Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, maybe I thought that was the way it was working before. Could be I wasn't paying much attention and didn't realize that the fields were changing for both dashboards, I must have thought it was working like my 478 did. Only had it on 4.20 for a couple days.
  2. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    So then the 24hr Min and 24hr Max data fields must take their data from the current.gpx track log? Or currently active track? Just trying to determine how the Montana decides what the 24hr Min and 24hr Max temps are....
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Speculating of course but I would expect since a Master Reset has no effect on the 24hr Min/Max read out on the Montana that the "log" is kept in the tempē and only read, not stored, to the data field via the ANT data pulse. The Montana does not derive these readings.

P.S. I just received confirmation that the above statement is correct and the only way to [currently] reset Min/Max is by pulling the tempē battery.

Cheers,
  4. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was my original suspicion, however, the tempe has no internal clock that I am aware of, so I am unsure how it would store 24hr Min/Max data.

But, this would explain why other users had to remove the battery from the tempe to reset the Min/Max values.

I do not yet have a tempe to test with, thus this series of questions.
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    See above P.S. update.

Don't know why the tempē couldn't have a clock that get's set by the paired host device which would of course have a clock. A simple clock chip is quite small these days.
    And actually with a little testing after a MR it appears as though the Max/Min is the "current" 24hr period being kept by the Montana. So, no clock is necessary on the tempē. The temperature range spec's on the tempē is -4℉ to 140℉ and I can attest to that range. My SubZero freezer took it to it's lower limit and I was reading the temp drop THRU THE DOOR!!!

Cheers,
  6. funrider

funrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So here's my problem. When I download maps from Mapinstaller (Topo Canada and City Navigator NT) I can't switch between the two. So depending which map I loaded last, thats the map I get. So if I go into recreational mode to go hiking for example I can't access my Topos. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but would appreciate any advise and direction. Thanks.
  7. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Go to Setup -> Maps -> Map Information, within there you can enable or disable maps for each profile.
  8. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which version of MapInstaller?
  9. funrider

funrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not Sure, Just received this unit a couple weeks ago. Will take a look for a version and by the way the maps are enabled but they are not separated by that I mean The Topo and City Navigator are on the same line.
  10. woodsatyr

woodsatyr Kitty Boy

Oddometer:

That's exactly how it works. I've been wrestling with this very thing too. I like the nuvi dashboard while navigating but I think the zoom in and out buttons are smaller than 'normal" and I don't like that they're on the right side of the screen. When riding the bike and trying to zoom in or out, I can never hit the buttons and then I get a pin for a waypoint. Drives me nuts. So I was trying to set up small dashboard fields to display the info the nuvi dashboard does and have the zoom buttons on the left side of the screen. No go for the reasons you stated above.
  11. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:

No I did not do a master reset. Haven't had much time to check out, with honey does and all! :wink:
  12. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    My method to avoid the small zoom buttons on the nuvi Dashboard is to make a quick swipe on the map to get it into pan-mode which puts the zoom buttons on the left side and they are slightly larger. Once you've zoom in/out you just press the return button and the map will keep your zoom level as long as you have Auto Zoom=OFF.

Cheers,
  13. funrider

funrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup did that. But what I do notice when I enable Map, is that the Topo and City Nav.NA are on the same line. As though one map? ya I'm confused.
  14. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    That's a stumper for me; all my maps loaded using MapUploader are on separate lines, and each is individually selectable.
  15. funrider

funrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ya a little frustrating, for the mean time I've downloaded both Maps on separate Micro discs till I figure this one out. but a bit of a pain.:(:
  16. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Thanks again to the Montana Team for the latest update. All of my outstanding issues with Adventures have been addressed. I just transferred six Adventures to the Montana and everything was perfect. This is definitely the future for "sharing".

Cheers,
  17. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    If you connect your Montana to your computer (PC or Mac?) look at the /Garmin or µSD Card/Garmin folder and tell us what you see for IMG map files.

If there is only one file I would recommend that you delete it and reinstall your maps using the latest Garmin MapInstall application.

Oops, you've already made changes. Now that you have your maps loaded on different µSD Cards, do you have any issues with seeing the map on the Montana. Or, Enabling/Disabling it?

If not, copy one of the maps to the other µSD Card just using your file explorer or Finder and see how that works.

Cheers,
  18. DrtSqtr

DrtSqtr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok updated to v4.60 and installed cn2013 still same result. only thing that changed was the POI came up but still missing 75% street names. is this normal?
  19. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    When you say 75% of the street names - could you give us a few screenshots of these map displays? In the mean time, I would call Garmin Prod Support. Your unit has "issues". Especially if street names are being rendered upside-down.

Cheers,
  20. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect you did not Deselect the map segments from one map before selecting new map segments for the next map, and thus they were sent together as a single map.