GEIGERRIG Pressurized Hydration Packs

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by GEIGERRIG, Feb 5, 2011.

1. funsummer

funsummer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gargoyle,
    i think i will get the rig 1200 and take the 3l bag from that and have the versatility of a big and small bag.
    i much prefer not having a tank bag when its rough.
    Joe l:1drink
  2. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love my Rig 700 for its convenience & build quality, but two things continue to irritate:

First and foremost, I cannot make the water stored within taste like anything but the hot vinyl garden hose you drank from at least once as a kid. It's horrid, and I dread every swig I can so easily take from it. Yes, it's been washed. I even left water in it for a couple of weeks hoping that taste would go away, but no luck.:puke2

Second, the hose from the pump bulb to the bladder comes off far too easily, and generally I only notice after I have gotten underway. A minor gripe, really, compared to the first one.
  3. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I turned mine inside out and stuffed a water bottle in it so it would stand up in the dishwasher and ran it through the meg cycle 5 or six times until the taste went away. That was a few months ago and now I find the taste is back a little but pretty mild. I'm happy now.

4. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:

I did the same thing but only washed it a couple timed.
    Fresh and clean now. It is awesome that it is so easy to clean.
  5. Nailhead

Oddometer:
    I don't have a dishwasher, so that's not a solution that's conveniently accessible to me.

I got a PM from Bob Geiger suggesting I give him a call for a solution, so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  6. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Maybe inside out with hotter water and soap?
    It is so easy to turn inside out to do this. I also like to dry mine while I am at it before turning it inside in and using it again.

About the pressure hose, mine did the same. I was able to feed just enough slack hose towards the bulb and it is not as annoying anymore.

I hope it helps.
  7. rthuey

rthuey twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer:
    insanity is not as easy as i make it look
    why would he not want to post it in thread for all to see?
  8. Nailhead

Oddometer:
    Can't help you there.

Like I said, I'll post what I find out.
  9. DeFens

DeFens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Received my Rig 500 Hi-Viz a couple of weeks ago, and tried it out last week on a 120 mile ride on the Mt. Loop Highway on my F650GS. On pavement or dirt road it stayed in place and very comfortable on my back. The venting job on the backpack seems to work pretty well, it stayed relatively cool even in fairly warm temperatures.

The spray part was great! My wife wanted to wash her hands and I was able to give her a nice blast of water; very handy. Of course, also works great for sipping while underway. I liked the angled bite value under my XD-3 helmet.

The free filter and new hose were backordered when I got my pack, but arrived earlier this week. I swapped the hose out, clicked the short and long hoses together, and placed the filter into the pack for future use if I need to go into filtration mode. It will be very handy to have that all ready to just pop together in a few seconds when needed to refill from a lake or stream.

The water from my first use did taste a bit plasticy, but I'll give it a wash and perhaps a soak in water with some baking soda in it, that should do the trick. In all, a very robust and nicely designed unit!
  10. flyingreg

flyingreg just ridin' along

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI on my purchasing experience. I purchased a 1200 rig in camo. I got the pack in a few days and a week later got the free goodies. I am very happy with the hydration pack and the filter kit. I won't have to pack a water filter anymore, saving me about a pound. The pack is well built and should last a lifetime. Bob is very good at getting back to you to answer questions.

I am very pleased with the whole purchase experience. Way to go Geigerrig! You won me over as a satisfied customer. Never suck again!
  11. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried some Mouthwash (diluted) as a way to clean and get rid of the new plastic taste? I was told to try this... Havent yet. YMMV
  12. Grizzler

Grizzler Gas Passer For Hire

Oddometer:
    I used single malt scotch (undiluted) instead of mouth wash. Took several rinses and taste tests to confirm...

No, seriously, mine came as ordered in about a week. Works as advertised. Cleans up nicely, etc.
    The plastic taste was not strong, and started to fade fairly quickly.

And #1 wife (aka LavaGrrl) was not convinced until I resuscitated her somewhere in deepest British Columbia with a blast from my Geigerrig. We will be ordering a second one for next summer.

This gear emulates the pressure bags I use to squeeze blood into you in my operating room! By intravenous of course!

WDITOT?

==Grizzler
  13. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grizz - I like your Single Malt option better!

ANYONE - has someone rigged up one of these into a Tankbag ?
    I dont want to be wearing one while riding gravel and dirt.
    If so, which model would work in a Wolfman Enduro ? Any pics?
  14. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks to ADV inmates for embracing this excellent product and thanks to Bob at Geigerrig for giving us free goodies, and listening to our input.

Time to let this thread float. :thumb
  15. Miles Tugeaux

Miles Tugeaux Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wait - wait! I have a question!

Has anyone used one of these to drink while wearing a full face helmet? How does it work? Do you spray up from under the chin piece, or open the visor and squirt down?

I guess that's more than one question...

Tnx,

MT
  16. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    I have used it that way, and have no problem snaking the tube up between my chin and the helmet. Indeed, the helmet tends to hold the tube in place, which lets me bite for a drink whenever I want without fumbling around.
  17. flyingreg

flyingreg just ridin' along

Oddometer:
    I stumbled onto this while looking at the Hydrapak website, hydrapak manufactures the Geigerrig bladder. I know some have been experiencing some bad water taste with their new units, so thought this post appropriate. I do not represent either company nor do I know if this method works for the GR unit. YMMV inmates!

How to Remove “Plastic Taste” from Reservoir

Some users can be more sensitive to plastic than others. We find that a “plastic taste” occurs upon first several uses but can be easily removed by taking the following steps:

Fill Reservoir
    Squeeze a fresh lemon into the reservoir
    Bleed the tube to ensure that lemon juice is thoroughly exposed to the entire system
    Disconnect the Plug-N-Play connector.
    Put Reservoir in the Freezer
    After frozen, thaw then rinse and the residual taste should be gone

Now I ask Bob Geiger if this is the recommended method for the Geigerrig units.
  18. GEIGERRIG

GEIGERRIG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bob Geiger here from GEIGERRIG...

Sorry about the delayed response to some of the inquiries here at ADV Rider. I've read through everything, and it looks as though you all are providing great feedback and advise to one another.

We are also grateful for all of the e-mails and correspondence that we receive. We're working on beefing up our customer service department in order to continue to supply the same level of service that you are accustomed to and deserve.

We are grateful for you guys here at ADV!

We've been very busy designing new gear and getting it in the hands of all those who could benefit from it and who need it:

Afghanistan #3.JPG
  19. sleak

sleak TANSTAAFL

Oddometer:
    This reminded me of something:

Fill Reservoir
    Squeeze a fresh lemon into the reservoir
    Bleed the tube to ensure that lemon juice is thoroughly exposed to the entire system
    Disconnect the Plug-N-Play connector.
    Put Reservoir in the Freezer
    After frozen, thaw then rinse and the residual taste should be gone[/COLOR][/B]

I don't know about the freezing part, but when I was in the Army, I always had a small bulb of RealLemon juice to squirt a bit in my canteens; it made the water taste better, and did wonders for rinsing the dry, gummy mouth taste after marching, etc.

I think the first thing I buy after I get a GEIGERRIG bladder is some RealLemon.
  20. sleak

sleak TANSTAAFL

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to being able to get a drink past my chinbar without stopping.