Grand Junction area Rides & Riders thread

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Greg@RME, Sep 11, 2009.

1. cycleking650

cycleking650 KLR 650

Oddometer:
    Hey is anyone up for riding for a few hours out at Rabbit valley on Saterday morning if so pm me and we can go from ther
  2. Greg@RME

Greg@RME Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If nobody wants to join me for the Fruita desert this weekend, I would be game for RV. What are you riding, looks like you own a KLR?
  3. cycleking650

cycleking650 KLR 650

Oddometer:
    Yea I ride a 2013 KLR great bike and for a big bike its easy to ride
  4. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Perfect, I could ride my 690 and be on a similar bike. There is plenty of riding out there for the bigger bikes.... hopefully its somewhat dryer, we will have to keep an eye on the weather... its not fun in the mud out there.
  5. cycleking650

cycleking650 KLR 650

Oddometer:
    Oh I'm sure I've ridden in the mud and you get tired fast trying to keep the bike up but it looks like its going to move out by Friday morning so we might find a few mud puddles and at least the dust will be at a minimum
  6. Conradkills1997

Conradkills1997 95 250sx

Oddometer:
    If anyone would want to trade a 2 stroke for a street legal 4 stroke please message me
  7. cycleking650

cycleking650 KLR 650

Oddometer:
    Hey Advriders I'm open for a ride on sat if anyone is interested. I don't have any place specific to go so if your open for Saterday and would like to take a ride and have any suggestions just send me private message. I ride a klr 650 and would like to stay to off road as much as possible and I'm out of fruita
  8. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I'm headed out of town for NPLD this weekend.
  9. shiryas

shiryas Dragon with matches

Oddometer:
    Cycleking, I'm interested in a ride on Saturday with my 640A.

What and where did you have in mind?

Cheers, Chris
  10. cycleking650

cycleking650 KLR 650

Oddometer:
    Me and the wife are riding 2up down to moab from fruita Saterday to get some lunch so if anyone is up for a ride and lunch on Saterday let me know and we can meet up
  11. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Vonski, Sam, Lev and I rode Rabbit Valley on Thursday... Lev is Canadian, Sam lives in Washington State and they came a long way to ride, regardless of the weather! It was cold & raining, but we geared up and headed out! Von was running a little late and said he'd meet up with us in the afternoon.

We started with Trail #8 and it was amazing, the sand on the trail which is normally a PITA, was incredible... all the traction you wanted! Some parts of the roads that were well packed were quite slippy, lots of Bentonite in Rabbit Valley. The washes were flowing water and we ran across several waterfalls of varying amounts of water. The trail itself wasn't slippery at all, due to the amount of sand on the ground. It was some great riding!

We moved on to the Western Rim trail and rode it across the Utah border... then decided to head back to the parking lot close to 1 PM. On the way back we came across one of the roads down in a canyon that was flowing about 8-10" of fast moving water. We could have taken the more-dry ATV trail back, but opted for the fun watery road! At one point while hauling ass up the road/river, I was able to get my front tire to hydroplane! It was crazy how much water was moving down the road, it was impressive!

Von showed up around 1:30 and magically the clouds opened up and even the sun came out! He must be a good luck charm! Von unloaded, geared up and we headed out again... this time the dirt was perfectly tacky, not slippery at all! We rode the Western Rim trail again, planning on riding the far West end of Rabbit Valley and working our way over to the Zion Curtain trail. Once we finished the Rim, we came across a large wash that was running fast & deep! We discussed attempting to ride it, but decided it wouldn't be smart. We headed to another crossing which was wider and found (using a stick) that the water was deeper than the seats of our bikes, and the stick STILL hadn't hit the bottom!

We rode the Rim trail back to the trucks as it started to rain again and were talking about making another ride on Trail #8, but the skies opened up and it started pouring. We were soaked and hungry, so we called it a night and headed for some good Mexican food in Fruita! After dinner, the other guys headed back to Green River for another day of riding and I went home, seeking a hot shower and my bed... it was an exhausting day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! Just moved this area in July and have been riding the mtns mostly. Would love to ride with you guys up there, looks like a blast! When are you going out again?
  13. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    I'm free Fri, Sat & Sundays... :evil Don't have any plans for another ride, but I'd be willing to make some plans if you want to ride!
  14. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Have a few chores I need to take care of tomorrow. How's Sunday sound?
  15. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    I can make Sunday work... what time? Rabbit Valley?
  16. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    I didn't have my GoPro on, but Sam did! Here's his video from the rainy, wet ride at Rabbit Valley... it gets REAL interesting over half way in... :eek1

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iY1gwFuXez0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>
  17. GJMark

GJMark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great post! Makes me cold just thinking about it! Thanks for sharing
  18. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    If you get cold your not riding hard enough!!
  19. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Message sent.
  20. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Went out riding yesterday, ended up with a few very different kind of rides!

The microphone on my GoPro quit working, so rather than no sound, I added music to the vids... it's hard music and there's swearing, so turn the volume down or deal with it. :nod As usual, watch in HD!

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EpnnrB6ncXM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Wwz7vmLgwBc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YCo6jrfpByI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>