Tiger 800 problems; for reference only please

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Rob Dirt, Apr 18, 2012.

1. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try this.
    http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3355/PN-420-5425/LED-Turn-Signal-Kit-Triumph-Tiger-800-XC
  2. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Typical Touratech USA - they are 99 EUR in the German store - including 19% VAT. Can't help but the Touratech USA guys have some very interesting pricing policies.

Get someone in Germany to buy them for you possibly when he/she travels to Europe. Will save you $50. I'll wait until one of my colleagues travels again or until someone from the family comes visiting again.

I also plan to get some other stuff from Germany soon - if somebody wants to piggy back on the order, let me know. It'll be in the next 3 to 4 weeks.
  3. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. And I was also told that the connectors are different than stock AND there are no installation directions directly related to the Tiger 800. Read a post where they have been installed and the end result was great but they were a pita with no directions. They also don't stick out as far which is a plus.
  4. Old Way

Old Way MOTU

Oddometer:
    This week while drudging along in traffic, (90+ deg), I stalled the bike at an intersection and it refused to start. The engine would slowly crank over but would not start. pushed off the highway and after 3 minutes I tried to start it and it fired up as usual. I turn the key off and it re-fires immediately, slip the clutch to intentionally stall it and it would not start. Agian a short wait and it re-lights.
    Tried it again with cold engine and it would start right away. Out of town for a few days, will take to dealer and see whats up. BTW, had the recall ecu done before this happened. I rarely stall the bike so not sure if this effected the engine management.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. yal

yal n00b

Oddometer:
    My gas gauge seems to have issues. I'll put 4 gallons in after the light comes on, and the gauge barely goes over half. It doesn't move until 75 miles or so, then works normally. First service is due in about 100 miles, so i'll have it checked/fixed then.
  6. the_babaji

the_babaji Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know what your dealership is like but...

Better put on a go pro video of you tanking up. This way you have concrete proof for the service dept. Then maybe you can get some love.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
  7. dirtconnector

dirtconnector erythematic nucha

Oddometer:
    Round 3 of the broken turn indicator light. Pisser.
  8. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
  9. LotusKTM

LotusKTM Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Tigger Roadie at 3500k miles has developed a clunk in the front end somewhere. After diagnosing it, I determined the steering head bearings were loose. I read around on several boards and found that apparently there is a TSB from Triumph regarding this issue. No one seems to have any real specifics, except they replace the double locking nut arrangement with a single castle nut and new washer. I decided for now to not take it in, since I don't trust my local dealer all that much and wanted to keep riding while the late season weather held, so I tightened the bearings myself. However, this may account for some of the complaints about the front end. :deal
  11. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    2. It's started ticking at about 5k or so. The engine makes a bit of noise like tappets. I talked to the dealer and got the same answer that some guys on the tiger forum got... "some of them do that...dont worry about it"

Does it only tick at start up? I know my Tiger isn't a 800, but it is still a Triumph Triple. My 06 955i ticks at start up and for a couple of minute of driving, then goes away. Dealer said that the valves are just a tad loose and don't worry about it. Tight valves are bad, but slightly loose is fine as they will tighten over time. This was right after a valve adjustment at around 14,000 miles last year. Still does it and runs strong at 20ish thousand miles.
  12. backwoodsKLR

backwoodsKLR Ride more, Post Less.

Oddometer:
    2013 XC with around 1400m so far..

Only problem I have is front wheel hop from 40-50MPH. May try some new tires soon. Dealer says he can't feel it and has never heard of anyone else having this problem.

Also, dealer installed my heated grips incorrectly, lead came lose and blew a fuse. So they ordered a new set under warranty. Week and a half later, no sign of them...

Sounds like I need to sit down and do a bolt check like I have to do on my KLR from time to time... :lol3
  13. andykeck

andykeck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine started ticking right about that same mileage. It does it all the time. At the 6k service last summer, the dealer service guy said it sounded like the other Tigers they had in. We'll see how things look/sound at the next service interval.
  14. Ian43ktm

Ian43ktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check the bottom sprocket on the timing chain , behind the cover on the rhs. My friends street triple motor was noisy and I thought it was valve clearance. There is a bolt , 6 or 8mm allen key that was loose. Once tight the noise was gone. Similar to the primary nut problem for those that know the rfs KTM engines. The noise travels and sounds like top end.
  15. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    This noise is something really annoying in my opinion. Although I've heard the same story, "they all do it", it may be the thing that will push me over the edge to sell it. Mine is approaching 6K miles now.
  16. frytown

frytown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    I have used these on a number of bikes successfully (but not the Tiger): http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=604190

I do not recommend the LED turn signals. They look great in your garage, but on they road, people can not see them. They'll get it right eventually, but not yet that I have seen.
  19. andykeck

andykeck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I mean to pull that cover off and take a look, but I need to order the gasket first so I can button it back up right away.
  20. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Oh well... I would really appreciate a follow up. If it fixes the "tappet like ticking sound" it'll be great.

And shouldn't this be covered under warranty?