Harley XR1200

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by GS Bones, Aug 14, 2009.

1. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

YES. Instead of lowering the pegs, build the seat up and put 2" Bar risers on it. :deal
  2. Red eyed and Rollin

Red eyed and Rollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The main problem is that I am fairly upside down in the bagger. I am goin to a stealership today where they have two on the floor. One of them with the VH exhaust and a race tail. Maybe they would giive me a little play if I ordered a NEW XR 1200X? I love the look of the bike and its simplicity.
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buying one they have on the floor is going to get you a better deal. Nothing has change between the 2011 and 2012 models. Even the Colors stayed the same.
  4. rudolf35

rudolf35 Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer:
    The rack on my XR is a Ventura rack. Works like a charm; use the tall rack with a gas can mount vertical or horizontal depending on my load out.
    :deal
  5. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    Excellent! That's the system I'm thinking about buying.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely agree with that. They will be motivated to sell what they own. The V & H's and race tail are very desirable for me. You should ask for the original exhaust system and factory take off parts too. I just have to say that the Vance and Hines with the V & H fuel pak is a perfect combination on my bike.
    Barry
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love the Ventura rack system. I had one on another bike and it just works. I do wish they made their bags waterproof though. Can you tell me more about the 38 tooth primary setup? I'm curious how much it cost and degree of difficulty to install. I turn about 4k at 70 mph. How much difference in rpm did it make for you? Thanks, Barry
  8. rudolf35

rudolf35 Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer:
    I do not use the Ventura bags so I can not comment. I use various tried and true Chase Harper bags.

The 38 tooth primary conversion is easy. It is around $100 and is a hours worth of work. I droped around 500 rpms but the main gain is more top end with very little bottom end loss. The conversion is called "Scottie's mod" and you can read about it at

http://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com/site/showthread.php?7278-***-Scotty-MOD-with-Pictures-***

It feels like my XR gained a 6th great. Besides the interstate I rode the whole ride in 4th without any issues or to high of rpms. Best farkle I made on the XR!
    :clap
  9. Crilly

Crilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    :norton The stock engine sprocket on the XR is a 34 tooth. So, 38 divided by 34 equals 1.117. 4500 RPM would drop to about 4028 RPM. Of coarse, you also loose about 12 percent torque at the rear wheel. When I first bought an XB1200S, the first thing I did was to put a 34 tooth sprocket in. The 900's came with a 34. (as does the 883's). Oh, and I donot want less power.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I'm thinking this is a must do for me. I bet the front tire will still catch some nice air after.
    Barry
  11. Crilly

Crilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    :norton Will I finely got a sumgmug account. I have my XR set up for touring. Took it to the Dragon at the end of Sept. I have a Rostra cruise control on it. You Tiger owners should recognize the bags.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now if I can figure out the automatic way to post pictures.
  12. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    Neat!

(just click the image box (looks like a mountain and sun) and plug in the URL of your image...no "URL" tag needed)
  13. Crilly

Crilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Photog Thanks
  14. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I gotta stop looking in some of these threads. I decided to spend this winter working in the bush in Northern Alberta so I could make enough dough to pay some bills. Not buy another motorcycle. Which I could do already...hmmmm...sheeesh. :1drink
  15. yellowjam

yellowjam yellowjam

Oddometer:
    Hello Crilly,
    you've got the luggage bag mod i would like to to this winter. It looks great. Did you do build the mod yourself or is it a bolt on system? Do you have some more detail pictures, please?
    Thank you.
  16. Glenngineer

Glenngineer Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer:
    I want one of these, but I sat on one this weekend and did some research...its heavier, and has less top end than the Strom, and is less comfortable. Torque peaks at about the same place, but torque delivers across the rev range better on the XR, and it looks better, but I just can't get behind spending a lot of cash to trade down is so many dimensions.

A Griso, on the other hand....
  17. Crilly

Crilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    :norton I used to own a fab shop. I had them make up a couple of brackets out of sheet metal. Cut and welded the tube frame that came with the set. I well try to get some more pics and post them in a few days.

Now I live with in 20 Miles of H-D, and I am 63 years old, so take with a grain of salt. The XR is fast becoming my favorite bike. It could be the PR3, the big wind screen, the low gearing, quick throttle response, the howlin of the intake and exhaust (Stock), or it is sort of one of a kind. At 5'3" tall the seat does not bother me because all seats for my size are uncomfortable. I just stand up every l5 minutes or so for about 30 seconds. I have a bigger screen ordered for the R1200GS and the R1200R so we will see.
  18. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you sat on one and read some numbers did you. :lol3 :norton

Ride one.

XR1200X = :ricky

Strom = :snore
  19. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had an XR for 2 yrs and 24k, I wouldn't discount it so quickly, it's a wicked fun bike to ride. I had an R1100S and an R1150GS before it, and am currently on the Tiger 800. In terms of performance - and practically any measure of it - any of these three would leave the XR for dead, but "fun" is not always equivalent to speed or performance.

The XR is plenty fast for spirited, but sane, street riding paces. I actually bought mine to slow down without trading away any fun, and it did not disappoint in that regard. I really, really loved how that motor put power down through the twisties... more so than the BMWs or Triumph.

And odd as it may seem for such a lowly performer, that Harley ripped the shit of tires like no other. And a first for me - in 35 yrs of riding - six sets of tires, all worn out on the sides before the centers. I'm now back to my normal flat spotting of rear tires with the Tiger.

Ultimately, though, quality and reliability issues with the HD did me in - I was near lemon lawing my bike more than once. After the 2yr warranty was up.... I was out, and never to return.
  20. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    I owned a Buell M2 for 11 years and a lot of the later buells did what the XR does a lot better and easier to live with (more fuel, more HP, lighter, cheaper). Looks are relative, of course. Having owned a sporty version of the sporty would get you re-thinking owning one. It's a fantastic motor.

The Griso is another bike that doesn't make sense on paper, but it really does make sense when you ride one. I don't know if I could take the $$ hit of a new Griso, but I did feed my itch with a used one. It was really worth it. I sold a brand new Buell 1125 on closeout for nearly even up on the 2007 Griso and never thought twice about it. The bike is just fun, rare, and turns heads. Sounds pretty good with a Mistral pipe as well.