Electric

Discussion in 'Trials' started by toro618, Jul 18, 2012.

1. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am looking for advice on electric trials bike for an adult weighing 155 lbs. Is there anything out there reasonbly reliable to play in a backyard or small offroad area?

Thanks for any input.
  2. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. S H I F T Y

S H I F T Y Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what is the deal with this thing? Coming to the states?
  4. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want one too.
  5. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Yeah, well we were supposed to have cities in space, and flying cars by now...
  6. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll accept an electric trials bike as a condolence :deal
  7. dbeck

dbeck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How about the KTM Freeride E. Not available in the US but where there is a will there is a way.
  8. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I want my fu.....king jet pack!!!
  9. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    eco-trials.
    My friend Paul made one, has been competing on it for several years.
    is a real nice guy. just sold a GAS GAS 200 to another guy that is going to make himself one too.
    at this time battery prices make it very hard to afford.
  10. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:

Fer crying out loud!!!!

make them out of anything but 200's (or 125's) for crying out loud, the 125's and 200's are rare, but we have kids (and some women everywhere) that need these bikes like they are, sheesh. :lol3
  11. Idahoer

Idahoer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Austria December 2012 I saw a factory electric Gas Gas working obstacles for a few hours while we gassers were punting around, and the kid riding it was better than all of us. Maybe the time is limited by the battery, but he did not appear to run low. The battery and engine were a nice small package and the bike was said to weigh around 125 pounds. Maybe the power is described as comparable to a 125, but I saw it blast nicely up verticals where it would take a lot of effort on a 125. I want one of these if they ever come to the U.S., but would be afraid of a homemade one.
    They creep up on you without the sound of an engine. If your bike is running, you will never hear an electric approaching.
  12. Jonny042

Jonny042 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.electricmotioncanada.ca/

Bob has 'em (or I should say plans on getting them) - but they arent cheap at $9500.00. One attractive feature on the EM is the electronic clutch. I would think if you've built up years of reflexes to stop forward progress with your left finger it might be tough to get used to winding off the throttle (especially if you are hanging off the back of the bike at the top of a big step or something....)

Gas Gas has an electric too, via a partenership with ETA motors, http://www.eta-motors.com/verkauf-conversion-kit/

And, again, a conversion kit is 6195 euros - much more than a new gasser. The Gas Gas importer has a bike, but I have never talked to anyone who has tried it out. The gas gas spain website has the txt-e on thier website listed as "coming soon".

So, to summarize, until the prices drop to a level at or below that of a gas powered bike, and the performance of them is proven, they are going to be a tough sell.
  13. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    That EM bike looks pretty nice actually. I watched some of the videos, seems to make good power.

But I agree, until the prices get into a range where "normal" folks can afford them I don't think they can ever seriously be considered an option for replacing gas bikes. Just like with electric and hybrid cars, they are often priced out the budgets of many people.