rnickymouse failure Mulholland fest

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by wiseblood, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Dcc46

Dcc46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not Mulholland but this has to suck

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dtXFThyr764" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  2. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    Man I wonder what the back story to that clip is. Shooting a commercial? Showing off while a friend filmed? The camera person was in exactly the correct position, correct angle, correct lighting, correct zoom and focus....wasn't a coincidence. Also love to how bad the sailboat and rider were damaged.
  3. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am just wondering, what is everybody's opinion on this.

It is generally accepted that cars can outcorner bikes right? Like on a racetrack where you have full use of the lane.

But what about on a public road, standard width lane? Do you think bikes especially sportbikes can take corners at higher speeds than cars, IF they both have to stay fully within their lane?

I see a lot of cars not just here, but also deals gap, and other places that cannot seem to take a corner at a decent speed, while maintaining proper lane position, and a lot of these are sport cars too, Miata's, Camaro's, 350Z's etc...

I think a bike can go faster in general since he can move around within his lane.
  4. helion42

helion42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I would think that a lot of drivers cut over the line a bit because they're afraid of the intensity of pushing the limit in the set curve :lol3
  5. stefan tilden

stefan tilden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too many people in the wrong lane OMG WTF people.... :eek1
  6. slickwill

slickwill Exhiled

Oddometer:
    I still think 4 wheels > 2 wheels when it comes to lateral grip. You just see cars out of their lane more because the penalty isn't as high for screwing up un a cage.
  7. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see your point and do agree that cages have more lateral grip, and the penalty is not as high.

I am basically saying since the average cage is 6' wide and the average bike 2', the bike has 8' to play with in a 10' wide lane where as the cage has 4' and the bike can therefore use that space to straighten the corners a little, which is what the cage wants to do, but can't without coming out of his lane, so he has to stay pretty much on a fixed track.

So with that in mind I am saying the bike can carry more speed into and thru the corner. My opinion of course!
  8. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

Good point.

Doubt it was set up as a stunt though...

Sailboat is fine; the bike hit the dock.

Wonder how the bike fared?

Back in the oughts I lived on my sailboat for 4 years in Cali and Vangroovey, and parked above my boat.

I did get my bike down onto the dock, but I used the ramp... :lol3
  9. TinyTrains

TinyTrains Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems to be shot at least semi-pro. Fluid head tripod, and good camera. I don't know what they were trying to do, but I bet that was not it.
  10. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look very closely at the bike- 2013 FJR. What I've read is it's a french moto journo, having a very, very bad day.
  11. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did something similar on my KLR once..

[​IMG]

..hit a rock that looked like a bush on the side of the trail. Tore the fully loaded saddle bag off and I nearly rode off the other side of the trail down the embankment and into the trees. :eek1
  12. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:
    Yup.

"Le journaliste préféré des fans de Moto Journal a chuté dans le Port de Saint Martin pendant un tournage au guidon d'un FJR. Il s'en sort avec seulement un pouce luxé et quelques hématomes."

It says he hurt his thumb, and got a few bruises.

His ego probably suffered the most. :norton
  13. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Well, that'll teach ya to pull the bags off before trying to ride on the docks...
  14. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    I read a 'shootout' in a moto journal years ago putting a then current sportbike up against, IIRC, a Corvette. The bike won the braking, acceleration (OK, physicists out there - it won just acceleration) but the 'vette had the corners.

I find it tough to believe that today's street legal automobiles would prevail over the hottest street legal bikes, though.
  15. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I remember the one (although I'm sure there have been several) FZR1000 against Corvette. I recall the details differently however. Bike out-accelerated, out-slalomed and possibly out-braked the car in a straight line. Car had a slight edge in continuous circling (G-force cornering) and theoretically had a higher top speed, although I think they indicated it would take the 'vette more than five miles to catch the bike if they took off together on a straight road. The thing I recall most however, was that, at the end of a weekend of testing, the car had gone through two sets of tires and brakes, the clutch was shot and it was sounding generally rough. The bike, however, was fine.

When you start talking about track vehicles, cars can pull higher G's in corners, which makes up for their wider track on most courses. Top Gear have done a couple of bike v's car shoot-outs with mixed results but usually favoring the car. Here's one:
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_UDXcotDqDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  16. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Yes, I intuited that which is why I specified street legal bikes vs street legal cars. We can also add that an $11k sportbike will outperform or match a quarter a million dollar Ferrari 599 in all or most categories aside from weather protection.

The sportbike will not demand a $5k service every 10.000 km either.
  17. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:

"I'm not going to ride the bike because I'm a heterosexual" :rofl :rofl

"and i don't like wearing rubber trousers..."

:clap

Classic Top Gear.
  18. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike can take a better line for sure in the corners in the lane on the bike you can late apex and start opening the radius up and standing it up to drive down the next straight away. It also some corners that are slightly decreasing radius for a car might end up being constant radius for you. Not to mention if you've got a bit of road with a bunch of left right kinks you can end up just keeping the bike more or less straight through them just switching which side of your lane on your compared to the car moving the car around allot.

I think the car would have a faster corner speed most of the time though, by that I mean in the slowest part of the corner the car would be going faster then the bike at it's slowest part of the corner, just the ability for the bike to use it's acceleration could make it faster.

The other thing you need to think about when comparing bikes to race cars is aero grip. F1 cars can easily do 4 to 5 g's under braking and in the corners at speed. Bikes don't get any more grip as they go faster.

For comparison Ferrari set an unoffical lap record at Laguna Seca of 1:05.7, motogp bikes where lapping around 1:21.

The tires make a huge difference too most car tires are going to be hard pressed to do more than about .95g and all seasons aren't going to do more than .85 or so some of the really stick summer tires and obviously race tires will start pushing it over 1g. Bikes basically always have race tires on them when compared to normal car tires.
  19. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Their latest S100RR v's top-of-the-line Aerial Atom race is not available on YouTube but had the car beating the bike by less than a second. The Atom also beat every other car ever raced on the Top Gear test track by more than a second, making the S100RR the second fastest street legal vehicle ever to lap the Top Gear track - faster than a $1,300,000+ Bugatti Veyron (or any other production car except an Atom)
  20. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Article about it
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/N...0rr-second-fastest-ever-round-top-gear-track/