What do you cook/eat when camping?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by tafflink, Dec 3, 2007.

1. RonkoRider

RonkoRider Wrong Island, NY Supporter

Oddometer:
    30 Simple Ramen Noodle Hacks

[​IMG]
    MMMMMMMMMMMMM.............Ramenepard Pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet if you make a twig fire on top of your cookset, this would help serve as the broiler to get the ramen nice and crisp!

Ramen Noodle Hacks Slideshow

Rame 'n Cheese

[​IMG]

Hmmm....can I use my Whisperlite in the basement to experiment this weekend?
  2. Stromdog

Stromdog Howl at the Moon

Oddometer:
    Dinty Moore Beef Stew! Hot dogs with Hormel Chili and shredded Kraft cheese. Burgers, beans and a salad. Stop at a buffet that has a lot of veggies. Pack peanut butter and Italian bread, jerky, etc.

All good. We don't waste time with the "gourmet", routine. We just like to ride. The food thing is simple and should be. That's why I bike travel. The fancy setups I leave at home. I can grill with the best of them, but I leave the frills at home.

I like the basic, no non-sense, stuff on the road. God, guns and guts. :lol3

Good on you guys that go to the trouble of doing the 3 star quality cooking. :D
  3. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
  4. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    I used to take a small, hard plastic cooler and now have a Polar Bear.

1) the PB keeps stuff colder (the ice last longer so I need to buy less ice)
    2) the PB smooshes down when I don't need it (heading back home)
    3) the PB makes a nice backrest
    4) the hard cooler makes a nice seat at camp

Yeah it's expensive and I'm New England frugal, but I'm a convert. Oh, and it comes in pink.
  5. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent summary. I would add that there is a current sale going on with Polar Bear Coolers at their website with the coupon code "5150" which gets a 10% discount. (I'm not a vendor or financially related, just passing on a deal). During the winter they typically have a 2 for 1 sale.

Also, these little coolers are used to transport human organs which testifies to their ability to keep items cool for long periods of time under far more strict conditions that we have to endure.

6. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
    Which is very handy for the harvesting surgeon if we have one of these on our donorcycles when we wreck. :D
  7. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ways to keep food cold/frozen for a day or two _ wrap frozen items in al foil and then newspaper, stick in zip lock and pack in ice. Dry ice will keep newspaper wrapped stuff frozen for a couple of days. Buy it at Wally World.
  8. VFR

VFR Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I got an email from geoff at Polar Bear just today. He is offering 10% off for Spring Break.

Quote from the email below:

"Traveling for Spring Break? Don't forget to pack a Polar Bear Cooler. Order now and receive 10% off. Just use coupon code 5150 at Step 2 during check out. Or, call us at 888-438-7924."

I have both the 6&12pack coolers - worth every penny!!

Actually, they aren't that expensive - for a cooler that really works!
  9. asphaltmueller

asphaltmueller nomad acc. § 2(3)AVV

Oddometer:
    one way to cool stuff is to use a normal plastic water bottle and deep freeze is - takes more than one day for a 1,5 l bootle till it's really deep frozen.

Even in a mediocre cooler there will be a little ice left in the bottle the 3rd day.

Unless the plastic is absolute crap, the bottle will not crack due to the expansion when freezing.

Added benefit for many should be the water which you have to bring anyway in a lot of areas
  10. ownst1100

ownst1100 BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer:
    Polar Bear Cooler are worth every penny. A friend won a 12 can PB at WARP a couple of years ago and passed it on to me. Used it once and never went back. Worked so well I ordered the 24 can. Keeps ice longer than anything else i,ve tried. On longer trips I carry both. The 12 can size I carry beverage in and not only fits (perfect fit) in the smaller LH Jesse bag its a good fit on the rack.

[​IMG]

The 24 can size is a perfect fit in the larger RH Jesse. I carry most of my food there. Weekend trips I use just the 24 can size. Besides, what other cooler will fit in you panniers and do this?

[​IMG]
  11. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is this 24 can PB you speak of?:y0!
    :beer
  12. Mimer

Mimer Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    Or just keep it simple, no need for cooling: (Water or the right, burning water on the left).
    [​IMG]

Some say the glass bottle adds a lot of weight. But you have to consider that if you bring this bottle it replaces the tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, toothbrush, clean clothes and a lot more. :D
    Thumperiffic likes this.
  13. Nitzo

Nitzo Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1000 on the polar bear coolers

I have both the 6 and 12. I find the 6 is a bit small, I'll be ordering a 24 to go with the 12 soon.
  14. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    We've got a couple of soft coolers that work pretty well. We travel two up, so we don't carry food during the day, but we do like to keep our beer cold. If we're going to be in one spot for a couple days, it's nice to keep the food chilled.
  15. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
    When I see ice for sale, it's generally in pretty big bags. How do you buy only a modest amount of ice?
  16. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
    I clicked on the pink cooler and it took me to a page that said "seek help".
  17. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    When I'm on the road I often stop at a name brand motel (not a Mom & Pop) and ask if I can get little ice, I've never been turned down.
  18. ownst1100

ownst1100 BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer:
    Did a little more testing last weekend. Brats were the test and it passed with flying colors.

[​IMG]

Sorry about the 2 hotdogs mixed in there. We have someone in the group who has never :huh tasted a brat and we had to mix in a couple dogs. So if anything it cooks hotdogs pretty damn good too.
  19. Rosie!

Rosie! Little MissAdventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do a lot of camping off the bike, and really enjoy cooking good food, so I came up with a purpose-built tailpack for carrying food on the road.

[​IMG]

The bag is made of fairly heavy rip-stop nylon, bought from a local fabric shop. The bag has two separate compartments. The top doesn’t have any padding or reinforcement, and is expandable storage for non-crushable things, like pasta, muesli, rice and milk powder. My foldable bowl also fits in the top.

[​IMG]

The bottom section has closed cell foam in the walls and base, for reinforcement, and for insulation, if it needs to be used as a chilly bag. The lid of the bottom section is made of a thin flexible chopping board backed with closed cell foam.

[​IMG]

When attached to my bike, this flips open onto my bike seat and acts as a work surface for preparing sandwiches for lunch. I have four screw top jars the same height as the bottom section that further reinforce each corner, so squashable things can be stored in this section. The containers hold things like coffee grounds, and can be used for mixing up powdered milk.

The base of the bag has a sleeve that holds a fairly thick plastic chopping board. This gives the bag a firm base, and having a nice big board makes food prep easier in the field.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ve used it for one overnight trip so far, and it worked really well. I’m looking forwared to getting out on some longer trips so I can really test it out.
  20. vasculopath

vasculopath You are not your bike Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should really patent that and sell it. Perfect for alot of folks on this board, like about a thousand of us or so...