Nfl 2013

Discussion in 'Sports' started by shrineclown, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I think new coach Andy Reid and new QB Alex Smith get the Chiefs to 8 wins this season. Maybe that's optimistic, but they have a lot of talent on both offense and defense.

I think they beat the Raiders twice and win at home against the Chargers, then they only have to win 5 games of 12 to get to .500. And if they have an easy schedule and win 6 or 7, then might win 10 games. Very optimistic... yes. But doable.
  2. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  3. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    A KC 2nd round pick this year and a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2014 seems like a cheap price for Smith. :deal

I'm not all that thrilled about it but I don't know if or what other teams were offering.
  4. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:

It seems the Niners are stacking picks...they don't need them with such a young team...so they must be intending to use them for a few key players to get them to the top of the hill.
  5. tkitna

tkitna "Jim Jordan 2024"

Oddometer:
    Kansas City Chiefs -- Home: Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants Away: Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Buffalo Bills, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins

The away schedule is better then the home. I'm seeing maybe a 7-9 season and thats being generous. You never know though.
  6. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Yeah, 7-9 is a likely outcome for the season. If they can't get the offense to hit on all cylinders, they might only win 5 or 6 games. But I'm going to stick with 8-8. I think Andy Reid will be energized with a new team, and I really think he can install an offense that Alex Smith will have some success with.

But you're right. You never know. It's easy for us to toss out predictions several months before the season even starts. It's probably just as likely they'll win 2 games, or 13 games. :D

(Well, okay, they ain't gonna win 13 games... )
  7. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    Jamal Charles.
  8. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    The kid is a beast. 1,500 yards rushing. Add Alex Smith and an efficient pass game, I think the Chiefs improve dramatically. When Smith was concussed out of last season, he had a 104 passer rating and a 70% completion percentage — that's pretty damned good.
  9. liquidsmile

liquidsmile Soon to be bored with the bike I am riding.

Oddometer:
    Falcons release John Abraham, Dunta Robinson, and Michael Turner.

We better be going after some pass rushers in this off season, and hopefully we can find an every down back somewhere in the draft.
  10. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    The draft looks solid for defensive players. As for running backs... not too many standouts, but maybe a diamond in the rough. Good scouting for the Falcons will be the key, but that can be said for any team.
  11. liquidsmile

liquidsmile Soon to be bored with the bike I am riding.

Oddometer:
    Abe might be back, they could just re-sign him after they see what deals he gets out on the free market. He was overpaid for his production though and he is getting old.

TD has completely turned this team around, and I trust he is going to make some good moves this off season.
  12. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    As we saw in the super bowl they still have a couple exploitable weaknesses that need to be addressed if they expect to reach the top. :deal

A true lock-down cornerback
    a #1 Wide receiver...still
    IMO a traditional tight end.
    Someone to replace the inconsistent Akers.

:deal
  13. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    They definitely need a new kicker.
  14. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be suprised to see Michael Turner picked up by the Falcons again.
  15. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    I really doubt it, mike. His legs are toast. Who knows what they'll do (including nothing at all, sticking with what they have) but as a local non-fan I'd like to see Steven Jackson. I reckon he may have a year or two left and his style fits Mike Smith's mentality.
  16. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    Steven Jackson would be a good fit. If they use him two downs. He is too long in the tooth to take 30 to 40+ ball handles a game anymore. He will do it until something breaks, bless his determination, but that is not the best use of him. I thought that young lad, whose name is escaping me at the moment, was supposed to be doing some heavy lifting there. Not much production so far.
  17. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    With their passing attack, especially if Tony Gonzalez comes back, no running back will ever get that many touches.
  18. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    What's the current dope on Tony? Last I heard, he was finished.
  19. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    It's like silly season in MotoGP. All kinds of rumors are flying.

I've always felt that Turner belonged on the Falcons so maybe that influences my thoughts on him ending up there. But Turner and Jackson have both been in the league the same amount of time. I'm not sure one is any fresher than the other. I'm not a good enough analyst to really differentiate their running styles to say which one has more potential in that offence. It would be nice to see Jackson on a team with some more success than the Rams though.

Saw an interview with Abraham. He was wearing Falcons gear. Said he was notified a day before the announcement.
  20. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    Last word on Tony, said maybe. They are trying to allure him back for one more year. He really put in a big effort this year, which at his age is hard on the body as most of us know from a much smaller scale. It is probably too early with the aches and pains probably still present. Maybe if they offer him a Strahan deal...staying in cardio shape and you can skip camp, he will come back. :D He waffled at the end of the season in an interview...so he has given them hope.

Comparing the two runners, I would give MT the edge on N/S running. SJ the edge on outlets and moving the field out. As Waxy said, in that offense, things are wide open so I think SJ would make the better fit at the moment.

I still say, every down will shorten his season. I know he has not enjoyed the same protection he would in Atlanta, but they are still big hits.