Sachs MadAss 125cc

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Nurburgringer, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Maximum404

Maximum404 Zoomer

Oddometer:
    Well, I am curious if there are any 2009/10 owners here who would like to speak up for this bike and give their riding impressions. I am about to order one, either a 2010 or 2011, not sure yet, and am searching the internet for as much information as possible. I have been talking to Moto-Scoot and they have been a huge help. I'll probably have them custom build a mildly modified 125 for me and ship it. Anywho, any information ya'll have, especially pertaining to metro riding and carrying a passenger would be greatly appreciated. Pics of your madass are welcome too :-).
  2. Bugtussle

Bugtussle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im interested in hearing too. The Madass owners have been pretty quiet for quite awhile. How are they working out long term? What is the cruising and top speed of the 125cc ?
  3. thefieldworker

thefieldworker Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was checking out Madass Army and there seems to be a lot of griping about not being able to get parts for these. But also, the owner of Peirspeed himself seems to go there and is trying to fix this.
  5. C8Chris

C8Chris Motard!

Oddometer:
    I picked up a yellow 2010 Sachs 125 Madass last summer. It's been a pretty good purchase.

The first funny thing was trying to get the bike insured. Progressive and Dairyland had never heard of it, so they wouldn't write me a policy. I went through State Farm, which usually isn't a great deal for bikes and got insured for like $1.50 per month.

I put a battery tender lead on it and that was about it.

It gets around 85 mpg. Top speed is about 62 mph according to the speedometer. I wouldn't want that thing running my iron lung though. That was downhill with a tail wind.

Technically, you can ride it on the Interstate (I used to ride a Suzuki TS100 on the Interstate -- talk about excitement!). WIth the Madass- that's not a great idea unless it's stop and go traffic. More than sufficent for running around town, compared to my Honda Super Cub and Fly Scout.

Like most scooters of this size, you need to plan for your hills. It doesn't have a helmet lock, but it does have a steering head lock.

It's been a flat out reliable, tinker proof scoot. People are always asking about the Madass because the design is so different.

What I'm thinking about doing however, is liquidating all three of these scoots and looking at a Burgman 400. I think I'm more of a motorcycle guy than a scooter guy. The Burgman 400 kind of splits the difference.

Attached Files:

6. Keys

Keys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had mine for about a month now...just shy of 600 miles and I love it! Only problem I've had is I rode through one of our Arizona monsoons and now the electric start doesn't work. The relay clicks, but no juice gets to the starter motor. Oh well...I figure it's just a disconnected or corroded wire. I have a kick start that works fine.As for the rest, it handles well (it's a hoot on twisty roads) and since I opened up the airbox and drilled out the exhaust, it has enough power to keep me entertained. Comfort is fine...of course, since I'm busy enjoying the ride, I probably don't pay much attention to the comfort level. The best part about this bike is it is such an open canvas! There are so many performance parts if that's what you want to do. As for me, the power is just fine, but the rest is open to play with. I've done some custom painting on it and adjusted this and that, cut the handlebars down a couple inches...and, well...you get the idea...it's just plain fun to play with!!! I've been riding for 40-odd years and have owned over 60 bikes and somewhere around 20 scooters and I have to say that NEVER have I been so entertained on a bike. If I have to work on it a bit here and there, it's worth it.--Keys
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  7. killerBs

killerBs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd love to scoop one of these up and add wire wheels, change the headlight to a small motorcycle one, and some how add a small motorcycle tank to give it a cafe/tracker look. I'd do this if it was possible to find one cheap.
  8. Bugtussle

Oddometer:
    Having owned a Madass(tinkers cuss) I would say just buy one of these and save yourself allot of grief. >>>> Suzuki TU250X

[​IMG]
  9. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode the MadAss and I was pretty impressed with it. Very peppy and good acceleration. The only thing I didn't like about it was the seat. It felt like I was going to slide forward on it the whole time I rode the bike. The build quality was good.
  10. evilwerkz

evilwerkz Time to ride....

Oddometer:
    I've had a Madass 125cc for some time now.......my impressions....

there are better, faster and cheaper scoots on the market....but none look as cool as MY madass

I do ALL the modding and wrenching on them, is part of the fun....if you're mechanically inclined, good, then it's for you....

I just sold it and bought a 50cc Madass with 600 miles on it, almost brand new.......I rode it for 20 miles and wanted to cry as how slow and sorry the original 50cc is.....but it was CHEAP......and a big 172cc will be built by me for it....so let the fun begin again....

so....bye bye to my former madass 150cc .....

Hardtail 150cc Madass Badass :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Straigth handlebars with no controls whatsoever.....
    [​IMG]

Raised battry tray......better ground clearance to avoid mexico's TOPES ( mega huge speed bumps )

[​IMG]
  11. xroad

xroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I want to build a Madass with the biggest aftermarket engine, does it matter if I start with a Madass 50cc or 125cc? An after market big engine will drop into either model Madass, correct?
  12. xroad

xroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello ? Is ... is ... is anyone here? (cricket chirping)
  13. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same frame on both bikes
  14. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    From the little bit of research I was doing, the BigAss has differences other than just the engine: wheels, brakes, axles...something. I don't remember for sure but, it was enough to make me say, "hmm."
  15. milwaukeemadass

milwaukeemadass Web Geek

Oddometer:
    I think you'd be better starting with the 125 because there are some differences between them. Nothing huge but still.
  16. Bugtussle

Oddometer:
    They are both the same, If your going to change the engine anyway get the 50 they can be picked up for way less than the 125's, The 50's were real dogs! Heres my 50 with a 110 Lifan installed. >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuyAWlAWxjs
  17. xroad

xroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking to buy a used Madass 50. Cannot find any in Amazon or Craigs List. I am in NYC area. I am willing to pick it up from 2 or 3 hours away. Where do you guys normally look for a use Madass?

-xroad
  18. InlineSkate

InlineSkate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For a bike that seems like it would be so light it's a shame these things aren't faster.
  19. Dezzie

Dezzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have nothing against the MadAss, I guess I'm one of those that just doesn't get it. The dealer where I bought my '09 Stella (which I still have and love more every day) sold them back then, but has since dropped them. I sat on one while waiting for them to get my Stella ready, and the first thing I noticed was how uncomfortable it was. The seat felt like those on a road bicycle, the bars were too low for me and the pegs a bit too high and too far bike (the standard sport bike riding position, though not as extreme as some)

I put a little over 10,000 miles on a 2006 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 and loved it. It was about the same price as the MadAss 125, but more substantial and way more comfortable. I traded it when I found something else I just had to have. As for automatics, I have a Zuma 125 and a Vino 125 that are also much more comfortable than the MadAss, and they have about the same top speed. I got the Kawasaki 125 up to an indicated 70 mph. If I were about to buy a brand new small motorcycle right now, I think it would probably be a Suzuki DR200. Still small and flickable, reasonably comfortable, some off road capability, and the big plus, freeway legal when you need to ride a short distance on the freeway.

I don't know if the MadAss 125 has tubeless tires, but that would be a big point in it's favor. I have owned mopeds with cast wheels, but they still had tube type tires. Maybe no one makes tubeless tires in that size.

The MadAss is definitely a one of a kind bike, and I can certainly understand why someone would be attracted to it.