Gold Point / Death Valley October Rally

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by jrozar, Jun 21, 2013.

1. stoke

stoke ocean minded

Oddometer:
    How's the temps that time of year?

Really thinking about this one, looks like an awesome opportunity to check out DV during the day and relax at night...
  2. Suzuki Phil

Suzuki Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suzuki wife thought this was over T-day week so she's having second thoughts but not me. Looks like great riding.

SP
  3. stoke

stoke ocean minded

Oddometer:
    Shooby and I are splitting a cabin.

This looks to be the perfect setup: great food to just sit down and eat after a long day's riding, noob (that's me) to expert riding available all day, a bar, and for those of us that unfortunately have to when they're out of town, free wifi so I can check work emails/vm's.

I'll be a on a Vstrom with stock tires, not knobbies. Same bike I combat commute on daily, which probably saved me over an hour yesterday in summer coastal traffic from Solana Beach to La Jolla.

How many other "beasts" are going to be out there? I"ve only been riding a "real" motorcycle for a year, cmon other noobs, join me out there!

Always wanted to see Death Valley via motorcycle, what a great opportunity.

Shooby, thanks for setting up the accommodations!
  4. last in line

last in line “No matter where you go, there you are” Supporter

Oddometer:
    stoke, I'll take that challenge. Count on more more noobie at the party. :lol3 DV has been on my hit list since I started riding the 'strom. Plan on tenting it hope the weather stays nice. Probably show up on Thurs. and ride all three days. I'll e-mail Herb in the mornig to resreve food and space.
  5. stoke

stoke ocean minded

Oddometer:
    Nice! Glad to see another 'Strom out there. Looks to be quite the ride from San Diego, so glad I have a more "roady" type of bike for that part of the trip.

I'll have to break out my Butler maps and scout out some of the "lost roads" for the ride out there. I've always wanted to see some of those, quite a few movies are shot on them (terminator series, etc).
  6. stoke

stoke ocean minded

Oddometer:
    Shit. I didn't know it was that far away, just google mapped it! Shooby, you get that new seat yet!? Glad I have the Sargent now!

This will be my longest trip on motorcycle so far, only thing comparable I've done is riding out to the anza borrego desert, riding all day, and riding back or a trip to LA and back on the same day.

Looking forward to the experience, glad I invested in good gear as I'm sure we'll be experiencing quite a few temperature ranges.
  7. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Temps at Gold Point are generally mild in Oct, maybe a light jacket at night. Being the desert, that can vary :deal Can be a bit colder at higher temps (the snow pictures were at the top of White Mtn.

I was on one of the three GS's in the pic, no issues on any of the rides.

There will possibly be gas in town at the event, check with Herb when you make your reservation.

This is a fun event with a great group. Herb goes out of his way for this. He only asks that you respect his property (it's his town). It'd be great if the entertainment shows up again (you'll have to ask jrazor about that) :evil
  8. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, I'm stoked, Stoke. :ricky:beer:kumbaya:dg:snore- repeat

Yah, I reckon it will be a 6-7 hour slog up 15/395. Got the new seat, liking it lots.

Thanks for the input MJS, looked like a fun day there.
    Spoke with Herb on Friday and he confirmed the temps are mild, nights can be chilly. He also confirmed the 2000 gal fuel tank will be full and ready to dispense moto nectar.
  9. stoke

stoke ocean minded

Oddometer:
    Because of the vulnerable position of the oil filter and exhaust, looks I will need to get a skid plate to protect the bottom of the bike-would suck to ride out there and have the trip end early from hitting a rock!
  10. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yupyup

For me, an accessory is my starbucks cupholder. Engine guards, skid plates and such are a necessity.:deal
  11. stoke

stoke ocean minded

Oddometer:
    Aren't adv bikes for going to starbucks!? :D

Yeah, I needed to get skidplate anyway. The location of the oil filter is really surprising, considering the intended use of the DL 650-one knock and you're out of commission.

I got lucky during that big big training day in Anza Borrego, going down that singletrack!

Probably should get a centerstand while I'm at it. Why don't bikes come with these by default? Seems weird.
  12. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    So how late is too late to "reserve" a spot? I'm trying to determine how deep I'm in on the KTM and the big bike is looking more likely....
  13. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:
    There's off road routes in anza borrego?
    I'm out in SD too. Ill probably bust out the Butler maps for the outbound trip then do the 395 and 15 on the way back.

Sent from my iPhone
  14. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    We're leaving on Wed (16th). Caravan?
    Strength in numbers & all that. I'm all for alternate routes to/from.
  15. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan to me. I'll thrown together a route in base camp and end it out to yall to see if ya like it. Just PM me your e-mail address and fuel ranges. :freaky
  16. last in line

last in line “No matter where you go, there you are” Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geez, stoke you are going to complain about a mere 450 miles. :rofl

The best investment I made was a skid plate. I recommend the one from 'narcosis junky' he's on the forum. That plate has saved my bottom end a few times.
  17. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Temps can vary but everynyearvfolks tent and never heard any complaints.

Herb has fuel for the bikes....he has a few 100 gallons for equipment and let's us tap in when needed.

I truck up and carry 20 plus extra as with many of the other guys.

18. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spot for RV or tent? Tents and rv's have plenty of room, just limited on the full hookup aspect.

19. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I think if I bring the little bike, I'll still tent it as it will be just too much fuel to tow the camper over there. Either way I wouldn't need hookups as it's not the high roller RV that many have.
  20. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds perfect! I agree on the gas I used to go in the RV but the gas cost me a grip now several of us who used to RV up split a cabin and saves us all. I generally there for 5 or more days.