Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (UPAT - 1250 Miles of the UP Backcountry)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Dyno

Dyno Conquistador

Oddometer:
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Glad you found the path interesting. Looks like there will be quite a few groups from quite a few places making this trip this season. So far I think the group coming the farthest is one from the Carolinas.

I'm really looking forward to hearing about other riders' experiences with this track, especially those that ride it on big bikes.

I'm very anxious to get back up there to do some riding myself, but things are still pretty much covered in snow right now. Very scenic I'm sure, but not much for motorcycling.
    [​IMG]
  3. z@ch

z@ch Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer:
    Isn't that the sand road out to Whitefish? :lol3
  4. OldSilverFox

OldSilverFox Let's Go!

Oddometer:
    Michigan trail riding sticker????

I'd like to ride some of the route that you have posted and detailed in the UPAT post this summer and am in the planning stages now. One question I have is I understand that because a lot of the trails are MDR managed you have to have a valid trail riding sticker. I've looked on line at their web site but can't find anything that looks close. It appears that there is a new $10 sticker but I don't think that is for the trails. Can someone help on how to get the sticker though the internet.
    Thanks in advance.
  5. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ORV (Off road vehicle) sticker is available from the Michigan DNR (Department of Natural Resources)...Google Michigan DNR....go to their website and buy it on line with a credit card....$16.25
  6. motoxer667

motoxer667 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try this link.
    http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/Welcome/Default.aspx
    You will have to purchase a "sport card" for a $1 too.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You don't need a sport card for a buck. You can use the free DNRE card to buy ORV stickers. Stickers arrive quickly via mail.

You are going to have a great ride. Looking forward to hearing about it afterward!
  8. OldSilverFox

OldSilverFox Let's Go!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info and rapid response. I'll get my sticker.
  9. motoxer667

motoxer667 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the correction. I have had to purchase one before when I bought a ORV sticker at a gas station. I should have read further into the site before I opened my mouth.
  10. Utah Bones

Utah Bones Gas X ready!

Oddometer:
    Excellent!:beer
  11. striperjunky

striperjunky Go team "Venture" !!!!!

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Tito's.....good stuff!!

Me and the wife will be in the UP area around mid August for some camping,fishing, and we're bringing our DR's with us. Can all of the appropriate ID's/orv stickers be purchased via online or do i have to walk into a government office somewhere? We're out of staters from Ga. and heard about the UP from a fellow inmate. We did the Trans-Lab highway last year and want to hang out in the UP for a few weeks this year!! Thanx

Rocky
  12. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. jglow

jglow Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot,

Just getting started reading this one:*sip* - excellent as always. Thanks for your effort!

p.s. I would hate to be your photo hosting website, you certainly are getting your money's worth :evil.

Jordan
  14. lgottler

lgottler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend and myself had the opportunity to hop on a few of your tracks over this past weekend. We stayed just south of Munising at my friends cabin and spent two cold, windy, wet days testing my new bike and just having some fun. Put on 348 miles and only two low speed flops, but had a blast!

We made mostly our own way around, but we did see a few miles of the UPAT.

A couple waypoints you might be interested in:

A new gas station and grocery store at: N46 15.855 W86 55.727

There is a trail to the Silver Falls that splits here and is only a .6 mile ride right to the edge of the falls on a 2 track: N46 26.553 W86 58.153

And if you ever have a chance, this is pretty cool here, reminds me of The Shire: N46 26.191 W87 19.116 and 2.6 miles of road to the south.

Thanks again!

Lucas
  15. MeanStreaker

MeanStreaker KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer:
    Well looky looky what I got in the mail this week...

[​IMG]

A good friend and I have vacation time approved and will be following Cannon's excellent tracks July 25-31.

Can't wait! :clap
  16. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    I don't understand quite how to read this. Is the waypoint you describe where "The Shire" is? Or is it 2.6 miles of road south of there? I don't understand the "...and 2.6 miles of road to the south" statement. Thx.
  17. lgottler

lgottler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you go to that waypoint, then you will be at the northern point of the "shire" section of the road. If you drive south on that road, the next 2.6 miles are cool.
  18. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. Now I see what you're getting at. Thanks!
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jordan!

Thanks Lucas. I was in Munising myself on Saturday. I also drove past the Traunik station between Trenary and Chatham as well. Very familiar area as I have some friends with cabins within a few miles.

I'm glad you got to ride a little bit of the larger UPAT route.

Thanks for the waypoints. Just so there is no confusion for people riding the UPAT, two of these are not on the UPAT route.

I have more than a couple of thousand miles of tracks in the UP - most of which I post for people to download and enjoy. I share many of them via links in GPS Central. I'll add your suggestions to the master compilation of UP tracks.

For this thread, I try to keep the focus on the UPAT route itself. When I put this out I had to make some choices about what to by-pass and what to include to keep the route rideably efficient and hold it to a reasonable amount of time. The Silver Falls side trip is along the route and may be an interesting additional stop for some. I just verified that the two track you speak of is FR 2276 and that according to the MVUM it is open to all vehicles. My source reference says there is a small parking area before the falls and that there is a hike from there to the falls. It is probably not intended that motor vehicles to go all the way to the edge of the falls.

If you find that you will be spending more time in Munising, you may want to check out the variety of tracks I have that cover a wide band between Munising and Rapid River.

I'm very glad you are enjoying the riding in the UP. I think there are some fabulous opportunities there!
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You guys are going to have a blast!!!! Looking forward to hearoing about it!