Should i trade my SMR for an ADV model?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by lukeinlondon, Oct 9, 2012.

1. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon LC GSA/Helix

Oddometer:
    I feel really torn. I have a 07 950SMR with 5k miles (i put it in the classifieds to see what feedback i would get)
    I moved to LA Xmas of last year having spent the last 10 years only riding in London (city riding)
    I got introduced to Malibu Canyons in January (when i had a Bonneville- dont ask) I sold the Triumph and bought the 950fully stock, since then i have put a couple of grand into exhausts, seat, etc..and i may put more money into other after market things i have..

Here is the issue though

I REALLY don't care for the lack of fairings
    I REALLY would like something that can go off road as well
    2 UP is really not comfortable for my gf on the SM

I could not have known these things when i moved here, however as i have been riding the last year I am getting a feel for what sort of riding I would like to get into out here and what riding is possible. (I didn't have the options to do this in London)

I would like to do longer trips (which i struggle to do on the SM)
    I would like to go offroad (not hardcore but be able to mix it up)
    I would still like to go to the Canyons

The idea of simply having the big windscreen blocking the wind from pushing me back seems awesome, then having the crash bars to attach aux lights and do more..adventure riding seems great..cause i feel like i am trying to turn my SMR into an ADV now and that seems futile and expensive

I hear the carb'ed ADV models are better than the Fi which seems to be a trend of thought. So i really think I could make the swap pretty easy..

What are your experienced thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    You're right in that you don't need crash bars and lights to go off road and turning your SM into an off road bike would be futile, however, you can ride that bike you have anywhere you want to. I did. In fact, I rode my SM into and out of more gnarly places than I ever did my Adventure. Go figure!
    Just ride it and let experience be your guide.
  3. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    hmm experience is guiding me towards a 2006 ADV S model...
  4. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Then there's your answer. Life is short, you want an Adventure...Go For It!

You will NOT regret it - I promise!
  5. GrenDesb

GrenDesb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read what you say and I think:

Get an ADV. :clap

Or at least test drive one to confirm your thoughts. :deal
  6. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Buy a Super Enduro and get the best of both worlds. Speaking from one who sold the Adventure to get the SE.
  7. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    good call on the test drive
  8. GrenDesb

Oddometer:
    How is travelling two up on an SE ?
  9. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    How far do you want to travel? Me and my wife have done a few 400 mile weekends but nothing more. Its not the best but it's ok. Most of the time I am solo on the bike and BOY DOES IT BRING SMILES!!!
  10. CRW

CRW I dont want a pickle

Oddometer:
    funny i kinda feel the opposite of you....... keep thinking the sm might of been the way to go, but do love my ADV:1drink:1drink:1drink:1drink

look me up if you get serious!!!!!!
  11. GrenDesb

Oddometer:
    I wont change my ADV, I was just curious.

We can do 400 miles days two up without much problems. We did 5500km in a week and a half this summer, Trans Labrador, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, really nice trip. My ass was tired before her's.

But the SE should sure be nicer in the rough stuff.
  12. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Yep the Adventure is much nicer two up for sure.
  13. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    PM'ed you
  14. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    My friend has a 950SM that I've ridden a few times and I've got a 950 adventure. We both want each others bike.

You can't have just one. You get rid of the SM you'll regret the phenomal brakes and just amazing handling of the SM but you don't get to really enjoy the dirt.

I mean don't get me wrong the 950 adv doesn't give up much on the pavement to the SM but it does give up some. He rides a little faster mostly because it's just not smart to push super hard on the street on road with his bike but I ride a decent ammount faster off-road because it doesn't feel like the front wants to knife under all the time. Although on a race track the SM would crush the adv.
  15. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    +1 to what he said! ^^^

Point being, until the 1190ADV with 19/17 wheels is in a dealer near you, there wont be a best of both worlds. The more I look at that new design, the more I see a way to get the kind of two world performance you are looking for.
  16. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    The SE is identical to your SMR in seat/tank/ergos for both you and passenger. Spend another $50 and add a SD Touring screen to the headlight shell. It makes all the difference. I still have my SE after selling my SMR, without the little screen you feel everything. The Adv is not as good on road as the SMR and the only thing it does better than a SE IMO is carry 2 up.

I used SS bolts to add the screen. Simple task, 4 holes IIRC. Or add yourself to the list of riders who hate the Adv screen and can't find a solution to the buffeting! :lol3

I found a "tall" flat Renazco really helps the comfort for both you and passenger, and tell them you are concerned about passenger comfort, I bet they have a few tricks for that too. If you think a tall, flat seat will make the bike too tall, forget the Adv or SE too!

And, add a shield to the downpipe exhaust if you want to explore a bit, easily dented.
  17. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    have you ridden an SMR desmogged w/ aftermarket exhausts? I haven't ridden an ADV yet so maybe we can meet up in Socal and go for a ride on each others bikes..(how to say that without sounding .:wink:..)
  18. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    im confused so are you advocating the SE or the ADV? The SE isn't an option for me as I want to be able to do highway riding as well as dirt tracks..I am happy to compromise with twisties to gain highway staying power and the ability to take fire tracks
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sayin the SE is identical to the SMR as far as ergos and a passenger. No difference, no better.

The Adv is a far better 2 up bike but gives up alot on the street to the SMR for some dirt abilities.

I recommend you add the SD touring screen to your SMR and ride it a bit. The Adv has a windshield but almost all agree it sucks.
  20. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    yes..i actually have a 690T screen sitting at home. I think the bike market is quite bad at the moment so i may end up riding it till i sell it in which case i will fit the screen. I generally like to stop riding a bike when i have decided to sell it, part superstition part dunno

i gotta be interested in the gs model as well but they seem to be about $5k more than the same year ADV model