Vintage MX, vintage body and bike

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pvangel, Mar 24, 2011.

1. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    First race was +30(yrs old) vintage 80's (bike from 1980's) and I had Scott S in it on a cr 250 who is a former pro and a guy on a YZ 400 that kicked my butt but did beat everybody else in the moto of combined classes and came out with a 3-3 which I was very happy about. Here is moto 1,

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Iv0B-_lw37U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    2nd set of motos was the 125 GP wich is run with all 125 bikes and all skill levels, there were 20+ modern 125's 5 or 6 vintage 80's and a Evo bike or two so a gate of about 30 riders. I ended up with a 2-2 in my class and finished about top 10 overall in that class. The track was so rough in the 2nd moto that I just couldn't hold on anymore, after all day Saturday and this being my 6th moto of the day i was done at one point my hand slipped off the bars aproching a jump so I knew it was time to slow down and just finish the race.
  3. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I slept till 9:30 this morning which I haven't done since college and every muscle, bone, ligament, hurts in body (in a good way). The back of my legs are bleeding from being rubbed raw by my knee braces, I had to dump half a bottle of Gold Bond down my shorts last night to get rid of the monkey butt....What a perfect weekend!
    Might go riding on Wednesday if my legs stop bleeding?
  4. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Practice on Friday filming my friend Loyd,

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZSN3l1orxrI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. AfricaWim

AfricaWim Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Sweet race vid... :thumb
  6. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I feel like I was in a bar room brawl ....and lost...oy
  7. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Super seceret Ct. test facility with my friend Tom W on another YZ (167)

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HOAOIYytfqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Chasing my sons 15 yr old friend on a RMZ 250f who had just told me that 2 strokes sucked and he would never ride one, I asked him after how it felt to be passed by an old fat guy on a 2 stroke.....

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4Mtn3w-RWwQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  9. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
  10. Nate.Vincent

Nate.Vincent n00b

Oddometer:
    This post is awesome....

I raced MX and vintage MX with ACR in the early years. My father raced a old 1970 BSA 441 single #52b and I had a Can am MX125 #498. Actually I was one of the reasons that ACR started the 125 junior class (I still remember writing a letter to Tom France). During this time I also raced modern MX in Nema and NESC. I continued racing Modern until I was 18 or 19 then ended up quitting because to be competitive you had to spend 30K a year. I sold all the bikes and moved on. Now a 8 years later (I'm 26 and married) I bought a supermoto for around town and it's tons of fun but it has ignited my need for competition.

I have seriously been considering getting a EVO 125 or 250 and racing with ACR again. When I think back of the years I raced I always have fonder memories with ACR than any other organization. Everyone is much friendlier and you don't get the "my stuff is better than yours" attitude that you get in modern MX. You start with 20 peoples rather than 46 after qualifying for that spot.

I'm young just bought a house and don't have a ton of money but with vintage MX I could afford to race 5-6 week ends a year.

I guess I better find a bike and dig out some of my old gear.

Thanks for the inspiration....
  11. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I was hoping to inspire by writing about my racing, am glad i did!

ACR is the best racing series on the east coast, we ride all the best tracks and everybody is a gentleman racer. No mini dads protesting, actually I have never seen anybody protest anything at an ACR event. After racing district 34 for a few years when I came back to the sport I really wasn't into it as much as I am now because of the caliber of racing and racers involved.
    Last year at Binghamton when of my main competiters in the points broke his rear brake lever and told me he was out of the second moto (he beat me in the first). So I went to the owner of the track,Tom Hurd who is one of the nicest guys in MX and asked him if he had a welder which of course he did and sent us to a barn in the corner of the property where I found a old stick welder plugged in and ready to weld. So we welded up the brake arm so my friend could race the second moto and lose to me fairly....:wink: Anybody at an ACR race would do this in a second for any other racer, thats why I race this series.
  12. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Go Pro fun....

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/POAMi5FuMAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. Victor52

Victor52 Taciturn

Oddometer:
    I agree, ACR is the finest group of racers around. If I keep reading this thread even I might have to try it again.
  14. Victor52

Victor52 Taciturn

Oddometer:
    ...Oh, and nice Southwick video, but couldn't you hold the camera still? :D
  15. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Here are some shots from Southwick by Vintage54.com photos.

Pete,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    The old guy,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
  18. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    What neck brace is that???
  19. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    EVS neck brace, in alot of ways it is nicer than the Leatt because there is much more surface on the shoulders to spread the load of a impact. Plus it is $175 versus about $ 300+ for the Leatt.
  20. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    thanks.