Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. Mastodon

Mastodon Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer:
    mmmmm....an entire tea pot made of chocolate.:dg And what if it could actually be used to make tea with, slightly melting as the water heated, making a chocolate tea. oooooh.

Sorry. Been in the basement too long. :loadedGo back to talking about bikes or whatnot. I might chip in with something useful one day...maybe.
  2. thistle66

thistle66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yeah, what a worthless skid plate. It's skimpier than the triumph one. Why bother if that's the case.
  3. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I may have had a bit of a hangover last ride on the 900,I will have to take it out again on the freeway and try again.
  4. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Question is ; dark or milk?
  5. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Maybe needs a carb/TB sync? I always knew it was time to sync the TBs on my RT when my pinkie finger would go to sleep. Sync them and it was glass smooth again.
  6. MarcoETVitaly

MarcoETVitaly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    So, I'm not sure whether this mod....
    [​IMG]

Is such a good idea now. I took the bolts out of mine today to fit a washer to space them out further but I found that both bolts were bent. :eek1 My bolts are stainless steel so should be quite tough but.....???? I haven't done THAT much off road on it.

So I think that maybe just longer, wider pegs would be better.
  8. ivara

ivara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    any grade markings on the bolts? I've heard regular SS bolts can be pretty soft....
  9. Bryn1203

Bryn1203 Dances with spaniels

Oddometer:
    I'm an admirer of scramblers but ride a Uly & wouldn't want to down grade on bhp/tork - so I am mightily impressed and enthused by these figures seem amazing to my ignorant eyes.

How does the motor behave - i.e. would it make a decent road bike ? 92 lb/ft torque at 5.5rpm :evil :eek1
  10. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    4.7 I think. Yes I'll try to find some high tensile replacements.
  11. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    Better with grade 8 or allen head bolts would be 10.9
  12. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a road bike, it's totally brilliant, smooth, tractorable and a delight to ride. It is hard to find superlatives to do it justice... even with any natural bias that I might possess! I have a lot of admiration for Erik's creations so I would never suggest you sell your Buell and replace it with a Scram but if your budget will allow, why not have both!

By way of qualification, I have at my disposal about 25 motorcycles which I can ride whenever I choose but the Keys to the Scrambler (and Speed Triple 1050) are always first off the hook!
  13. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Thats a possibility,all Ive done is an oil change since I have had it in the way of maintenance. My R1150R was always happier after a carb synch.

Heres a pic of the bike with the skidplate on it,it is only as wide as the frame rails but comes back to just in ft of the oil filter. I dont have it on the bike currently so havent taken a better picture of it.Its the KX450F glideplate.
  14. mondokat

mondokat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks almost identical to the OEM skid plate, except it doesn't have the holes in front...
  15. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

I bought the Fork Oil last year, finally while swapping the tires (now on Conti Trail Attacks) it seemed too good of an opportunity not to "upgrade" the forks. I went with the first version, 7 1/2 wt at 140mm and am very impressed thus far. Only one 30 mile test ride, mostly to scrub in the new sneakers but I realized that I was crossing some bumps in comfort and control that have made me cringe in the past. Interestingly, while perusing the shop manual for torque numbers I noted that in the general specs section they called for 120mm (maybe 123?) on the carbed Scramblers but 143mm for the injected ones. My bike is an '08, which in the rest of the world was injected but in the USA came with carbs. It makes me wonder what changes were made, I thought that the injection (and the different tank to fit it) was the only thing that was different.

Bruce

I had intended to include a "Thank You" to Blacktiger for the mod, I apparently got distracted when I heard 'Your dinner is on the table' and forgot!
  16. mikejohn

mikejohn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, and be careful threading a SS bolt into a SS nut, turn them too fast and they will gall up and seize, i use SS nyloc nuts so i can put a dab of grease on the threads to keep it from galling
  17. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Its pretty basic,I dont ride this bike off road much so its better then nothing.
  18. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:
    Last night was my first time to try the bike with the PIAA 100/110 Watt lamp installed. It made a huge difference with the low beam, Brighter and I got about another 20 feet of light.

High beam still sucks . A big dead zone right in front of the bike but it does light up the sides of the road . I can live this setup for now.
  19. wiseanhyzer

wiseanhyzer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like we have different PIAA lights but I agree. I think the low beam is more functional than the high beam. Oh well.
  20. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:
    I think the PIAA part # was 70456. I got it for around $40 shipped to my door from Ridersdirect.