ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Nomad

Nomad High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer:
    hey joby what did you use to secure the wrap and did you get the silicone spray too?
  2. Joby Rebel

Joby Rebel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just used tie wire like you would do on grips, and no i didn't use the sealer spray. I might still put it on before spring just not sure the pros and cons just yet. I think it will dry fine without but I wonder if the spray would help keep the dirt out, water in. just not sure:) more pondering in order. what you think?
  3. Stifdickerson2006

Stifdickerson2006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do not use the spray I have used wrap on several bikes with the spray and without and the spray gives it a little more durability for road use,But it does not work well for the offroad use it makes the wrap brittle and the pounding it gets from debris kicked up from the frt wheel will eat it up much quicker than with out the spray. If you have a heat shield that covers it in that area where the pipe bends you would probably be ok but without it, the wrap will fail quickly. just make sure when you are done washing the bike you ride it a bit and get the ppe hot as to dry the wrap before any storage. I too use the safety wire rather than those expensive stainless zip ties that do not hold anything tight(there junk).
  4. Joby Rebel

Joby Rebel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight:) No spray then
  5. Nomad

Nomad High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer:
    whew glad I held off on the silicone spray. thanks for the tip brotherman!
  6. Atomic Wedgie

Atomic Wedgie n00b

Oddometer:
    I took the stock headlight off and replaced it with a Baja Designs Squadron...ended up having probs with the BD light so I took it off to get fixed. I haven't been running a headlight for the last couple of outings.

But what happens when you ride with the light off?? I cant remember if the stocker stays on all the time or not, the BD light is off or full power, no high or low beam.
  7. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    The stock EXC light is on always. Easy to turn off, just pull the brown ground plug off the bulb holder.

The XCW light is switched, so no reason you can't turn it off.
  8. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have the specs for the height and pull back (sweep) of the stock 2013 bars? I have given up up trying to mount traditional barkbusters to my go-to bars, shortened Pastrana FMX high. With the shortened bars, the hose from the clutch master cylinder is just too much in the way. God knows why KTM had to specify a straight run out of the reservoir. I am going to go with a HDB setup, and get some addition rise on the mounts so I can use the stock KTM bars. I need to pic up some height in the HDB mounts and I would like to compare the height difference between these two bars, because the Pastrana FMX in the 4th position is perfect.
  9. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Might find this chart helpful.
  10. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    The 500 EXC is my next choice for a bike (although I'm happy with my FE450- I'd like to have more oil capacity and a long-range tank). Been looking on craigslist... why are all the used EXC's on the west coast? Seriously, there are a lot out west, and none on the east coast. Is there a reason for that?
  11. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:

Winter on the East coast is not the time to sell an off-road machine.
  12. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    Good point. I guess since I pay $150-$200 per bike (per month) to park mine, I have a different viewpoint. Obviously, I'm in the minority. (Man, the crap you need to put up with to live in NYC!)
  13. Cyberg

Cyberg Adventurer

Oddometer:

$150-$200 a month each!

MOVE...MOVE...MOVE
  14. J.Johnson

J.Johnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is a fast drawing on installing diodes into the two wires that run into the turn signal indicator. Run both wires into tier own diode. I used 3 amp radio shack diodes. Cost 1.75. Then connect both diodes to one side of the turn signal indicator lamp. Ground the other side of the lamp. The colors may not be the same on you bike. But you get the idea. The diode has a stripe on one side of it. That side goes towards the indicator lamp. ( I refer to the indicator lamp as the one at the dash. Hope this helps [​IMG]

Sent with mind control...
  15. djhartm

djhartm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2013 500 EXC & followed the desog instructions verbatim yet am still getting popping & backfiring on deccel. I have placed bolts in both openings & used high-temp RV sealant and Locktite. I have removed, inspected, and reinserted numerous times and still cannot get rid of that confounded popping! I've also had a competent mechanic friend double-check everything.

I do have the stock/mild/wild map switch installed (pops under all modes) and an FMF MegaBomb/RCT4.1 combo. Bike also stalls a lot in first gear despite moving the idle-adjust knob several clicks counter-clockwise.

I am pretty frustrated. :(

On a side note, I ordered the KTM billet check-valve for the gas cap, and noticed that it was missing during a ride yesterday. I am assuming that the tank pressurized during use & blew the valve off (the small hose was still connected). Since the valve only allows are to enter the tank, not exit, how would this not happen again? I don't believe there are any other vents on the tank to allow vapors to escape.

Help!!!
  16. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    If you still have the stock ECU map in your bike, it will ignore the map switch; correct? Get the unrestricted "Euro" map installed by the dealer.
  17. Capp

Capp Resident

Oddometer:
    You still running the stock map or did you have the ECU remapped? If not, get the XCW or the EU map loaded.

18. djhartm

djhartm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am still running the stock US map.

I emailed my local dealer about getting the Euro map installed but never received a reply<ROLE eyes>; guess I will have to call them.
  19. Hueychief

Hueychief FNG

Oddometer:
    djhartm,
    My dealer isn't readily accessible so I installed the JD Tuner and problem with decel popping and stalling were solved. In the future, when the opportunity presents itself, I will have the ecu remapped and the JD Tuner should be redundant at that time.
    My bike is also desmogged with the FMF pipe.
  20. djhartm

djhartm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought about the JD Tuner but there seemed to be a dearth of info regarding its effectiveness. If my local dealer balks, I will go the JDT route.

Thanks.