The Home Made Bread Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by a1fa, Nov 29, 2009.

1. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Soughdough baguette?

I've been backing sourdough bread for a while -- big old Jaba the Loaf things . . . . . .how would I branch out into baguettes?
  2. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Just a shape, really- most artisan bakeries use the same dough for sour white/sour batard/country white, whatever you want to call your basic white sourdough, and their baguettes, as far as I know.

When your dough is ready to shape, envelope fold it and roll into a small torpedo (about the size of a hot dog bun) and pinch the seam closed. Let that torpedo rest for about 5 minutes, then roll it back and forth on your work surface moving your hands apart from each other, ending up with a 1.25-1.5" diameter snake only tapered at the ends. Let it (them) rise in a well floured piece of canvas or linen (a couche), with folds separating the loaves.

In that picture I took, I've taken them out of the couche and set them on parchment paper- the parchment slides onto the baking stone in the oven, and then I remove the parchment after 12-15 minutes, when I flip the loaves around to get them to bake evenly. The parchment really helps get the baguettes into the oven without ending up crooked or bunched up.

It's really nice to have a piece of thin plywood or plastic or something to flip the baguettes out of the couche onto, and then flip them back right side up on the parchment or peel. I use a piece of 1/4" plywood about 3" x 20".

Does that help? I'm sure there are videos out there that explain it better than I do.
  3. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Slack-- that's great, thanks!

Other than pancakes and Curling Stone loaves, I've not made anything from my 30+ year old starter . . . . I'm looking forward to branching out a lil . . . . . .
  4. Barnstormer

Barnstormer Logistique

Oddometer:
    GET IN MY BELLY.

[​IMG]
  5. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
    Blech. No-knead turned out no good.

Will have to try that again when the house isn't -5000 degrees.

needed more fermentation time, salt, and proofing.

On the plus side the crust came out exactly the texture I wanted. It just tasted like starched ass.
  6. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Looks are deceiving?

Ko
  7. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:

Was that one baked in a regular or dutch oven?

Ko
  8. aceluck

aceluck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So wifey got little personal sized dutch ovens for x-mas, and I decided to try no-knead dinner rolls, along with my usual 4-loaf batch

in for pre-heat
    [​IMG]

dough in
    [​IMG]

result
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Barnstormer

Barnstormer Logistique

Oddometer:

Dutch Oven
  10. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:

Love it. :clap
    I'd hate to hear the cost of them little oven pots....Sure would like to have a set tho....
  11. aceluck

aceluck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On sale for 4$ each, regular was 12$. Not too bad...
  12. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Those Dutch Oven pictures are Godly, lol.

Who makes them? I take it they aren't porcelain coated cast iron then if they're $4 each :D
  13. noshoes

Oddometer:
    Tried no knead is a cold kitchen. Pretty much didn't get any rise, and absolutely no oven spring. Also had to work late, and didn't get to the dough in a timely matter. I tried this loaf with chopped radish sprouts in it for flavor, as I read about sprouted grain breads. Maybe the radish's are too tangy for the yeast . I don't know, but it sure tastes good with butter.

[​IMG]
  14. YBViking

YBViking Bedroom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How can it be cold in Arizona?

I have the same problem here in New England Easy solution- raise the bread in the oven! No, don't turn on the heat- just the oven light. It keeps the inside of the oven warm enoght for the yeast todo its work. :clap
  15. noshoes

Oddometer:
    I scraped ice off the windscreen this morning. Thanks for the oven light tip, I'll try that next loaf.
  16. Bokrijder

Bokrijder Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer:
    Noshoes -- I might think about some other issue than temperature. I've got pre-ferment retarding in the frig. with more bounce than that.
    Radish sprouts - no idea on that addition, but you can't just throw anything in a dough and expect predictable results. Mentioned this is your first go with no-knead, probably better to save any experimenting for later.
    You mentioned being behind schedule with the timing -- over ripened and collapsed ??

Bokrijder
  17. VIVID1

VIVID1 Ducatistanna

Oddometer:
    Just started to bake gluten free breads, some come out good, some not so much :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. noshoes

Oddometer:
    Definately not my first go with noknead. I've made a loaf weekly for most of the last year, (cept during summer). The sprouts are the first time I've used a fresh unroasted vegatable. Also first time I tried a quick soak of the veg, then used that water as the dough water. Also first time I added the veg into the flour. Before I've added, like roasted green chilis, or roasted garlic, during a later fold. Plan A, was I made the dough around 3 PM, put aside, then got up for work at 5 AM, the dough had expanded somewaht, so did a fold, and was gona be back by noon to toss in the oven. I didn't get back until almost 4, and the dough looked the same as it did after the 5 AM fold. No rise. The sides of the bowl didn't indicate a rise and collapse. Just no activity since the morning. But like I said, still tastes good. I'll chauk it up to experience.
  19. Bokrijder

Bokrijder Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer:
    Didn't mean to sound like an ass with my post but maybe did. I've switched pretty much 100% to low temp ferment/ rise. Couple of reasons - I like the flavor nuances achievable and we keep our home winter temperature at 62.
    Maybe others have worked with raw radish sprouts and have some insight, but wouldn't surprise me if there are compounds or enzymes which may not be dough friendly. Congratulations on experimenting, that's where it's at !!
    If radish isn't the culprit, I'd still lean towards timing. Maybe rise and fall of activity level would be a better choice of words than rise and collapse. Most of what I know about bread making has been through observation and experiment, what I see and try to put into words, may not match up with what you read and try to envision. I've definitely learned that wet pre-ferments have a sweet spot.
    Ha -- I partially pooched a 6 loaf batch of rustic, yesterday. Was kneading with a dough hook, dough was coming on point, got distracted - Damn, caught it as it was just beginning to break.
    Good luck !!

Bokrijder

20. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to uploading a pic of my no-knead first attempt. It's cute but not right.

[​IMG]