the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. asrvivor

asrvivor Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer:
    I believe the sergeant can come lowered 1 inch. This might be good for you.
  2. SprintST

SprintST Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My DR has a really poor sense of balance and seems to lie down at the most inopportune times. It also has a serious case of overkill on case protection. My thinking is that if my bike lies down and the case gets pierced in the middle of nowhere the $75 savings would be of little consequence.

I first ordered and installed ignition, clutch and oil filter guards from Perry Gray only to find out that the Scorpion skid plate (with protective wings) that I'd also ordered to round out the protection package was no longer available for the DR. I settled on the TCI set-up because I like the side guards and I'm hoping to use them to mount up some highway pegs. After a quick look I'm thinking that moving the passenger pegs/bracket might even be a viable option.

The TCI engine guards got tested the other day when the bike tipped over in the driveway while I was working on it. The guard was scratched up at point of impact but that's it. I'm satisfied. TCI make a quality product. Expensive, but good stuff that bolts right on. It's just one of those things that I was willing to spend a bit extra on. I'll scrimp elsewhere so it all works out in the end.
  3. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    when i was mad about motards i ended up opting for 310mm discs where possible. no noticeable difference in braking power but that 5mm less radius made getting the caliper on a breeze. not much help on a DR650 as i think only the 320mm disc is available, but 310mm discs and caliper adapters are readily available for KTMs, drz400, wr450/250 etc.
  4. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    i'm the same size, 5'9 on a good day though, and i love my Seat Concepts seat! i commute every day (except for yesterday & today due to rain.. :( ) and i love it. no longer does my rear ache.

i agree, but i'd add that the poster should check the condition of the stock filter. mine has shrunk and was lifting at the far corner letting dirt by. i added some wire around the filter foam to hold it to the inner support to keep it from pulling away and not sealing.

i think it shrinks a little with age, like me.
  5. nzrian

nzrian Ugly as sin

Oddometer:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317851500.883909.jpg
    Hello all, I was doing the nsu check last night on my 2009 dr650 with 4000 km, and found that the bolts were Allen head from factory
    Not sure if this has been brought up before should make checking a lot easier
  6. PHILinFRANCE

PHILinFRANCE Long timer

Oddometer:
    After picking my DR up a week or five back my friends been so impressed he's been on the look out for one !!! anyway he got one 1996 with 38k km on the clock for €1200 and in mint condition.................just one small problem at very low speed it's a little lumpy !!! feels like it's lacking gas !!! Any ideas ??????
    Cheers Phil
  7. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    The tiny filter that's in the fuel inlet. You have to pull the gasline off the carb to find it. It's inside the brass inlet. Pull it out and clean it. I tossed mine out and put an inline filter in the fuel line.
  8. Mongle

Mongle Cyberdos groupie

Oddometer:

Well, I am 5' 8", but more in the 215lb range :wink:. I have the Corbin seat and love it. I couldn't ride the stocker for more then 40-50 miles at a time. The Corbin I can go till the gas runs out. It is narrow in the front for standing then wider in the back for comfort. I have stiff springs on mine so even with my weight the bike doesn't sag much when I sit on it. I can't flat foot...but it doesn't bother me.
  9. drsmiley

drsmiley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumbup Thumbs up on getting rid of the tiny filter in the carb inlet. I also put me a in line filter in.
  10. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    the first one that comes up used for a good deal. :evil if you go w/a corbin, be sure it fits your tank; the sargent is supposed to fit any tank. another option would be to get a seat concepts or procycle kit to refurb the stock seat; awailable from procycle.com

doug s.
  11. asrvivor

asrvivor Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer:

If you have the duckets you can send your seat in to procycle and get $75 towards another seat. All they are doing is refabbing your seat when you send it back and reselling it. They will give you a credit towards another for yours.
  12. UberKul

UberKul UberNoob

Oddometer:
    Have not seen/used one in person but my only concern would be if an otherwise simple slide/impact would bend the mounting tabs and generate a single impact point directly into the side case? Otherwise they look very stout and BMWish.
  13. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    you still need case armor, at least on the left side; imo - nothing to stop the gear shift lever from hitting the case... my bike is street only; i need to get some case armor...

doug s.
  14. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone was complaining about how much disassembly was necessary to remove the oil filter with the TCI set-up. He wasn't very happy.
  15. lonewolf97

lonewolf97 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put led turn signal lites on my 97 dr 650 now all 4 lites blink fast when I try right or left. got the lites from Virtual village .com I don't want to add resisters. is there a relay kit that works?:baldy
  16. Harley Beemer

Harley Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This might make sense. I have been running it at 25 psi. guess i could give it a try. Thanks!
  17. Harley Beemer

Harley Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kenda 270 tire.

Looks fully seated all the way around the rim on both sides? Could it still need seating?
  18. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    No....usually there's a little raised rubber ring on the tire near the wheel. If that ring is evenly spaced from the rim all the way around on both sides the tire is seated correctly. Run your finger all the way around on that ring and make sure it's seated evenly.

If it still looks misshapen there's something else going on with that tire.

......shu
  19. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Went for a 4 day Fall ride- it's going to snow here soon, so I wanted to get up high before it does. Hope you guys don't mind if I post a Mini Ride Report featuring my DR here.

Jones Pass

[​IMG]

Hmmm..........seems to be a little DR sized space there to the left. I'll never tell about the somewhat steep rocky road behind the sign, though. My lips are sealed.

[​IMG]

Lots of beetle killed trees in Colorado now. Some of them are being harvested but most will just fall down and rot.

[​IMG]

Colorado's Fall Colors- Spectacular to ride through.

[​IMG]

Quiet lonely tracks.

[​IMG]

Down low, nice and sunny...

[​IMG]

Up high......the storm's moving in on Ptamigan Pass. Time to move on.

[​IMG]

...........shu
  20. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thx Shu!!! Good to see it out in it's environment.