Looking for some Ottawa area riders (BMW or otherwise)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by dialdn, Jan 17, 2009.

1. bumblebee1

bumblebee1 All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer:
    I cut across from N-D-de la Salette toward Poltimore many times. Windy roads.:D
    This is my first 50/50 bike(sort of) since I was 15. Started in the trails but progressed to street as soon as possible. Now I'm fed up with straight lines and stupid car drivers. It's like discovering a whole new world. I gave up riding 2-3 years ago because of boredom and lack of adventure. Now the motivation has come back stronger than ever.

Check this out.

Last May in front of my house
    I just got this bike on the road at the end of June.

[​IMG]

22 July, I went for a short run to test the windscreen. I wasn't 5 minutes from my home when a car turned in front of me.

[​IMG]

I must be more careful. ATGATT is a must. I broke my right knee. Could have been worse. Got lucky.
    I will be paying much more attention to other drivers from now on, until I hit the trails.
    Life happens.
  2. bumblebee1

Oddometer:
    I tried to get my wife to learn but she had trouble with the clutch and dropped the bike. No big deal, but since my accident, she let me know that bikes don't interest her anymore. I get to ride solo now.:D
    As for knobbies, I tried to fit a 3.50-18 on the front but it was too big. The fork brace and fender wouldn't fit anymore. Had to make a special extension bracket to lift it away from the tire. At the time, Shinko had no 3.00-18 in north america. Now IRC has them. Shinko is rated at 72mph and IRC at 92mph. I get them from BikeBandit and have them delivered to Ogdensburg at the UPS store. FYI.

I hope you get your wife riding the bike. Much more pleasant than having a pasenger. :thumb
  3. dialdn

dialdn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is nasty. I remembering seeing your post elsewhere on this forum. Glad to hear you are still riding. My wife was against motorcycles up to a year ago but now is even considering riding with me and maybe one of her own down the line.

I agree on ATGATT. I have 2 young girls and will do all I can to be well read and practice, practice & practice. In fact, I just got my P3 lights today for a bit more added viz. April 25th is my MSF refresher with my GSA. I just hope I have enough time to get some miles on it before the course :-) Much rather drop it alone than in a crowd.

D
  4. bumblebee1

Oddometer:
    I once read an article about 90% of motorcycle accidents were the rider's fault. Too fast for the road, lane changes without signaling, etc. Not necessarily a legal point of view, just a preventative one. In my case, I was driving a little too fast for the amount of traffic around me. There are no guarantees but one can manipulate the odds.
    I guess the best way to look at it is that all other vehicles are boulders rolling and bouncing down a hill... must not hit any. No intelligent life, just rocks.
  5. dialdn

dialdn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Everyone is out to get us. And, with things like the senior population doubling in the next few years, we need to be even more careful. I drive my pick-up the same way.

D
  6. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:

Thanks for the linky's. Ill have to explore that part of PQ as I normally roll around the Rouge/148/Pine hill area.
    I have to tell you I am getting pretty antsy (as I always do in Feb) but more so now as the ice has left my road and I couldnt give a shit about getting the bike filthy (Hard to do with my Bonneville as it was too sweet to get full of shit and corruption)
    I fired it up and popped through some gears.. I also made it legal like as I got my plates and insurance up to snuff.
    Maybe
    Just maybe, winter has said adieu? (yeah I know I just f***** it for all of us for another 2 months!:D )
  7. frazman

frazman Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer:
    Hey lads - I'm new to the game and based in Ottawa (Westboro). Bought myself a '98 KLR 650 with low mileage to get into the game this summer. Haven't ridden much except for trail riding up in Calabogie on an XR200, but have spent the last 20+ years on mountain bikes.

Keep me in the loop for weekend rides. Would like to string rides together from town out to Calabogie - backroads, K&P Trail, powerlines, etc. West Quebec looks interesting too.

dialdn - you look familiar....you're from Manotick by any chance?

frazman
  8. dialdn

dialdn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Frazman:

Kewl, the more the merrier.

Yep, grew up there for a bit then worked at Ambler IGA, did St.Leonard's and St.Mark's.

PM and we can sort it out :-)

EDIT: I am guessing while we never biked togther, we had connected over mapping the Kanata Lakes trails.

D
  9. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Manotick.

10. frazman

Oddometer:
    Ah, yes, it's all coming back to me....you've got the same handle over at one of the mtb forums....and yeah, we were at St.L together...

Lookin' forward to perhaps riding together this summer....

frazman
  11. frazman

Oddometer:
    Oh no...another one! :D

Were you at St. Leonards or MPS?
  12. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    MPS then RVMS in Kars, then SC
  13. dialdn

dialdn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kewl, small world. I just needed to get into something like a mountain bike with a motor.

D
  14. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    Manotick for me as well.
  15. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    All this talk of mountain bikes has me jonesing for another bike (sold the FS last year)
    I am looking for a hardtail...
  16. dialdn

dialdn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a lock out front and rear. Awesome for "road riding" when family keeps me near home.

D
  17. dialdn

dialdn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a Facebook St.Leonard's alumni group. I posted some class pics and I think you are in the one from 1976.
  18. frazman

Oddometer:
    gotta check that out...

hey pelvis!

frazman
  19. frazman

Oddometer:
    I hear ya....my mountain biking motor has been losing horsepower every year! too many injuries!
  20. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    is anyone here in Ottawa going on any of the organized rides that rally connex or rally raid is putting on ? rock hound rally or rally raid or others?