How to get proof of ownership for a bike w/no title

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by D0N, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ProBassFromPA

ProBassFromPA n00b

Oddometer:
    The plate came 2 days later on 06-24-13!

Had her on the road for maybe 5 minutes and the clutch cable broke! Ordered a cable from Moto Italia and it arrived that Saturday 06-29.

Got in a much longer ride with the new clutch cable including getting her up to highway speed which was very different feeling than the big twin shovelhead I'm used to!

Got close to home and she started to die on me. I thought I was low on gas and switched to reserve and that seemed to be it. Went and filled the tank and rode a little more and she started to die again.

I'll start simple with the filters on either end of the fuel line. On my way to get some Berryman B-12 Chemtool at the auto parts store.

[​IMG]
  2. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    Got my decal and receipt today. I am GTG!
  3. floyd76

floyd76 n00b

Oddometer:
    i got my tag and registration in the mail. i went to dnv to day
    to transfer it to arkansas. dmv lady told me the cc was over 300
    and the place on the registration it says title it says issued.
    has anyone have this problem
  4. cool_sam

cool_sam n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I have a scooter which I bought it at an auction but I lost my paperwork which came with it.

Where do I need to send the VT paperwork to? Which DMV as there are several listed on the website?

Please let me know ASAP! Thank you soo much!
  5. TSACaptain

TSACaptain n00b

Oddometer:
  6. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    120 State St Montpelier, VT 05603
  7. headhunter14

headhunter14 n00b

Oddometer:
    one question, has anyone tried this in texas? The dmv here are rediculous and they will question anything that looks out of line. The scooter i have is less than 300ccs, no issues were found with the vin it just has a missing title. I filled out all the proper paper work to send to VT according to this thread. Im just wondering what they would say when i bring in VT tags and plate but when they check the last owner of the VIN it will say the previous owner was located in a city in texas.
  8. EvoLife

EvoLife Evolving.....Slowly

Oddometer:
    It will say the last owner was you, with your Texas address, and a Vermont registration. I assume you can still prove you are the legal owner? You have to provide something to VT showing you purchased the vehicle legally and it's not stolen. Once you have a VT registration, Texas DMV will issue you a title against it.
  9. headhunter14

headhunter14 n00b

Oddometer:
    no the bike isn't stolen but the previous ownwer lost the title. I got a bill o sale and sent it all to VT. im just wondering if the dmv does a vin search the search will say registered in 2011 in texas, which is what car fax says, then registered in vt under my name, then try to get a tx registration a few months down the line. Do you think it may raise some eye brows? especially if I don't have a title?
  10. EvoLife

EvoLife Evolving.....Slowly

Oddometer:
    You sent the supporting documentation to VT proving that you are the legal owner of the vehicle (and you must be! You can't do this to get a title for a stolen vehicle).
    VT allows out of state residents to register a vehicle in VT.
    Your vehicle is not issued a title in VT because of their requirements of age or displacement.
    VT issues you a transferable registration for the vehicle in place of a title and mails it to you in TX where the vehicle is and you reside (perfectly normal in their eyes and not an oversight).
    Because the vehicle has a VT transferable registration which acts as proof of ownership for your vehicle according to VT law due to the age and/or displacement, TX will and must accept it and issue an equal proof of ownership. In TX that may be a title. TX can't tell you legal proof of ownership issued by the state of VT does not constitute legal proof of ownership in TX.

Conversely, If you move to VT and hand them a TX title for your scoot, they will not issue you a VT title; they'll give you a transferable registration, because titles don't get issued for your scoot in VT because of the age and/or displacement.

It's weird, tricky, and doesn't make sense, just like every state's DMV or MVC.
  11. cool_sam

cool_sam n00b

Oddometer:
    I have sent the documents to Springfield DMV.

150cc prego scooter, I bought new in Ny and lost the title.
    Sent the following documents:
    DMV Registration form.
    bill of sale.
    VIN pictures
    $88 - registration
    $33 - title
    $45 - tax

Is that a problem? Hope this works. :norton
  12. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    I really have no idea. I downloaded the application from the VT DMV website, and the Montpelier address was on the app. Let us know how it goes. Maybe it will go through smoothly, but they might send it back to you.
  13. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm not sure the VIN pictures will work. They really want some one of authority to check that in person and fill out the form or write it up on some letter head.
  14. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just mailed off my forms and fees for my '84 XL250R, hoping this works!

I had given up being able to get this thing titled and licensed in Oregon. Before submitting to Vermont, I did call Oregon DMV information line and inquired about registering and titling a Vermont bike, 250cc, registration only, from a state that does not issue title for <300cc bikes. The Oregon DMV guy put me on hold to go check the manual, and came back telling me all it would take was to bring bike in with VT registration for vehicle inspection, and pay the Title/Registration/Plate/Inspection fees of $144 and I would be on my way with Oregon title and plates!

Will re-post with updates for doing this in Oregon.

My XL needs turn signals and license plate holder, guess its time to order those!
  15. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    VIN verification isn't required for any bike under 300cc.
  16. floyd76

floyd76 n00b

Oddometer:
    i went to a different dmv to have it transfer.
    she talk to someone on the phone about ten minutes
    and then she said no problem. she gave me my tags and
    registration. the first dmv lady did not know what she
    was doing. thanks to everybody on this website.
    vermont root worked for me.
  17. Yamarocket630

Yamarocket630 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has been answered already as I didn't read the whole thread, but has anyone tried this for transferring to a TN title and did you have any issues?
  18. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Success!

Got my plate in the mail on Monday, took about 10 days round-trip. Next is the permanent registration and tag, should be any day now based on others experience.

I'm am still gathering the rest of the pieces needed (turn signals, license plate holder, etc) to finish the project on my end before taking into Oregon DMV. Will update once i get to that point.
  19. Brobbins87

Brobbins87 n00b

Oddometer:
    Here is a question for everyone. I'm in New York State (I know time to find a new state to live in, lol) and today I acquired a 1985 Honda Shadow 700 with no title. I checked the Vin online and it came back clean. Now I believe I can register the bike in Vermont because it's over 15 years old but because it's over 500cc a VIN verification is required. Here is my problem, where in NYS can I get a Vin verification done. The state police no longer do the verifications or so I have been told by my local barracks. I don't want to try and have a NY DMV official do the verrification because they may catch on to what I am trying to do and report it to local law enforcement because technically it is illegal in the NYS to sell a vehicle without a title and the whole Vermont deal is basically a legal way of title washing. NYS also says that it's illegal for a NYS resident to own a vehicle that is titled out of state unless the registered owner also has an address in the state in which the title is issued. So where do I turn next? Hauling the bike all the way to Vermont is not really an option because it's hundreds of miles away from me. Can anyone help me out?
  20. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    can you get VIN verified by an inspection station ? or local PD ?