KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have one too. It has been in for 4 months or so with no issues. I never put it on the trickle charger. steve

2. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    SHORAI Battery only way to go :thumb

More CCA's & More Amp Hour Rating :clap

Mine has been Great in my 950 :D
  3. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:

I would just buy the KTM "wood screws" from your dealer and use the tank Just Gas Tanks sent you. Or have Just Gas Tanks send you a set. Those screws work pretty good IMO.
  4. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    Yeah I just dropped it off at the dealer and they said its under control. Thanks for the responses!
  5. GJRider

GJRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are any of you guys running coolant catch tanks?
  6. Bora20

Bora20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope. I haven't lost a drop of coolant with the fan.
  7. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Dirt Biker

Oddometer:
    Nope. I was tempted with that mod first regarding over heating...especially since the jap bikes go that route. I rode my bike for about 3-4 rides on single track with just the basic mods, needle raised 2 positions, fuel catch can removed and uncorked. It rode fine and never boiled over with air temp. around 25Celsius.

To be safe, I followed the flock and installed the fan & JD jetting and tried to stay with that last year. Every time raced, the fan drained the stock battery, I had to kick a lot, So, I now have the TurnTech battery and Trailtech stator.

With the fan in with the stock themostat, it never boils over..must be better for the motor than boiling over and letting it cool.
  8. GJRider

GJRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone:D Do the Ktm fan kits run all the time? Or have any of you put a switch to run it manually?
  9. Hugerush

Hugerush Furbrain

Oddometer:
    The fan is activated by a temperature switch and only runs when the coolant is hot.

It is, however, connected directly to the battery and will run if the coolant is hot enough regardless of the ignition switch (key) position (like a typical car with an electric radiator fan).

Some people add a switch so they can disconnect it if required to conserve (battery) power. I have found, if it does run after stopping, it is not for more than 5 to 10 seconds so no big deal.
  10. bootz

bootz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an '08 530. Installed the fan kit, overflow tank, oversize water pump, high output stator, and a manual switch. We just got back from running the TAT in CO. Dropped down into Moab UT for a day or two (friekin hot!). JD Jetting set for 6000-9000 while in CO & rejetted to 3000-6000 for UT. Puttering around in town or doing slow trail work I'd run around 200 degrees. The highest temp I saw was 225. Running down the trail at speed it would vary anywhere from 177 to 200, depending on load and outside temperature. Never boiled over and didn't notice any change in the level within the catch tank. I'm thinking about adding larger radiators or maybe an oil cooler. I'd be much happier if I could keep the temp under 200.

I let the fan run all the time. With the high output stator and upgraded battery, there was never a time when the battery went low. I did kick start it a few times, just to make sure I could. Worked like a charm
  11. GJRider

GJRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bootz- Damn, you have all the goods wrapped up in one there! Sounds like a kick ass trip:thumb
  12. bigborefan

Oddometer:
  13. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    Curious what you all are using for carrying tools on the 530? I have used various tool bags over the years, but didn't want to put one on the 530. After carrying everything in a flight vest for a while, I'm starting to consider a tool bag again...

Pics of your set up appreciated.
  14. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    When running tubes, I run a spare tube in the airbox, across beneath the Battery.

Everything else, I carry in a camelback. My experience has been that stuff on the bike gets the crap beat out of it over time/ vibration.
  15. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Dirt Biker

Oddometer:
    I bought a second TwinAir Filter (pre-oiled) from Rocky Mountain ATV over the winter for multi-day rides. I finally put it on and noticed it was a little small-maybe a 1/4 inch around the rim. A bit of stretching and extra grease and it seemed to work OK.

I washed up both today and was able to compare it closely. They aren't stitched the same!:huh

The stick-on lable on the bag does say KTM 530.

Anybody else notice this? I haven't spoken to R.M. ATV yet...

By the way, I found the pre-oiled filter twice as difficult to clean...like the dirt was glued in. Not sure if this is better?
  16. bigborefan

Oddometer:

Here is a good tool kit thread. Hilslamer has it all figured out IMO.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998

I run the same belt as Hilslamer, OGIO 450. Mine is the cool KTM orange one. I modded it with some extra strap parts. It wouldn't stay tight.

I also had a Moose fanny pack before the OGIO, I liked it very much as well. Maybe a little better than the OGIO. Not sure if the new Moose is the same though.

I recently added a Kriega R15 backpack. I run a bladder in it. It holds spare gloves, spare goggles, wallet, cell phone, and whatever else. It is not very big, but fits really well. It's a nice backpack.

Motion Pro has a lot of cool tools. I run quite a few of their things in my tool bag. I especially like their aluminum tire tools with built in axle wrench.
  17. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a Wolfman Enduro Tool Kit for the tools.
    Everything else I keep in the Camelback.
  18. Bora20

Bora20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Giant Loop Movaji. Enough room for spare tubes, fuel bottle, food, and all the tools you will ever need for a single or 2-3 day trip (if in hotel). Hasn't moved since I mounted it and is 2" away from the FMF Q4.

My camelback is all that is on my back now. It is heaven and sure makes me less tired.

[​IMG]
  19. Bomb_Dude

Bomb_Dude Adventurer

Oddometer:

Has anyone had problems with the carb bogging when the bike gets hot. I was riding out at the west mesa in Albuquerque with the temp around 101 degrees. This has happened twice on hot rides, the bike will leak a lot of gas when this happens. Is my float sticking? Should I take it in or is this easy to fix? Any help would be great, sarcastic comments will be laughed at. Yes I ended a sentence with a preposition:rofl.
    Thanks,
    Marc
  20. Deseret Rider

Deseret Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If someone will instruct me on how to place a picture here I'll show you a neat solution to the question "how to carry tools (and stuff) on a 530".