950 Supermoto Chronicles

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wpbarlow, Jul 20, 2006.

1. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have found that KTM & SWMotech accessories are worth the $ when it comes to your " dream bike".
    The best mod is the Seat Concepts seat . . . Really makes a difference on long rides.
    Where is a good place to refresh tank decals?

[​IMG]

Looks like a Stealth Fighter from the front:

[​IMG]

Just add wings:

[​IMG]
  2. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe.

But it sure isn't invisible to radar.

DAMHIK :lol3
  3. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mcmann your probably right about the price of modifications haha.

One thing, regarding the seat. Now I bought my bike used and Im assuming it has the stock seat. i dont find it that bad on long trips. I find that I usually need to get off of the bike to fuel up before any butt soreness occurs.

Maybe i just need a bigger tank? haha
  4. Thumper996

Thumper996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well finally got time to check valve clearences and all are okay except two that are barely out of tolerence range so i am buttoning her back up as is.

Intake range .10mm- .15mm
    Exhaust range .25mm - .30mm

Front cylinder:

Exhaust
    .279mm | .279mm
    ----------------------
    .127mm | .127mm
    Intake

Rear cylinder:

Intake
    .127mm | .170mm
    ----------------------
    .305mm |.279mm
    Exhaust

5. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Can you kindly tell me where is this location of 489 curves and rute 421 is?...Looks like motorcycle haven.

Thanks
  6. Thumper996

Oddometer:

here ya go

http://www.421thesnake.com/
  7. BuckMoto

BuckMoto Adventure Napping

Oddometer:
    eSONG that looked like a great time! I noticed you had a GoPro on your bike. Have you posted any videos or would the footage incriminate you? :lol3
  8. nattyMo

nattyMo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pics!

I'm down in NC right now, just off of 421. If the weather is decent when I head back to Bmore I may have to take a drive out to Bristol and then north.

Quick warning about Virgina. Anything over 80mph is considered Reckless Driving. Meaning the penalty for going 10mph over the 70mph speed limit on I-81 is about the same as getting a DUI. 6 points, Up to a $2500 fine or jail time depending on how the judge feels and so on... It's ugly.

Thus if you have to cross VA to get to the SNAKE be very careful of your speed.
  9. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    A little add on to Walters post -

90 is the other magic number in VA. Not only is it reckless, but you can get one night in jail for each and every mile over 90 - as in 95mph is good for 5 nights in jail.
  10. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    I am duuuue! for a valve check. I hope I find similar dimensions to calculate... With my luck and gasfist, it'll be time for kibblewhites and hardened seats! Wish the best, fellas, as this must happen before my FCR dyno tests can give true results.

edit to add:
    There is a whole 2006 950SM part out, on ebay right now. There are many many good parts for sale. Don't miss a chance to get that one backup item you need at a good price. I bid on the gel seat, but can't swing an honest price. There are forks, frame, motor, fuel and oil tanks, radiator, wire harness, carbs, swinger, etc! Seller is imperialsportbikes2

Hmm, this guy must have a dirt appetite too!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-Marches...9847&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
    [​IMG]

Luckily he can replace it today for only $421!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-Supermo...7804&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
    [​IMG]
  11. SONG

SONG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yup, that's the one. it is bad ass, and there's an awesome motorcycle shop / diner / gas station at the end of it. rest up, eat, drink...then repeat route 421 pretty much the rest of the day. there's hardly any traffic on that road (cars and other riders)..at least when we rode through, unlike deal's gap.

haha, maybe. i've used it mostly on the repeating photo setting. i think it's one photo every couple seconds. i'd turn it on when approaching some nice stretches of road. for video, i'd mount it on my helmet, which turned out nice, but for very long rides, the wind resistance made my neck a little stiff. since then i've noticed i liked better taking photos with my small point and shoot with my left hand while riding since i can change up the angles and put it away when i'm done. i do slow down a little when i've got the camera in my hand, and if i happen to fall behind a little, it's always fun to *catch up*. :D looking through the thousands of gopro photos was too much work.

Yes, VA is terrible for riders and police. i think i have more tickets from VA than any other state. It's amazing the number of police cruisers we'd see going into some small towns...almost like they outnumbered the number of camrys or accords you'd see on your daily drives! insane. We always slow down on and limit as much as possible use of local highway type roads, and stay on twisty mountain backroads as much as possible. we usually use Route 16 through hungry mother state park area to cross over from WV to NC.
  12. preppypyro

Oddometer:
    That fella on Ebay definatly wants a decent dollar for his parts doesnt he!
  13. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    He is pricy, but its fleabay. He'd probably rather sell than sit on a "valuable" part. I always hit sellers up with offers, even if there is no "best offer" button.

I am still looking for a ADV swing arm to test, so I am looking at fleabay once a week. Ken, H2W and I have talked about doing a swinger swap, but I haven't gotten my bike up there to do it...
  14. preppypyro

Oddometer:
    Interesting, ive been keeping my eye open for a swingarm from an ADV as well.

I figure I have two options for my rear tire. Find a narrower rim, shim it properly and run another 17, or get an adv swingarm and rear rim and run a 18 inch rear.

Damn spoked narrower 17 inch rims are not cheap though!
  15. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was able to find an Adventure swing arm:

[​IMG]
  16. preppypyro

Oddometer:
    Came with the rest of the bike attached, nice! haha
  17. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. mrdirtbikerider

mrdirtbikerider Russ Martin

Oddometer:
    I pulled my carbs off to install my new Advmachines carb kit and found that my carbs were Full of a white chalky substance. I can't believe this bike would even start. I started looking at some older post and found that its from the gas tank. I seen little white specs inside the gas tank when looking thru opening.
    I don't want to use any harsh chemicals that might harm the plastic. I have some Seafoam but not sure if it would work.
    Any ideas on a good way to clean the tank?
  19. cnw126

cnw126 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I also noticed this white residue near my carbs while my bike was recently disassembled. From what you have written yours seems to be worse than mine. I had the residue all around the intake and velocity stacks near the carbs but it was not so severe that I think it would be a problem with the bike running.

On a more positive note, I did my first valve adjustment and water pump replacement. Everything seems fine on start up but I have not ridden the bike yet. I did the repairs as per the HOW instructions. At 9000 miles the water pump shaft seemed in pretty good shape with only a very minor groove in the trouble area. I replaced the shaft with the part from dual sport warehouse. For the valves, I had to replace/change 6 of the 8 shims. All tolerances were on the tight side except for the front exhaust which measured 0.28 and 0.29. I replaced the other 6 with the HD v-rod shims and went to the loose end of the tolerance.
  20. Thumper996

Oddometer:

I have mine apart now for winter maintenance and there is zero white residue. I wonder if it is a by-product of your local fuel. We have non-ethanol here that i run when i can, but i also run fuel with up to 10% ethanol