Did I Fry my USB on my 76csx?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by leonphelps, Aug 7, 2009.

1. leonphelps

leonphelps TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer:
    So I think I may of fried my USB connection on my 76csx. I direct connected a USB plug to my motorcycle battery and plugged it in. Now its not completely fried, when I plug in a power cord it will get power. But when I try to connect it to the computer to connect to mapsource, it isn't located by the computer. I reloaded the USB drivers from garmin and reloaded Mapsource, but still nothing. I even caenged computers, still nothing. Tried different USB cables, nothing. When I switch it to Mass Storage device, the computer won't recognize it. In the settings the USB connection states "not connected"...I made sure it says "Garmin" under the connection....

Garmin says its $110 for out of warranty repair.....everything still works on it, but I can't add anything...like track, maps or way points.

Ideas??
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like USB circuit is dead. You were not aware that USB is 3V or 5V but absolutly not 12V?

You connect two pins of the round connector to 12V for external power.
  3. leonphelps

Oddometer:
    I was reading other threads where inmates were saying it could take up to 12 volts no problems. I was aware of the 3V or 5V, but "assumed" it would be fine. Guess they/I was wrong. :((
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt very much that it has a regulator to drop voltage and 12V will fry a 5V chip. CycoActive and others sell 12V to USB regulators for Oregon and others that dont have 12V input! That is a big clue that the "inmates" are full of it.
  5. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I don't think anyone was "full of it", he just misunderstood. I've never seen anyone say on here that the 60/76 could take 12 volts at the USB connection.
  6. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    My original setup was 12V through a 5V regulator to my USB connector. That worked fine for a long time. Then I switched things around and accidently ran 12V into the USB connector. That fried my 76cx such that it wouldn't even turn on. It was completely dead. Warranty fixed it. Now I only use the big round connector, with 12V. It's amazing to me that your unit turns on after what happened.
  7. leonphelps

Oddometer:
    I'll probably send it out to get fixed after I get back from my TAT trip. Unless anyone can guarantee that Garmin will get it back to me repaired before August 28th?:deal
  8. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not a very good work around, but the big 12v connector is also a serial data port. With Garmins serial data cable (and a serial to USB adapter if needed) you may still be able to communicate and transfer data although at a much slower rate. Not so bad with waypoints, tracks etc, but a pain with maps.

Bruce
  9. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    +1

Many Garmins have regulators built in to the power connectors but USB is different.

There's a lot of power cable information on the PFranc site.
  10. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    werd
  11. StephenB

StephenB G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer:
    You can always use a card reader to read and write data and use batteries ... if all else fails. You haven't completely fried it. I know how you feel ... simply stupid!
  12. Claybuster

Claybuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fried my Colorado the same way, 12V through the mini USB. Just sent in the Colorado and the 276c (for corrosion in the mini USB).

I guess I'll have to dig out the old GPS III+ so I don't get lost.:D