Shinko's New 180/55 Dual Sport . . . .

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by KEN PHENIX, Dec 24, 2012.

1. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I used to help out a flattracker. He was always cutting.

I mostly ride pavement, but, the issue is when I take off down dirt roads and double-track.

I've seen a 1050 with the Distanzia front and rear. The guy used a 160/60, which is nearly the same diameter as the 180/55. I'm a little concerned about rolling off the edge of a 160 on a 5.5" rim, on asphalt. IDK, just speculating.

I was looking at some of their other offerings, for the front. I don't like any front tire with a circumferential groove down the center, as they seem to track grooves in the pavement.
  2. ProZac235

ProZac235 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good job. Interesting to find out how long they last.
  3. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Yeah, same here.

My 919 has a 6" wide rear wheel so a thinner tire was out of the question for me.

I haven't noticed the Raven grabbing the pavement grooves any more than any other tire I've used - maybe even less.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    For sure, even more limiting.

Another thought with using a 160 on my bike is that it'll float less in deeper gravel. I tried to ride the TWAT and the 180 just skated all over the place. I had to use plenty of throttle, on many uphills. Of course, if the TKC had been available, I would've been running 'em.

Hmm. I'm pretty sure I'll try a set of these. Though, I was looking at the 005 Advance and wondering what I could do with that tread pattern. It looks like it'd take even less effort to make it dirtier.

I have a tire machine and balancer and do sell tires out of my home shop. I've only had one guy want Shinkos and he chose the 011 Verge. I don't value his feedback, as he rides mostly around town and fears any kind of speed or adventure.
  5. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    I'm feelin' it brother.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

:lurk
  6. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll keep you posted.
  7. Ramseybella

Ramseybella Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been using the Ravens for two years, I will never pay for high end Dual compound tires.
  8. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm getting there, too.

I get all my tires through a distributor, because I sell/install quite a few sets. Even so, the Aisian-made stuff is still a lot less money. However, the Malaysia-made Conti Motion clearly don't have the tread depth of big name tires. I'll be lucky to get 5K miles out of the set on my 1050. The rear has crazy uneven wear, despite running 42psi. The front is evenly wearing, but, nearly shot. If I'm remembering correctly, the 011 Verge set I installed had much deeper tread, which is why I was seriously looking at the Shinkos.
  9. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    UPDATE

I have around 1,600 miles on the groove job. I pulled the rear wheel yesterday for new chain & sprockets. Upon close visual inspection of the tire, I find no bad news whatsoever to report.

[​IMG]

:D
  10. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the front holding out, as well?
  11. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Fine. I did another 500 wet highway miler last weekend. I get a little vibe out of the front above 85 but the previous tire, a Dunlop D616 was so twitchy I didn't want to go that fast. I think I can see a little vertical runout in one of my rotors. I'll check the whole front end out soon but I have no reason to believe it's the Shinko.
  12. tracvision

tracvision n00b

Oddometer:
    Ken, Give us a recent update on the Shinkos project. How are they, or did they, hold up. What type of traction in the dirt. I enjoyed your posts.
  13. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Has me thinking I can do this also

Love the Ravens on the rear and the 005 advance on the front. Never buying the high cost tires again in the 180/55/17 again either....

Good idea
  14. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Hand grooving the Shinko's is a viable option and I might do it again someday. Mine were doing fine at 6k when my pre-ordered Metzeler Tourance NEXT arrived. Yes, the NEXT is available in a 180/55/17.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, I changed out the bad front rotor and the vibration went away.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be curious to see how those arc grooves, running circumferential, wear. On Michelin's Pilot Power, that type of groove always started a cup, along the outer edge of it. The tread would end up stepping down, as one ran their hand outward, across the tread face. It would cause stupid amounts of tramlining, on certain (mostly crowned) roads.

As an update for myself, I had a takeoff Avon Storm from 6yrs ago. I bought a matching rear and just put them on, last week. Ongoing health issues have really kept me off the bike, this year.
  16. draco_1967

draco_1967 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Metzler Z8 with those arc grooves. At 5k miles, they are noticeably cupped, and cause vibrations in turns, mostly at lower speeds.

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player, a saw blade, a fork, and an umbrella.