Olympia MotoQuest Riding Pants [Purchased]

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by pirate gonzo, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pirate gonzo

pirate gonzo Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone. Today I received my Olympia MotoQuest pants. I plan on also getting the jacket but I really needed a replacement pair of pants.

Initial impression is very good. I pulled out the rain pants right away before trying them on. Once I got them on the knee pads were way too low and I thought right away that I was going to need to hem them but I am thinking differently now after sitting on a bike with them. While they are a bit baggy standing they are almost perfect on the bike. I was able to adjust the knee pads to get them to the right place but they still feel a bit awkward. It may just take some time to break them in and get used to them.

I am 5'11" and around 200lbs. I wear a 34 x 34 size jeans so I took a shot in the dark and ordered a 36" waist. They fit perfect over my pants and I am able to get another layer or two underneath if needed.

I went out to the garage and jumped on a few different bikes from a CBR to a Concours to a KLR and even on a CB550 and the pants felt good sitting on all of them. My other pants (Aerostich Darien) were fine on the KLR but felt tight on the CBR and Concours.

I only tried the rain pants on solo over my jeans and you can tell they are a bit baggy from the waist down to the knee to fit over the pants but from the knee down you can cinch them in with velcro pretty tight. The waist also has belt cinches on each side.

I will update more once I get out and ride with them for a while.

If you have any questions about them let me know.
  2. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have these pants (previous XMoto version) and love them. I'm not a big fan of wearing them, or any over pants, over jeans though. It kills the possibility to use the vents in your motorcycle pants and they are just too hot to wear with jeans in hotter weather. Jeans also make them feel bulky and restrictive. Also with a size up the armor can move around more and they feel bulky. Instead in hot weather 90F+ I use cool max type long johns and open the vent panels and in cool weather (down to 32F) install the rain/wind liner and use a base layer of fleece long underwear. I bought mine in my actual jeans size waist size and they fit perfect over just a base layer.
  3. The_Scottsman

The_Scottsman There's Beer here??

Oddometer:
    On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.
    I've had mine now for about two weeks, and ridden in them for about a week. I'm 6' 1", and just under 200lbs. I ordered them in the same side as my jeans; 36.

The first day I used them, there were moderate rains, and so I wore the rain liner on the outside. Worked great, but the temps were in the high forties, and I could definitely have used another layer under them!

The next day, the temps were in the fifties, and no rain. I left the rain liner out, and tried a pair of jeans underneath. They fit no problem; I'd say that's because of the room left by no liner. I was warm enough, but I'd probably have to wear thermals under the jeans here in the winter.

By the end of the week, temps were up in the mid-70's, and I wore just the pants. The fit was great, and very comfortable. I haven't tried the large vents yet, but it's April in California, so it won't be long before we reach the 90's here. :arg
  4. KoolBreeze

KoolBreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    have the jacket myself, enjoying it quite a bit.

ditto on the questions.

FYI, I am 5'11 and also around 2bills. 17.5' neck, 32/33 arms and 36" waist. some jackets I can get by with a large, the XL Motoquest is ideal "for me".
  5. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Similar build to you,the XL Xmoto(predecessor to the Motoquest)fits me best too.

JR356
  6. pirate gonzo

pirate gonzo Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Good to know about the jacket size, I will probably try the XL first. I am currently wearing a Large jacket and it works fine till I put a couple layers on underneath, I start running out of room.

I took the pants out for their maiden voyage on Saturday morning. It was 36 degrees when I left (Wisconsin) and they seemed to keep me plenty warm. I left the rain liner at home and I was only wearing jeans underneath. The pants were very comfortable and it was easy to maneuver on the bike. The only complaint I have so far is while cruising down a bunch of dirt roads (KLR) I was hitting some puddles left over from the rain the night before. My backside got wet very quickly from the splashing. At first I didn't know what was going on, I thought my butt was just cold. When I got home and took the pants off I noticed that the seat of the pants were wet along with my jeans.

I am going to try to wash them in Nixwax and see if that takes care of the problem.

I can understand the pants not being waterproof since they come with a rain liner but I thought they would be able to take some splashing. The pant legs held the water out without issue and they were getting soaked through the puddles.
  7. KoolBreeze

KoolBreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    can't say the nixwax will do much... the nylon isn't waterproof, only resistant but resistant isn't going to work for the seat when the potential exists for soaking and not just running down with gravity.

love the fact that for the cost of the item you do get a corresponding piece of a rain suit with it.

a note: even fully zipped open to expose mesh it's not as airy as a normal non-convertible full mesh item. but this is acceptable to me for what it is.
  8. pirate gonzo

pirate gonzo Weirdo

Oddometer:

It was water being kicked up from the rear tire. I figure I would Nixwax it and see what happens, I'm not too worried about it.

I think the fact that you are getting a rain suit included is the main reason I went with the pants and will pick up the jacket in the near future. I don't think I will ever wear the rain pants inside but instead just keep them on the bike for rain or extreme cold days.

Prior to these pants I was wearing Aerostich Darien pants which have zero venting so any type of venting will be a step up for me.

Overall these have been the best pants for comfort, fit, and maneuverability that I have ever owned. I just hope the jacket is as nice as the pants and I will be one happy, comfortable rider.
  9. BillyGoat69

BillyGoat69 n00b

Oddometer:
    This thread is a bit dated, but I figured someone might have an opinion on my question. I recently purchased the BMW Boulder 2 Jacket but found it too hot to wear the shell in 90 degree weather. I had the original Boulder jacket and found it the perfect jacket for warm/cold weather, but the new one is simply too hot. (I guess updates are not necessarily improvements!) Does anyone have thoughts/experience on the Motoquest Jacket being too hot to wear comfortably on those warm summer days? I am looking for the perfect one-jacket that can be used for both hot and cold days. Liked the styling of the Motoquest and as long as no one says to avoid it as a summer jacket, I figured I would order one.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  10. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Read through this thread

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=989508

I have no doubt it would work in areas with dry heat. I'm not sure how it would do in humidity, but I imagine much better than goretex. I almost bought one, but didn't like a couple a features on it. It's a real nice jacket for the $$, though.
    scapee likes this.