Around the World in 800 Days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I thought.
    Everyone that has never been tells me not to go because it is too dangerous. But everyone that has been there tells me to go for it and exercise normal caution
  2. R-W

R-W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wine??? who needs wine with that girl and that smile? :D

Hell... I would drink screw cap. :lol3 RW

3. Snobike Mike

Snobike Mike Mediumfastguy

Oddometer:
    Funny how they don't rank Canada......:rofl
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I thought it was just "ice"...........burrrrrrrrrr!
  5. huntertim214

huntertim214 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey...what's wrong with screw cap? You won't be worrying about TCA that way right? maybe I'm just blinded because a fair number of local wineries in MI use screw tops (and MI is not exactly known for stellar wine)... but PlumpJack used screw caps on some reserve cab before, so it can't be all too terrible right?
    Sorry...back to the adv riding!! when you're feeling well enough that is.
  6. Starstruck

Starstruck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly right! Can't ride around the world and miss Africa. Besides, we'll all be cheering you on.....:wink:
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:

I knew there were other knowledgeable wine geeks riding along with me.
    Every time I pop a corked cork on a wine I had been saving for years, I wish for more screwcaps.
    Like the 1999 Leoville Barton I had a couple of years ago. But I mentioned it to them at the winery last month and they said they would mail me a replacement........I just dont have an address to send it to right now
  8. huntertim214

huntertim214 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just send it to my address... I'll mail the empty bottle to you when you get settled. :1drink:evil
    I'm waiting for you to hit chianti... I've always had a taste for sangiovese for some reason, even on it's own. See if you can slide a 2006 Fontodi Flaccianello (sp?) in the side boxes of the bmw ;)
  9. BroncoBilly

BroncoBilly Coming close, but never there !

Oddometer:
    Great story of your adventure, just found it !!
    We (me and my wife) just finished our 1 year Americas trip from Alaska to Ushuaia on 2 GSA's and now back home again in The Netherlands.
    Knowing that you are now somewhere in the North of France and heading our way be sure that you are most welcome to stay at our place, we live in the South center part of the Netherlands close to Zaltbommel.
    By the way . . . . . . still have around 600 bottles of wine in my cellar and happy to taste a lot of them together with you.

Let us know when interested and w'll give you our address !!
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Ha
    With an invitation like that, I might never leave.........or at least for 600 days........
    I will be there around the middle of the month.
    Send me a private message with your address and contact info.
    I will let you know when I am getting close.
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
    Lalo
  11. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    This ought to be good! I see a lot of beautiful pictures of the area around of Zaltbommel in the near future!
  12. Adventures57

Adventures57 n00b

Oddometer:
    Lalo....you might as well have some coca tea with all those pills your taking...this will help you feel much better, you also have to purge yourself what you have is a sever amoebae atack dude
  13. Snobike Mike

Snobike Mike Mediumfastguy

Oddometer:
    And don't forget the igloos (made of ice)
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:

No way......eh
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:

I see a lot of empty beer bottles one day and a lot of empty wine bottles the next in my future.
    And I have not been "training" either for the past week and maybe lost 5 kilos too.
    But might make for entertaining photos
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:

Thanks L

I am feeling a little better today.
    And coca is the answer for everything to your crazy Colombians :)
    Hey post the link to your upcoming ADV ride in California on my blog. You might get some takers. Looks like fun!!!!!!
  17. mary

mary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This passage would make a really cool wall mural!
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I am leaving Lima today.
    I am so excited to get back on the moto and explore more of Europe. First stop.......Champagne!

I am feeling so much better now.
    Yesterday I was still feeling weak and a bit sick. I had not eaten much in 5 days. Kathe wanted to go to this sushi place in Miraflores. I thought a sushi roll might be not such a bad thing for my stomach since it is mostly rice. Just getting out of bed and walking to the car, I felt so dizzy, it felt like I might pass out. I was thinking that this might not be such a good idea after all. As it turns out, the sushi place was an all-you-can-eat sushi place. There was no other way to order.
    Well, to make a long story short......and ten sushi rolls later, I am feeling GREAT.
    Turns out I just needed some food in my body. Kathe said I look "horrible" and skinny. I lost some weight in my face. Geeeee thanks :(
    So I am off to France again to fatten myself up
    Love the yogurt there!!!
  19. nameless

nameless 100% recyclable

Oddometer:
    Good to hear (err...to read..)!
  20. Rodsbike

Rodsbike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Southern Africa is fine. New York, Chicago, London and Tokyo etc can be dangerous ........ depends where you go and your behaviour. Just take the precaution you would take anywhere in the world. From personal experience I would give Zimbabwe a miss due to corrupt cops. Stop you and find any reason, and I mean any reason to impose a spot fine. Pay on the spot, no receipts etc. Not my scene. Having said that the general run of the mill population of Zim are such great friendly people. Go via Botswana or Mozambique. Remember that if a speed restriction is 60KMH do not exceed 60KMH. Also be friendly and have time to chat. That alone works wonders. But then I am a born and bred African and I love this place - albeit a white African. If it wasn't for the politicians Africa would be the best place on Earth. Hang on, without politicians the world would be a far better place. When here contact me, else my favourite Sangoma (witch doctor to you Westernized heathens :norton) will haunt you forever. With the Rand US$ exchange rate you will have a great time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.