KTM 1190 ADV R Ultimate Tire Thread

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by coloktmGS, Jan 5, 2014.

1. nvdesertrat

nvdesertrat Nevada Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    +1 Im happy with my Heidi's. I did mount the front on backwards.

Note Anyone interested in my stock tires - Continental TrailAttack2's, PM me I have about 80 miles on them.
  2. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    Why backwards?

3. Harold Waikiki

Harold Waikiki oldfatdumbbrokeoutofshape

Oddometer:
    i'm doing the exact same thing this week! i put 350 miles on the trail attacks in the last 3 days--all street. i'll take it off road at the end of the week with the tkc/mitas e09 dakar and report back.
  4. Antuan

Antuan n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a 2013 ktm 1190 R with pirelli AT 90, in mud is quite similar to heidenau 60. Offroad are brear. Highway over 180km/h there are vibrations. ON road are quite nice.

In my last GS1200 i had tkc80, there were too much for offroad. In orden to use them at 100% you would break the bike before... ON top of that ON road is too risky with tck80. So heidenau and pirelli
    Are a nice compromise.

My problem is to find the setting for the suspension for offroad, if i fix sport settings i arrive to the limit immediately.

Any ideas? Thanks
  5. nvdesertrat

nvdesertrat Nevada Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Because the K60 Front has a problem with cupping/scaloping and getting noisy if you run it the way is says to. The Mefo super explorer has the front and rear tread pattern running the same way and the K60 has you running the patterns opposite.
  6. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I've learned something new today. :clap
  7. tedmarshall

tedmarshall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    coloktmgs: I was unaware Mitas offered a tubeless 09 front and rear for 21/18 wheel sets like our R 1190's.

I will be very interested in your report as I have been looking for an alternative to the TKC and Heidi offerings.

Ted
  8. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    I've got a set of Kenda Big Blocks that the new owner of my 990 didn't want. I plan to see if they seal on my 1190 R. People run them on BMW's which are tubeless.
  9. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    Ok, sorry for the naive question: but what IS the difference of tubeless vs tubed tires? I know the bm's have the spokes on the outside aspect of the rim, while the 1190 has them laced like a "normal" tubed tire. Waiting for the weather to clear so I can ride the 1190 R the local dealership has.:clap
  10. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    Not very much AFAIK. Perhaps softer rubber in the sealing portion of the bead. Tubeless wheels need to have a safety bead to keep a deflated tubeless tire on the rim. Dirt bike wheels, designed to run with tubes, generally do not have safety beads which makes tire changing easier. Larger adventure bikes have safety beads on the rear wheels (at least) for safety reasons. Tubeless wheels often require special tools to break the bead of the tire when changing tires.

Might be good for someone who knows the tire business to respond. I know very little. :D
  11. Todd-Squad

Todd-Squad See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer:

I have no official training on tires, but I do change my own tires both tubeless and tube type. Personally some of the toughest tires to change are dirt bike tires. I have a few different head breaking tools. They all work equally as well on both types of tires.
  12. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put a pair of those on my 950 and while the front was OK, the back didn't last a week.
  13. chief_lee_visceral

chief_lee_visceral Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So who has stock now on TKC 80 in 150/70r18 TL?
  14. youngblood

youngblood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I snagged one from Revzilla, but I'm really missing the D606 after a ride in the grease that is Georgia clay last weekend.
  15. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    The pair I will test were on my 990 for about 400 miles and were holding up quite well. I'll post results later.
  16. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    "'Not very much AFAIK.'"

What the heck is AFAIK???

I didn't mind the Kenda BB, however like mentioned didn't last long. Did read that there was supposed to be a new compound to assist in longevity, but like all tires I'm sure it depends on how hard you are on the throttle and riding style:D. But I haven't tried any other knobbies though so my experience is limited with them. I do however LOVE the Mefo SE and the longevity rocks, 8500+ miles:clap:freaky...

Would it be possible to use a sealant around the bead if you use a tubed tire on a tubeless rim? There was mention of special tools to break the bead on tubeless, however I have come across utube vids of guys breaking the beads on their bm's with the sidestand and changing the tire with "normal" tire levers...

Thoughts on those in the KNOW... Thanks!!

Cheers:freaky
  17. chief_lee_visceral

Oddometer:

Hmmm Revzilla was supposed to email me when they came in. The D606 is my favorite tire for DS riding as well but they just will not make anything bigger than 130 70. Going to Revzilla now.
  18. chief_lee_visceral

Oddometer:
    Revzilla still shows no stock but at least they put up the listing
  19. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:

As Far As I Know
  20. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Old Git

Oddometer:

According to the Pirelli rep, the Scorpion Rally TL for the 1190 R will be available in North America in about six months. Not much help right know, but it means there will be a another option to add to the ultimate tire thread for those who want more aggressive tire than the 21" TKC 80 in a tubeless. The tubeless 90/90 21 front is available outside of North America now but a 150/70 18 tubeless rear is not. I suspect that is why there will be a six month wait.

Too bad we can't get the front right away seeing as it's already made:dunno
    [​IMG]