 80 km away. Nice looking toilet though.
  20. Wasser

Wasser Spilt my beer

Oddometer:
    Good luck finding one with a large enough diameter to fit the elongated throat in the new commode!!!!!

We just got a couple of Kohler 1.28's.

One of them plugged and, the standard, 6" everyday plunger that has been in existence for the last 60+ years won't cover the oblong/elongated throat in the bowl to plunge it!!! :huh

Could not find a large diameter plunger anywhere. Had to fabricate an adapter out of an old tupperware to be able to cover the elongated hole in the stupid thing.

Other than that, it works OK.