Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even though I posted a big one on 999, I can't help myself so I've got to throw in a post on this most significant of pages!

If Triumph were to bring out an updated Scrambler, here is my list of improvements. Reposition the rear caliper to above the swingarm. Enlarge the fuel tank by 2 or 3 litres while maintaining a similar shape. Bump capacity up a little, increase compression a little, fit higher lift cams and bigger valves for a modest 10-15hp increase.

If they got really serious they should offer a 'Scrambler R' version with upgraded Ohlins suspension front and rear although from a marketing POV, this might be better done on the Thruxton along with the afore-mentioned engine upgrades.
  2. satcen

satcen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap
  3. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Its always good to hear what you have to say Griz regardless of the page number. :deal

My improvements would be an aluminum swingarm, 1" longer fork tubes with sliders for 1" more travel, along with 1" longer shocks or re-angled shocks for that extra inch (or so) of rear travel.
    Quality travel please. Which means compression adjustment front & rear also.
    Shave apprx 1/2" off of seat heights and the bike height would be very close to as is.
    Arrow pipe stock.
    All netting a lighter stock bike.
    Only sneaky subtle changes to keep the nostalgia. Could be the 'R' version.
  4. davidpweis

davidpweis Daydream Believer

Oddometer:
    Got a call from the Dealer today; My matte black Scram is in, and on the showroom floor, ready to be paid for!

Well..its paid for now :deal...But with rain in the forecast until tonight, I leave it there until tomorrow.

Very excited, as I'm sure many of you were on 'that' day.

Like introducing 2 cats together, I'm bringing my 1200 LT in for service, and the Scram will get the garage all to herself until she settles in..Then the introductions.:freaky

Meanwhile, wife has been told..That went well..:huh

D
  5. Joe883

Joe883 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my hitch ordered, got the kayak and the trailer ordered, now to just put everything together and blow peoples minds...
  6. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder Tiger Cub

Oddometer:
    Ya know, I think if Triumph changed much it would spoil the easy-going nature of the bike and raise it's price to the point where we wouldn't want to pay for it when there are other bikes with even more of... whatever. As it is, we can each make the improvements we prioritize for ourselves and end up with a bike that is as individual as each of us, without having to spend a ton of cash. Better suspension? Check. A bit more tone and power? Check. Personalized look and function? Check.

I'm glad my Scram started its life the way it did. And I like it even more now. :1drink
  7. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

I don't want Triumph to fix all of the "problems", better that there be stuff for each owner to do to personalize their bikes. I do think that high on the list of changes should be to a headlight that does more than alert oncoming vehicles to your presence, that has to be 'the' glaring safety issue (for anyone that rides after dark). Moving the caliper above the swing arm might be a good choice as well although most of us will never need it changed, it would not have cost them much to do it right to begin with. Most all else is subject to personal preference. I'd like flanged rims but haven't found a 17 yet, a "non-Madona" tail light, better (not loud) sound, improved shocks and mirrors that do not rust overnight. I will get there eventually, after over thinking each step. I do believe that if they are going to ship them still in primer - the price should be less but mine is shiney (although green/silver wasn't my first choice), probably won't be painting unless something unplanned happens.

Bruce
  8. davidpweis

Oddometer:
    The only thing I would change (Which I am) is to put the rear break caliper on the top of the disk; not the bottom.

Thats it..

D
  9. Chowdown

Chowdown Texas Aussie

Oddometer:
    what are you using to do that? (got link?)
  10. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    ////////=1 It's a bike we can all make our own. :clap

Regards, Paul
  11. sandsquirt

sandsquirt n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry to say but thats somebody elses TW. I have my eye on a scrambler built like it. I found a bike thats coming up for auction from a salvage house. The headlamp is knocked off and the forks are twisted. Perfect find for a leading link set up.

Joe883. Do you have visions of a scrambler pulling a trailer?
  12. Joe883

Joe883 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :huh
    Yes I do Sand, If my 883 Sportster could do it, I know the Scrambler will too. Still have my camping trailer but now, I'll be towing a Hobie Mirage Outfitter kayak on a lightweight Trailex Aluminum trailer. Not far, mostly around Omaha to the various lakes with my daughter. Should be a blast. I used to Tow a Nacra 5.2 Catamaran sailboat with a VW Rabbit Cabriolet. Boat's a lot longer than the car. For added tongue weight I can bolt a rubbermaid medium size tub to it. Put supplies, life jackets, gear in it. Of course this is all theory for now. But with gas prices forcast to spike at $5.00 a gal, why buy a car when I can adapt my Scrambler to do my bidding. And lets be honest who doesnt love the looks of "Are you crazy???' from cagers. I have gotten those when i rode in a blizzard, or it was 10 degrees out, or when I carried my golf clubs on my bike to the course. Golfers heres a tip...Backpack carry bag, turn your irons upside down in the bag, and put on the rain cover. the weight distributes evenly across your shoulders when riding.

Joe
  13. davidpweis

Oddometer:
  14. davidpweis

Oddometer:
  15. EtowahKLR

EtowahKLR Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. Chowdown

Chowdown Texas Aussie

Oddometer:
  17. keep it simple!

keep it simple! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We all want the same: less weight,more power,better suspension.
    Talked to the dealer today and the problem is that the more power AND meet the emission regulations would be very hard with an aircooled engine.
    The only water that I want around the engine is when passing a creek...
    So: no radiator,no more waterhoses and let those beautifull cool fins stay.

Question: anyone has experience with ceramic coating of the headers? (antiblueing,easier cleaning,good-looking...) Cpst?
  18. 9mmMike

9mmMike Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For changes, the first on my list would be a slightly larger fuel tank.... without affecting the overall look of course.

Other than stopping more frequently for fuel than I'd like, I am really quite happy with the bike (and my own mods) as it is now.....for now......

But even if they introduced some of the changes we've listed, I'd be unlikely to get rid of my current bike for new.
  19. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Griz - are those aftermarket wheels, or a fitment from something else? They look great!

Jason
  20. henryII

henryII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool bike from Atom... showed on the bikeexif site.
    [​IMG]